IronReload04 is offline "Rancid Protein Powder Mastermind Technician"

so you are in the gym, what do you do in this scenerio?

1. you honestly unintentionally over hear some asshole giving out really dangerous advice to a really hot chick or another guy about an exercise or technique which could lead to immediate injury or injury down the road. do you mind ur binuss or bud in and show em wasup.

2. some twirp asks you to hand him some dumbells so he can flat dumbell press. he lies flat on his back and extrends his arms and expects you do hand him the dumbell up to his hand. the dumbells are between 80 and 100 pounds. weight that you without help or a spotter easily rep out on your own military press style without anyhelp getting them up there. this person is not elderly and not injured

chest6 is offline Banned
    1. I would intervene
    2. I would say I'll put them on your thigh for you

TADOLFI is offline Member
    I've had #1 happen in front of me and I approached the person taking the advice after the "Advisor" left.
    I explained what I thought might happen if they did it that way and told them that they should read about various exercises and how they are performed so that they build a good knowledge base first. (This was a 16 year old guy listening to an 18 year old that was even smaller than him)

As for #2 - I've only had something like this happen once and I spotted the first time and told them they needed to get someone else and I walked away.
    ...That was about two years ago and any time I see this guy in the gym he never talks to me.
    I feel I'm better off.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by IronReload04
    1. you honestly unintentionally over hear some asshole giving out really dangerous advice to a really hot chick or another guy about an exercise or technique which could lead to immediate injury or injury down the road. do you mind ur binuss or bud in and show em wasup.

2. some twirp asks you to hand him some dumbells so he can flat dumbell press. he lies flat on his back and extrends his arms and expects you do hand him the dumbell up to his hand. the dumbells are between 80 and 100 pounds. weight that you without help or a spotter easily rep out on your own military press style without anyhelp getting them up there. this person is not elderly and not injured
    1) If it's the hot chick scenario (not another guy) then I intervene after, teach her the correct procedure, and try to get the ass as well.

2) Don't bother me kid, I'm drinking water.

~SC~

Bigpup101 is offline Senior Member
    #1..i would do what tadolfi said and wait til numbnuts leaves and explain the proper way and why...

#2...i'd go along with what swole said

Anna Bollick is offline Juiced Shemale Rescue Hooker
    I mostly train at home. I have been barred from most gyms around here for one reason or another, mostly transphobic managers, and many are still closed, anyhow. But I used to get out a lot to train, and I hope to do so again, when things are more normal. So, to answer:

1 I agree with everyone else... definitely straighten out the person getting the bad advice, preferably after they leave. But if they won't leave, if they want to hang out and play Personal Trainer, then I have to tell the offender that he is WRONG. In case of an argument, a quick back double biceps usually wins the argument. I'm not cut up, but I am pretty large and I can spread some fairly decent wings and pop up a fairly decent biceps peak. I think the newbie would generally listen more to the person who obviously knows what he or she is doing.

2 I demonstrate how to do it... sit down on the bench, dummies vertical (end-down) on my quads, elbows bent 90 degrees, good grip, tighten up the arms and shoulders, then lean back onto the bench and pivot the dummies up into the low position, just above the chest. As you go back, also, the elbows travel outward a bit. I can get 120's up pretty well without any help. Most gyms around here don't have anything bigger, but sometimes I bring a pair of olympic handles with me and put on loose plates, and I have gotten bigger ones up, with mixed success, a few bad dumps, but when I succeed, I get a lot of stares. It is all about the technique. Practice with lighter dummies, work on pivoting the weight up as your back comes down to the bench. Oh, forgot... I never really think about it, but I also flex the abs so that the spine is like a rocking chair rocker, That helps add a bit of momentum to the dumbbells as you pivot them upward. With practice, you will soon be doing all the weight that you can press with good form. I have showed beginners how to do this in just a few minutes, if they were willing to listen and learn, and they are always surprised at how much weight they can handle.

Love
    Anna

G-Force is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    1) If it's the hot chick scenario (not another guy) then I intervene after, teach her the correct procedure, and try to get the ass as well.

~SC~
    dont let your wife hear you sayin that..

Chemical King is offline Anabolic Member
    #1 - defo correct the bad advice given, but i wouldnt wait til the other dude had left. Afterall if this guy is doing it wrong than he is gona do himself damage so shud probably listen to me. Its up to him what he does with that advice

#2 - just a quick demonstration is needed her but without making the dude feel lke he knows jack shit (even if it is true.)

Quote Originally Posted by G-Force
    dont let your wife hear you sayin that..
    It's not what you know, it's what you can prove.

~SC~

Chemical King is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    It's not what you know, it's what you can prove.

~SC~
    Does ur wife have an email addy Swole?....Can i have it.lol

She is not affiliated w/the Net at all.

Only for projects and her alma-mater University.

~SC~

Psychotron is offline Anabolic Member
    I will lift the 120lbs to someones thighs, i wont ever hand someone the DB after they laid down. I have done it thought with someone doing decline DB's.

chest6 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotron
    I will lift the 120lbs to someones thighs, i wont ever hand someone the DB after they laid down. I have done it thought with someone doing decline DB's.
    yup, same, thats all I'll do.

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    1. I wouldnt care.

2. Id give him the dumbells. Its no more hassle to put them in his hands then to his thighs. If he had rolled them to the right end of the bench it is. If he wants me to go to the dumbell rack ect I would probably not do it.

NYGIANTS21 is offline Senior Member
    I would prob step in and give the right advice and see what she did with it and then i would take her home with me and show her the proper ways of lifting.... sorry test speaking out loud again

decadbal is offline Banned
    id personally ignore the both, but id def laugh loud enough to where the first guy could hear me... then look at here and just shake my head... and mumble, bitch ass faggot then walk off... but thats just me, im an asshole

lol. its nice to hear all of your responses.

1. the gym i workout at is a campus gym. has everything ya need, but highly overcrowded with bicep posses, bench bouncers, and I.L.S. is highly contageous and infectious (invisible lat syndrome/i am trying to be a hardass ill stare you down but dont dare look at me back punk assholes). i hear bad advice so many times, i just dont care, i laugh loudly like deca , i just dont have the motivation to correct people. if the advisee looks pure and innocent, i will help out, but if he is part of a pinky twisting concentration curl gang, i wll laugh at him for being a big enough jerk to believe somting so stupid and illogical.

2. as for number 2, the guy was like 50 years old, overdramatically hardcore however, but i lifted like hte 130's up to em and just bit my tongue. i will never do it again, lap next time. i will probably help get them on peoples laps no matter how light the weight because i am to genuinly kind of a person to say no. my kindness is my weakness.

i mean, you should see some of hte ****en things i see in my highly overcrowded gym. inventa-exercise type crap.

TADOLFI is offline Member
    Thanks for the details Iron...it helps create a better picture of what these people are really like.

I enjoy reading all these stories on AR and can't believe more people aren't injured in gyms from all the stupid shenanigans going on.

chest6 is offline Banned
    Ya man school gyms are like that, mine is. Today kids were maxing on squats and I was like..damn yall are gonna break your back that is horrible. The kids back was so rounded off at the bottom I thought it was snap at any moment.

Thread Information