powerliftmike is offline ~Elite AR-Hall of Famer~

Big guys and back squats

I watched "Made in Germany" a dvd by Marcus Rhuel. In it he says he can't back squat anymore cause he is too big. He focuses more on front squat and leg press. I have heard this from other people, esp SHW powerlifters complaining about how much stress the back squat puts on the shoulder.

Just wanted some thoughts and experiences on this.

P.S. I have heard some guys get cambered squat bars to alleviate this problem.

J.S.N. is offline Anabolic Member
    that's weird. i saw this vid of him doing back half squats with about 425 and he looked pretty shaky and only pumped out like 5 reps, so unless there was some crazy circumstance coinciding with that video, you wouldn't think he'd be at the type of squat that puts too much stress on one's body.

chest6 is offline Banned
    I watched it 2 days ago too. I saw that. He was also complaining that his legs dont have that great of definition etc. Maybe that is why. Hell, Coleman does back squats..you think he is "too big" to do them??

powerliftmike is offline ~Elite AR-Hall of Famer~
    I really like doing front squats and not trying to bash the back squat or anything, but it does put more pressure on my low back and I get plenty of hamstring work from deadlifts. Never been into leg pressing much, that is for BBs

chest6 is offline Banned
    Yup, you dont have to leg press to squat big weight. All about the box squats..mmm I miss singles and tripes

Thread Information