helios is offline Associate Member

Question for you Home Theatre A/V buffs

I recently purchased some monster cable ultra 600 (THX certified) audio cables to connect my dvd player to my plasma.

Ive been surfing around the net looking at Monster cable reviews, and the general impression I get is they are a rip off - all hype and sub par performance.

Can anyone recommend high quality audio component cables for a price that matches there performance?

I want crisp, clear audio bc this is eventually connecting my surround stereo and the audio really makes a difference. So, your suggestions are appreciated.

Bump

anaBROLIC is offline Only The Strong Survive
    just wait until you get your surround sound and get a high end optical cable. this is a way better choice for surround sound rather then using composite stereo cables. im assuming thats what u mean unless your plasma has optical in which i doubt.

anaBROLIC is offline Only The Strong Survive
    i havnt read into the home audio stuff as much lately but from what i remember you had your retail monster cables then directly from monster you can get even higher quality more expensive stuff.. i have alawys been impressed with monster.

I have probably invested a new house in A/V gear over the last 10 years ... it is only a hobby, but certainly a serious one.

As far as cables go, I use two brands. One is Silver Audio, and the other is Kimber. Neither of these will be construed as cheap, but if you are interested in great quality, they are great bang for the buck ... even though the price of admission isn't bargain basement.

I have a bunch of Monster interconnects that I had used through the years ... if you want to run them, I would get the M series 550. I still use one pair of those to go between my Parasound Halo C1 and one of my televisions ... just so I can watch TV with the processor off. The 550 sounds pretty decent overall, and that is compared with the M850 and M1000's that I have lying around too.

If you want to invest in a serious cable (and have invested in serious gear), check out Silver Audio and Kimber. They both have web pages. I am using their Hyacinth Audio Interconnects, their Silver Symphony 48 Speaker cables to my B&W Nautilus 803's, and I am using Kimbers AGDL and KCAG's. Definitely great cables.

mfenske is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RedBaron
    I have probably invested a new house in A/V gear over the last 10 years ... it is only a hobby, but certainly a serious one.

As far as cables go, I use two brands. One is Silver Audio, and the other is Kimber. Neither of these will be construed as cheap, but if you are interested in great quality, they are great bang for the buck ... even though the price of admission isn't bargain basement.

I have a bunch of Monster interconnects that I had used through the years ... if you want to run them, I would get the M series 550. I still use one pair of those to go between my Parasound Halo C1 and one of my televisions ... just so I can watch TV with the processor off. The 550 sounds pretty decent overall, and that is compared with the M850 and M1000's that I have lying around too.

If you want to invest in a serious cable (and have invested in serious gear), check out Silver Audio and Kimber. They both have web pages. I am using their Hyacinth Audio Interconnects, their Silver Symphony 48 Speaker cables to my B&W Nautilus 803's, and I am using Kimbers AGDL and KCAG's. Definitely great cables.
    Okay, it's official, RedBaron is my new favorite VET. Mark

Quote Originally Posted by anaBROLIC
    i havnt read into the home audio stuff as much lately but from what i remember you had your retail monster cables then directly from monster you can get even higher quality more expensive stuff.. i have alawys been impressed with monster.
    Back in the day, I was reasonably happy with Monster. I bought a LOT of their M-series interconnects. I still use the M-1000 series video interconnects for my S-Video and composite video connections ... really decent stuff. I also still use a pair of their HTS 5000 reference power centers and one of their AVS 2000 voltage stabliizers.

The problem with them of late is that while they do make some decent stuff, in my estimation they have made a few clunkers of late too. I bought several of their Z-series interconnects ... the Z200 and Z300. I was really disappointed with them. They colored the sound something terrible. I also bought a lot of their studio series patch cables for wiring up a small recording studio I have in a back room in my house. It really disappointed me too. I ended up buying Mogami to replace it.

So I guess with respect to Monster ... just be careful. They do have some good stuff ... just not universal ALL good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by helios
    audio cables to connect my dvd player to my plasma.

I want crisp, clear audio bc this is eventually connecting my surround stereo and the audio really makes a difference. So, your suggestions are appreciated.
    For just hooking up your dvd player to your plasma, you wouldn't necessarily need to get as trick as the cables I mentioned above. Something cheaper ... along the lines of Kimbers PBJ or Silver Streak will work more that wonderfully for the sound that your plasma is going to produce.

When you get into surround sound, as already mentioned the audio portion is going to be carried via digital. At that point I would consider Kimber's AGDL or Silver Audio's Silver Stream if the distance is less than a couple of meters. For the short runs I prefer 75 ohm. If you get beyond that, I would look into optical. Monster actually makes a decent optical.

For things like SACD and DVD-A, that is where the higher end interconnects will pay off ... assuming your mate it with the appropriate gear. Always try to keep the caliber of interconnect consistent with the level of electronics. And make sure when you begin to piece together your surround system that you put a reasonable amount of thought and money into the speakers ... and the speaker cables.

I suppose that is enough babbling for now ... I could certainly get carried away with the topic. Just for chance you would like to see what I am using right now, here, here are some links to the gear. I am very happy with it now (of course only until the next major wave of upgrades hits )

I am running :
    processor/preamp - http://www.parasound.com/halonew/C1front.php
    main L/R amps - http://www.parasound.com/halonew/JC1details.php
    center/rear/side amp - http://www.parasound.com/halonew/A51details.php

Main L/R speakers - http://www.bwspeakers.com/index.cfm...el/Model%20803D
    Center channel - http://www.bwspeakers.com/index.cfm...l/Model%20HTM2D
    surrounds - http://www.bwspeakers.com/index.cfm...el/Model%20805S
    subs I am running a pair of - http://www.velodyne.com/velodyne/pr...=6&sid=733h114u

I just recently switched my optical player from the Sony 999ES to the -
    http://www.lexicon.com/products/overview.asp?ID=18

Best of luck with your system. I am sure you will have a blast with it if you enjoy A/V in general. There are TONS of pretty great products available now ... certainly a great time for us gear-heads.

Guys, thanks for the suggestions, Red Baron especially.

It's really difficult cutting through the crap on the internet, so its comforting hearing opinions from people that have been around the block so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by anaBROLIC
    just wait until you get your surround sound and get a high end optical cable. this is a way better choice for surround sound rather then using composite stereo cables. im assuming thats what u mean unless your plasma has optical in which i doubt.
    I am def going to be using an optical cable also. I didnt state earlier I am also running the plasma into the sound card on my laptop, which has an optical in. this sound card connect to my 7.1 surround speakers....I can't wait to get these cables so my masterpiece will be complete.

Thread Information