63190 is offline Anabolic Member

How to make tamales

For any one that wanted know how. I'll post it up after I get my notes in order.
    Masa(corse ground cooked corn)
    Lard
    Baking powder
    Salt
    Meat of some sort
    Mix 1 pound of lard for every five pounds of masa. Add in a hand full of baking powder and 3 and a 1/2 hand fulls of salt.
    You can mix by hand, but my dad learned this method to speed it up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How to make tamales-tamales1.jpg   How to make tamales-tamales2.jpg   How to make tamales-tamales3.jpg   How to make tamales-tamales4.jpg  
    Last edited by 63190; 12-17-2005 at 08:26 PM.

Second step
    Soak the corn husks in water.
    We use pork for filling. After cooking take the meat out and shred it. Don't through out the water. Let it cool off and then when the fat congeals, throw that in the mix.
    The meat is mixed seperately with long red chile. The red chile is dried. We buy it already that way. Remove as many seeds as you can. Boil it for 20 minutes with garlic, onion, salt, and cumin. Then strain it and blend it to chop it into fine pieces. Wear rubber gloves when handling the chile!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How to make tamales-tamales6.jpg   How to make tamales-tamales7.jpg   How to make tamales-tamales8.jpg   How to make tamales-tamales9.jpg   How to make tamales-tamales10.jpg  

Last edited by 63190; 12-17-2005 at 08:41 PM.

Third step
    Spread out the masa on the corn husks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How to make tamales-tamales11.jpg   How to make tamales-tamales12.jpg   How to make tamales-tamales13.jpg   How to make tamales-tamales14.jpg   How to make tamales-tamales15.jpg  

Last edited by 63190; 12-17-2005 at 08:42 PM.

Fourth step
    Put a dollup of meat on the husks and fold into thirds. Fold the small end over. It's kinda like folding a snail mail letter.
    We cook them in big pot made of galvanized steal. It's about 2 feet tall, foot wide at the bottom, and two at the top. It has a small round plate with louvers in it. This set upon a brick. Next to the brick is a penny.
    You layer the tamales so that the steam that cooks it is allowed to pass around them. The penny lets you know when your out of water. You have to add the boiling water to the pot and keep it boiling. Start another pot of water boiling or close to it to add later when the penny stops making noise. Only add enough water to cover the brick.
    Steam for about an hour and a half.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How to make tamales-tamales16.jpg   How to make tamales-tamales17.jpg   How to make tamales-tamales18.jpg   How to make tamales-tamales19.jpg   How to make tamales-tamales20.jpg  

Last edited by 63190; 12-17-2005 at 08:51 PM.

Finally, cook and eat. I'm not sure you want to know how bad it really is for you, but it tastes great.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How to make tamales-tamales21.jpg   How to make tamales-tamales22.jpg  

timvds is offline Member
    Thanks!

Bump for finishing. Maybe a mod should move this to the diet forum. Cheat food.

Anna Bollick is offline Juiced Shemale Rescue Hooker
    Quote Originally Posted by 63190
    For any one that wanted know how. I'll post it up after I get my notes in order.
    Masa(corse ground cooked corn)
    Lard
    Baking powder
    Salt
    Meat of some sort
    Mix 1 pound of lard for every five pounds of masa. Add in a hand full of baking powder and 3 and a 1/2 hand fulls of salt.
    You can mix by hand, but my dad learned this method to speed it up.

Girfriend, you can buy the instant masa... just add water. Look where the flour and cornmeal and stuff is. Use the same mix to make corn tortillas.

Love
    Anna

Hackamaniac is offline King Without a Crown ~
    now I know atleast how thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anna Bollick
    Girfriend, you can buy the instant masa... just add water. Look where the flour and cornmeal and stuff is. Use the same mix to make corn tortillas.

Love
    Anna
    We buy it fresh from the Mexican Resteraunt. It's about 5 min's from our house. You can use that instant stuff, but we like it fresh. More authentic taste.

Hackamaniac is offline King Without a Crown ~
    Quote Originally Posted by 63190
    We buy it fresh from the Mexican Resteraunt. It's about 5 min's from our house. You can use that instant stuff, but we like it fresh. More authentic taste.
    I bet it does taste alot better that way damn making me hungry.

Poison Ivy is offline Banned
    Cool I love chicken or beef tamales... YUmm..

I noticed though your not wearing gloves when you prepared the tamales...that's a NO NO Mister!

Anna Bollick is offline Juiced Shemale Rescue Hooker
    If you live where people grow bananas or plantain, you can use those leaves instead of corn husks. In Central America, they call the northern style tamales, the little ones wrapped in corn husks, "palos de mierda" or some such. I won't bother to translate. But anyway, the big ones wrapped in banana or plantain or plantanillo leaf are each practically a meal, with a whole piece of chicken in there, and a sauce with just a hint of mole. They are nice and juicy and moist, never dry like the northern Mexico style. I used to buy them in Veracruz on southward, into Belize and Guatemala, from street vendors or at the local market. They are much to be preferred. Their drier cousins in the corn husks can do with a bit of salsa or ketchup... they tend to be dry and relatively flavorless. Some folks like them that way, though, I guess.

Maybe someone would care for my menudo recipe? It is the easiest thing in the world to make. (Well, I don't use whole chiles... the dried powder is so much easier for a busy girl like me!)

Maybe a thread for all of our Mexican recipes? Other ethnic foods? I admit, I never really got the hang of cooking Chinese. Just no Italian... girl, that pasta makes me swell up like the Michelin Girl!

Love
    Anna

Power40 is offline Associate Member
    I also like the ones wrapped in bananas. I guess it depends who makes them, 'cause I've also had some made wrapped in corn husks that were awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Poison Ivy
    Cool I love chicken or beef tamales... YUmm..

I noticed though your not wearing gloves when you prepared the tamales...that's a NO NO Mister!
    Those are the hands of my parents. I didn't help this year. They knocked 'em out in a only a few hours. They did wash thier hands. Besides, the masa was still raw at that point. The steam would kill any bacteria they had on them. After cooling, they went into the freezer wrapped in plastic bags.
    My dad has made the banana leaf ones before.
    Mierda.

My parents stuff is always moist. They only dry out when they've been sitting out under heat lamps or have been thawed out and refrozen a few times.
    My dad made banan leaf and black bean, and banana leaf and some white fish of some sort. The corn husks really give a distinct flavor. The banana leaf ones seemed lacking any flavor at all to me.

Thread Information