Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SnaX is offline Anabolic Member

Curious - How did you all get started

Im not really asky WHY, although you can throw that in. But i'de like to know what you all did to get started on weightlifting.

Things you did, ups and downs, etc.

I personally started when i was 12 because (oh a WHY!!!) my oldest brother was working out, and i always wanted to be very strong..

So i started out on machines for 4 months and went to freeweights. usually if i take a break for a while, i'de use machines when i got back into it.

I still mix up a machine or two to do some strengthening of joints etc.

How about all of you?

Any of you start off on machines, or did you just hit the weights?

chest6 is offline Banned
    Started working out...dunno why. Probably for baseball when I was young. Ask I got started with football..I started working out really seriously and I havent taken more than a week off probably since I started 6 years ago..

edmen2 is offline Anabolic Member
    started hittin the weights freshman year for football. havent looked back since.

NotSmall is offline English Rudeboy
    Started working on the doors of nightclubs, wanted to be big & muscely like the other doormen!

friends pushed me into it, and i got jealous of the gaisn the made! i only did machines and they did free weights, but i wasnt too serious. then everyone started noticing they had all gottne big, which pissed me off, so i hit the weight hard, and now im the biggest of the lot (though i am chubby!)

free weights all the way, esp for bulking!!!!

Mizfit is offline Banned
    i got to the age of almost 28 and found myself single and realized my entire life had revolved around a guy and i had no hobbies of my own:P

I had a lot of time on my hands and wanted to fill it.. shopping wasn't cutting it.. and i tend to get bored of hobbies quick

I have only been working out a year.. and love it....can't imagine my life without

farrebarre is offline Anabolic Member
    i was always the fat kid that couldnt get any girls, so i started working out now im the good looking guy that gets all the chicks lol

jerseyboy is offline Anabolic Member
    When my brother and I were little like around 11 or 12 we got a set of weights and used to pretend we had our own gym. We set up a daily workout schedule and it just got more serious when I realized I was getting stronger and my arms were growing. Of course at that age we didn't really know what we were doing but it felt good to have the biggest bi-ceps in the 4th grade.

aletnem is offline New Member
    i was always the little guy in school im 37 now ive worked out for about one year now and love it dont see me turning back now ,,

Smak is offline AR's Midget Beater
    I was a skinny, ackward looking freshman at the U and I went to the weightroom and started to lift because pretty much everybody in Miami has a good body and I had to get up to par with them. Then I became obsessed with it because I was seeing consistent growth and I've been with it since.

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    Started lifting because of wrestling when I was 15. Had to stop wrestling because of bad knees and got into lifting full time.

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizfit
    i got to the age of almost 28 and found myself single and realized my entire life had revolved around a guy and i had no hobbies of my own:P

I had a lot of time on my hands and wanted to fill it.. shopping wasn't cutting it.. and i tend to get bored of hobbies quick

I have only been working out a year.. and love it....can't imagine my life without
    29...Only 5-6 more years until you enter the perfect age

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    Quote Originally Posted by SnaX
    Im not really asky WHY, although you can throw that in. But i'de like to know what you all did to get started on weightlifting.

Things you did, ups and downs, etc.

I personally started when i was 12 because (oh a WHY!!!) my oldest brother was working out, and i always wanted to be very strong..

So i started out on machines for 4 months and went to freeweights. usually if i take a break for a while, i'de use machines when i got back into it.

I still mix up a machine or two to do some strengthening of joints etc.

How about all of you?

Any of you start off on machines, or did you just hit the weights?
    started in highschool.. but really got things going after i went from age 18 125lbs to 150 lbs after the police academy.. 28" waist

got hepititis, lost it all.. then went to 175 lbs by age 23..

life makes choices for us.. until we start making the choices based on what makes us happy, life will kick you in the balls..
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

RA
    RA is offline Grade A Beef
    Played football and lifted but quit after that. Went about 8 years never touching the weights. Got tired of being weak..

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    I had anorexia and was going to die.

I had to eat, or else.

So, I decided if I was going to have to eat to live, that I would have to exercise a lot, and lift weights as well, etc. Put it all to "good use" so to speak.

Did that, then realized how I could intelligently train/eat and really not only "live" and not die, but could create something pretty neat.

Still doing this as of today.......

~SC~

icedudez is offline Member
    i was a skinny lad, went on holiday with my buds who were all out of shape aswell ( nobody really where i live is into working out) and i thought to myself i have 2 options, 1: to get fat eventually and drink and eat shit all the time or
    2: start working out and look good !
    it wasnt a hard choice!

NotSmall is offline English Rudeboy
    Quote Originally Posted by icedudez
    i was a skinny lad, went on holiday with my buds who were all out of shape aswell ( nobody really where i live is into working out) and i thought to myself i have 2 options, 1: to get fat eventually and drink and eat shit all the time or
    2: start working out and look good !
    it wasnt a hard choice!
    Number 1 huh?

Quote Originally Posted by NotSmall
    Number 1 huh?

LMFAO!!

~SC~

*Alex* is offline Senior Member
    have a small penis so tring to compensate by getting bigger in other places!!!

MatrixGuy is offline Good things come to those who wait
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat

I had to eat, or else.

So, I decided if I was going to have to eat to live, that I would have to exercise a lot, and lift weights as well, etc. Put it all to "good use" so to speak.

Did that, then realized how I could intelligently train/eat and really not only "live" and not die, but could create something pretty neat.

~SC~
    That is one picture i would never of believed if you hadn't of told us SC. To see you now and thinking what you probably looked like when you were anorexic... thats transformation of the century!

icedudez is offline Member
    LMFAO!!

~SC~

lol ya basturds! i will post some pics soon!

Quote Originally Posted by icedudez
    lol ya basturds! i will post some pics soon!
    Nah, it wasn't a "call out" type of thing, it was just funny how that was an easy set up!

No one was callin' you out bro, all good.

~SC~

Quote Originally Posted by MatrixGuy
    That is one picture i would never of believed if you hadn't of told us SC. To see you now and thinking what you probably looked like when you were anorexic... thats transformation of the century!
    Thanks much!

Thing is, something I've realized, is that any eating disorder usually then manifests itself in some other way.

Hence, I get pissed when I over-eat or cheat, I sometimes will obsess over cardio or more from missing a cardio session, I can't eat the usual things with others when we are out, I have to bring food w/me, the occassional binge or late night binge which kill ya, lol, etc........

The game may have changed, but there is still a battle w/food going on, all the time. When that's part of who you are, it's really hard to change.

~SC~

Booz is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    typical 10 and a half stone weaklin,things change dont they!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by booz
    typical 10 and a half stone weaklin,things change dont they!!!!

Great job!

You said f*ck the stones, let me make myself into a mountain!!

~SC~

Booz is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    Great job!

You said f*ck the stones, let me make myself into a mountain!!

~SC~
    its been said before but im gonna say it again swole you ARE the man!!!!

*Alex* is offline Senior Member
    HE IS RIGHT !

RJstrong is offline Senior Member

I had to eat, or else.

~SC~
    WOW... Impressive turnaround... I would of never of guessed that... your story can be an inspiration to others that have fallen victim to that devastating eating disorder... I started lifting mainly for football back in high school and have been hooked ever since... and the past few years I have really enjoyed competing in powerlifting which has made my lifting a definite obsession.

BG
    BG is offline The Real Deal - AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    When I was 15 I had scholiois(SP) aka. bent up back and the doctors said I would have to wear this crazy brace to school, went all the way up my neck unless I built my back muscles. Well I hit the weights and swam as much as I could, went back 6 months later he said great job , your back looks great, no brace, and from then on Ive been lifting pretty steady, but totally devoted for past 2 years.

PrairieDawg is offline Senior Member
    I was always small in HS. I let people bully me alot. Lifted for about a year and got big enough so no one bothered me. And I even started training my friends in the gym that year who used to bug me about being so small.

Alot of it had to do with football too. I was always good at linebacker even though I wasnt very big, but the one year I acually trained for an upcoming season I broke my leg on home opener. Go figure, lol. It was the first time I ever missed a down too.

Now I'm training to become a firefighter. Something I would have never thought I could have done before I started lifting weights in my basement when I was less than 140lbs.
    Last edited by PrairieDawg; 11-23-2005 at 05:23 PM.

And you sir, are HUGE!

~SC~

mfenske is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDawg
    I was always small in HS. I let people bully me alot. Lifted for about a year and got big enough so no one bothered me. And I even started training my friends in the gym that year who used to bug me about being so small.

Alot of it had to do with football too. I was always good at linebacker even though I wasnt very big, but the one year I acually trained for an upcoming season I broke my leg on home opener. Go figure, lol. It was the first time I ever missed a down too.

Now I'm training to become a firefighter. Something I would have never thought I could have done before I started lifting weights in my basement when I was less than 140lbs.
    I was like PrarieDawg in that I got bullied alot. Unlike him, I was the fat kid. I'm sure being smart in school and sarcastic to boot didn't help either. I had a weightlifting class senior year. I liked it and lost some fat in that semester. Then I quit as I was too busy partying. My fiancee (now wife) and I picked it up again at 21 and I haven't looked back since, nearly six years later. Went from 287 at about 32-35% to my current 215 at about 15%. Mark

Keyser Sozey is offline Anabolic Member
    I was not anorexic, but I remember my 2 cans of tuna, 2 granola bars, and 8oz of orange juice diet. I was 135 lbs or so, and I looked ridiculously skinny.
    Not to mention I was running 2 miles 4 days a week.
    At some point I brought myself out of that mold and started lifting at home. I was about 14 y/o. After a few months, I joined my first gym, and I've been hooked ever since.
    I believe what I have is called BIGOREXIA...

steve0 is offline NASM~AFPA~CPT
    i went to go vist my uncle and cousins when i was 14 in HotLanta and my uncle owns a gym and he's huge he started bouncing his chest and i was like i wanna do that and my cousin always had tons of honnies calling him so i got into working out funny thin is i look better than both of them now hahahahah

Anadrol50_power is offline Junior Member
    To eventually look good *enuff* to get chicks ..after years and years and at age25 I've given up. Just out of boredom nowadays I guess

collar is offline Anabolic Member
    for sprint running..
    then just became a meathead and forgot bout running.

BigDaddyW is offline New Member
    I was 14 and got sent to military school. The only thing i had access to to there that would keep me busy during my free time were 2 weight rooms soo i lifted and saw my body transform and fell in love with the sport of bodybuilding.

USfighterFC is offline Anabolic Member
    I was a real serious sambo competitor when i was younger but the deeper more experienced competitions i got into, i realized i was outgunned by a significant amount. I knew I had better technique and more skill than most people i competed against but their strength was overwhelming. I hit the weights mildly and caught up rather quickly. The overseas competitions became tougher and harder so I got very serious about working out to stay a step ahead of the competition. Now I just like the way I look. Sambo has kind of taken a backseat after the last disasterous tournament i had.

Was watching the weight lifting compatition in the Olympics when I was a kid. Then the next year watched Pumping Iron.....that was it.

Evil Predator is offline Senior Member
    Ummm...

Growing up I was your typical smalltown hockey hero. Always worked out a little, but I was on the ice so much that I never had to worry about conditioning.

At about 18, I started drinking alot, and let it destroy me. By 20 I had quit playing hockey (which was my free ride through university), and just barely managed to hang on and get my degree. Im lucky I was smart enough to get by without much effort.

At 22(just after my birthday), I decided it was time to clean up. I was nearing 400lbs(from the 240 I was at 18), drunk every day, and literally had thoughts of suicide everytime I looked at myself. I signed myself into rehab, been clean and sober over 2 years, and lost 90 pounds (sitting at about 300) but im more muscular than I ever was. Things are coming together. Im still scared of mirrors and pictures, and I still get disgusted when I look at myself, and im not sure how to change that, other than training hard every day.

I got back into hockey. I graduated last spring with a double major, got a great job, and finally have some caring, meaningful people in my life. Things are looking way up, and im happier than ive ever been.

Im three weeks away from PCT, and then its time to seek the services of a PT for better diet info to get down to where I want to be..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information