bigkev is offline Scamming Traitor

are you drinking enough water?

We all know that water is important but I've never seen it written down like this before.

75% of Americans are chronically dehydrated.

In 37% of Americans, the thirst mechanism is so weak that it is often mistaken for hunger.

Even MILD dehydration will slow down one's metabolism as much as 3%.

One glass of water shuts down midnight hunger pangs for almost 100% of the dieters studied in a U-Washington study.

Lack of water is the #1 trigger of daytime fatigue.

Preliminary research indicates that 8-10 glasses of water a day could significantly ease back and joint pain for up to 80% of
    sufferers.

A mere 2% drop in body water can trigger fuzzy short-term memory,
    trouble with basic math, and difficulty focusing on the computer screen or

Drinking 5 glasses of water daily decreases the risk of colon cancer by 45%, plus it can slash the risk of breast cancer by 79%, and one is 50% less likely to develop bladder cancer.

Are you drinking the amount of water you should every day?

Neo
    Neo is offline Senior Member
    Bump....great post Kev!!!!!

NightOp is offline Member
    good post..

shonuff is offline Associate Member
    wow interesting post.. i think i drink more than enough water over 2 gallons in a day.

devland2 is offline Junior Member
    bump

Pheedno is offline Respected Member
    1-2 Gal. a day will keep the insanity away

tryingtogetbig is offline Whiney Member
    hey bk, i've been on my parents about getting in shape and drinking more water (meaning less cokes). would you shoot me a pm and let me know where you got those figures - if it all came from one spot.

thanks bro,

ttgb

BigD is offline Associate Member
    Good post.

I remember reading that somewhere just the other day but cant remember for the life of me.

$uperman is offline Member
    i drink it like a fish,.,.,.,.,.

MinnieMe is offline Female Member
    Lack of water is the #1 trigger of daytime fatigue.
    Posted.. by BigKev.............

Okay.. so how much water do you think i should take knowing the Fatigue.. i have to deal with now a days.......LOL........j/k.......
    Good post though...............

M-M...

Terinox is offline The One & Only
    Damn, I just realized that I don't, not as much as I used to, well, it's time for me to go find another water bottle. I'm gonna go get a drink, bye!

daveroth is offline Banned
    Bump for this post and ****** ** ******.

Last edited by bigkev; 05-01-2002 at 03:03 PM.

broncojosh is offline Senior Member
    I try for 2 gallons of water daily...especially when cycling

BigD is offline Associate Member
    I drink a gallon a day, but being I sit at a desk all day it's hard. You dont work up a thirst sitting on you ass.

Nice to see ya postin again Minnie Me

yes

sp9
    sp9 is offline MMA Competition Sentinel
    Here was a 1999 study on fluid intake ans bladder cancer..

http://www.aafp.org/afp/991115ap/tips/24.html

Daily Fluid Intake and the Risk of Bladder Cancer in Men

Bladder cancer is the fourth most common cancer (excluding nonmelanoma skin cancer) among American men. The development of bladder cancer may in part relate to the direct effects of carcinogenic compounds in the urine on the bladder mucosa. A high consumption of fluids may reduce such exposure by diluting the urine and by reducing the duration of exposure because of an increased frequency of urination. Michaud and colleagues examined the relationship between fluid intake and bladder cancer in men participating in the Health Professionals Follow-up Study.

This large-scale study began in 1986 and initially included 51,529 men aged 40 through 75 years who responded to the questionnaire mailed to them. Follow-up questionnaires were subsequently mailed during the 10-year study. A total of 47,909 men were eligible for follow-up.

The questionnaire included queries on dietary intake and the consumption of 22 different beverages, such as water, milk, juice, coffee and alcohol. Other information obtained from the questionnaire included the person's medical history, smoking history, exercise habits, height, weight and use of medications. A diagnosis of bladder cancer was confirmed by review of the medical records, information from a family member if necessary and review of the pathology report, which was available in 90 percent of the patients.

A total of 252 cases of bladder cancer occurred in the study population. Advanced age and smoking were found to have the strongest correlation with bladder cancer. Compared with men who never smoked, men with 65 or more pack-years of smoking were 3.7 times more likely to have cancer. With respect to age, the relative risks of bladder cancer were 5.6 in men aged 70 through 74, 6.2 in those aged 75 through 79 and 11.6 in those aged 80 or older.

In the age-adjusted analysis of the data, daily total fluid intake reported in 1986 was inversely associated with a risk of bladder cancer. The relative risk for the highest quintile of fluid intake (greater than 2,531 mL per day) was 0.51, compared with the lowest quintile (less than 1,290 mL per day). Sixty-one cases of bladder cancer occurred among men reporting a daily fluid intake of less than 1,290 mL. In contrast, 33 cases occurred in men reporting a daily fluid intake in excess of 2,531 mL. For daily fluid intakes between these two extremes, the incidence of bladder cancer was 54 cases in men who drank 1,290 to 1,674 mL of fluid daily, 57 cases in those with a daily fluid intake of 1,675 to 2,050 mL and 47 cases in those with a daily fluid intake of 2,051 to 2,531 mL.

Other than water, no specific beverage had a statistically significant association with the risk of bladder cancer. Men who drank more than 1,440 mL (six or more cups) of water daily had a 51 percent reduction in bladder cancer risk compared with the risk in men who drank less than 240 mL (1 cup) of water per day. No association was found between an increased risk of bladder cancer and intake of caffeine-containing beverages, specifically coffee and tea.

The authors conclude that a high daily intake of fluids is associated with a reduced risk of bladder cancer. The risk reduction was 7 percent for every 240-mL increment of daily fluid intake. Unlike previous studies, the current study did not reveal an increased risk of bladder cancer among men who consumed alcohol or coffee. In view of the findings from this study, the authors recommend a generous daily intake of fluids because a high fluid intake appears to reduce the risk of bladder cancer.

JEFFREY T. KIRCHNER, D.O.

Michaud DS, et al. Fluid intake and the risk of bladder cancer in men. N Engl J Med May 6, 1999;340:1390-7.

justme is offline Associate Member
    I am drinking any where from 5-6 L of water a day.

Kasushi sakuraba is offline Junior Member
    Why does Big Kev always have such good post! BUMP! I'll get some water right now!

jbrand is offline Member
    very nice post bro.

Canes4Ever is offline Banned
    bumpidity bump bump bump !

Originally posted by Kasushi sakuraba
    Why does Big Kev always have such good post! BUMP! I'll get some water right now!
    How do you think he got to be BIG KEV ????

Destructo is offline Associate Member
    I love water.....

Babyweight is offline Female Member
    Wow thats interesting. I did not know that about the breast cancer. I drink 1 gallon to a gallon and a half a day and if I miss a day and only drink half a gallon or less, I can feel the difference. I feel very sluggish.

Shredz is offline Respected Member
    drinking a minimum of a 1 1/2 gallons a day. and love it...I have to agree with you on that one babyweight..if I don't drink alot the day before i feel it the next day forsure.

The only downfall of drinking that much water is having to wake up every single night to take a wizzzzz..sometimes more then once what a pain in the ass..

silverfox is offline Retired Moderator
    waking up one time a night is bonus...... 4-6l per day for me, and try to double that when cutting.

DevilsDeity is offline Anabolic Member
    Why is urine yellow?

. Urochrome, the pigment that gives urine its characteristic color, is derived from urobilin, which in turn is mainly derived from bilirubin, produced from hemoglobin in red blood cells. Normal urine is yellow to amber in color, depending on the concentration of pigment.

Inadequate fluid intake will result in deeply colored urine. Variations in color may indicate certain disorders, but the effect of drink, food and medication should be considered before concluding that the color is abnormal.

Pale yellow or colorless urine indicates a dilute urine where lots of water is being excreted.

DR. MERCOLA'S COMMENT:
    Absolutely amazing. The 64 ounces that the survey references would actually cause dehydration in the majority of the population. The amount of water most of us need is far more. The simple way to calculate that would be to take one quart of water for every 50 pounds of body weight. So the 64 ounces of water would only work for children and small women. The average adult is 150 pounds which would be three quarts of water, and many individuals are over 200 pounds which would be one full gallon of water.

arthurb999 is offline Anabolic Member
    Originally posted by Canes4Ever

How do you think he got to be BIG KEV ????
    Are you saying that Kev is big because of water retention?

jk

Ajax is offline Senior Member
    Think about this: drinking lots of ice water can burn off Calories.

Ice water is 0 degrees celcius. The body is 37 degees. To raise one CC (one mL) of water one degress celcius requires one calorie (notice the small "c" in calorie, we measure food values in Kcals, which is usually denoted as Calorie, with a capital "C".)

So, to raise onle liter of ice water to body temperature require 37 kcal, or 37 Calories.

Drinking 3 liters of ice water burns off 111 Calories--or slightly more than walking one mile! (Less impressively stated, it would be about half a Snickers candy bar.)

One more reason to drink lots of water when cutting!

I am a big sweaty guy and I live in the tropics. I drink a minimum of 4 liters a day and if I am outside exercising in the heat, I can drink up to 8 or 10 liters a day.
    Last edited by Ajax; 05-04-2002 at 04:06 AM.

tie
    tie is offline Junior Member
    I drink about 8 litres a day. The bizarre thing is that I seem to pee about twice as much. Free PhD to anyone who can explain that one?!!!!

rangerdudeleads is offline Senior Member
    I drink about a gallon of water Mon -Fri

bump for more discussion

CatGrabber is offline Member
    bump

Originally posted by daveroth
    Bump for this post and ****** ** ******.

why was this edited?

Sema is offline Associate Member
    Bump, great post Kev,
    Before i started lifting (some half a year now) i didnt drink half a gallon a day, but since i'm going to the gym, i drink double, body just seemed to ask it

Ironweb is offline Member
    That is all I drink. Once your body gets used to water you crave water instead of coke or whatever else you choose to drink.

manijak is offline Associate Member
    can u substitute water 4 beer?
    mmmmmm than 2 gallons a day sound GREAT

metzger66 is offline Associate Member

AWSOME

Awsome post bigkev. I never knew water was that important. Now I do!!

Metzger66

manijak is offline Associate Member
    http://www.anabolicreview.com/vbulle...=water+vs+coke

I guess they thought I was joking....hehehe don't blame them

Thread Information