jamminJohn is offline Junior Member

training partners from hell

Does anybody else have problems finding a good training partner?

For the past 2 years, since my last partner bailed on me, I've been training alone. To be honest, I kind of liked it that way, although a good partner certainly does make things easier. Well, about 2 months ago, I changed jobs and so I started going to the gym at a different time. I ran into a guy that I had known from around the gym for a while and we decided to start training together. At first, it seemed like a good thing. We are around the same size and are very similar in strength on most lifts. Our goals are very similar and so is our training style. He has been very dependable - he even shows up on leg day every week, which is a rare thing - and is always motivated. So, on the surface, he seemed like the perfect partner. The problem is, this guy never shuts the f**k up. I mean, this guys mouth is running from the minute he enters the gym until he leaves. We train very heavy and take a few minutes rest between sets, and I use this time to catch my breath and mentally focus and prepare for the next set. He uses this time to ramble on and on about his job, girlfriend, etc. And it's not just me he talks to. He seems to go out of his way to talk to every person in the gym. I was doing squats tonight and every time I wanted to do a set, I had to track him done from halfway across the gym to spot me because sometimes he disappears for ten minutes at a time. He also like to bring his cell phone with him and call his girlfriend in the middle of our workout. He's really starting to irritate the hell out of me. LIke I said before, he's a good partner in a lot of ways, but I'm not sure if it is worth the aggravation any more.

I know there have been plenty of threads about things that piss people off in the gym, but has anybody else had any partners that were more trouble than they were worth?

Myka is offline Made Of Sugar
    Nope...I train alone and when people talk to me I just mumble...best way...

kloter1 is offline Southern Steel Bodybuilding
    ive lifted by myself since i was 17. i cant stand training with someone because i like to keep a pace. if i need a spot i just ask someone with common sense.

hey weve got another FL member. alright!

Mizfit is offline Banned
    I train alone and talk to few ppl while im there..

RA
    RA is offline Grade A Beef
    When I used to workout at the local gym 80% of the guys were just like that. They would stand around and gab like a bunch of little biatches. Then, the would stare at me during lifts and wonder why I could push so much. I would say there were about 4 or 5 guys who hardly said anything and they were the biggest ones at the gym.

Mesomorphyl is offline Smart Ass Member
    At least your partners show up... After about two weeks every one of my spotters come up with excusses why they cannot workout.

Maybe it is how I spot them in the squat rack jk

RA
    RA is offline Grade A Beef
    Quote Originally Posted by Mesomorphyl
    At least your partners show up... After about two weeks every one of my spotters come up with excusses why they cannot workout.

Maybe it is how I spot them in the squat rack jk

Yeah meso, your not supposed to spoon them while squatting.

allsaucedup is offline Member
    my problem finding a training partner is i train at 6:30am and most of the guys i know that work out wont get up that early to go workout. a few have tried it but they end up bailing after a few weeks

ahammer86 is offline Junior Member
    as soon as that cell phone rang in the middle of that workout, i would of dropped his azz as a workout partner. i dont have any tolerance for the cell phone unless business related or emergency. i know where youre comming from JJ because i have dropped at least 4 training partners in the past for excessive non-workout disscusions.and the thing was that i always told them from the beginning im here for the focus of the training and they always agreed. now i train alone for the most part but its nice to have someone there to push you when you want to go for PR and keep motivated

Anna Bollick is offline Juiced Shemale Rescue Hooker
    Train alone. Best way. An "audience" sometimes helps you keep your intensity, but you really don't need a spotter if you set up the power cage properly, or use a smith machine. I'm fixing to do shoulders now. Two sets of arnolds and a set of laterals and maybe lying laterals. Figure 10 minutes and I'm done. With a partner, I would waste another half hour or so, at the very least.

Love
    Anna

Thread Information