Ajax is offline Senior Member

Let's Start Rating Posts!

I found this in the vBulleting FAQ:

======================================

How do I rate a thread?

You may find a small menu on bottom, right-hand side of thread pages which allows you to 'rate this thread' with a number between 1-5.

Casting a vote for threads you view is entirely optional, but if you think that the thread is superb, you might rate it as a 5-star thread, or if you think that it's unspeakably dismal, you might choose to rate the thread with a single star.

Once enough votes have been cast for the thread rating, you will see a set of stars appear next to the title of the thread in the thread listings. These stars reflect the average vote cast, and allow people to quickly see which threads are worth reading if you are on a very busy board with a lot of threads.

======================================

Rating requires several people to rate a thread before any rating appears in the list of threads in the top level of the forum or on searches. If we all pitch in and flag the best threads (and the worst ones) it will help everybody here to recognize what threads are the best reads.

It's especially useful when people do searches for old threads--they often get a big list and have to waste a lot of time clicking each one to see if it any good. This way, if a thread is good (or bad) they can see it in the search results.

What say you guys? Can we get together and do this for the benefit of all?

tryingtogetbig is offline Whiney Member
    Good idea Ajax!

Pheedno is offline Respected Member
    I agree and I give this a worst J/K.
    This actually a very good idea

shonuff is offline Associate Member
    good idea

bex
    bex is offline Banned
    Bad idea if some one need help and they have got no rating then no one will have a look and help him/her......(IT LOOKS LIKE SOMONE IS LOOKING FOR STATUS).......JMO.........

Pheedno is offline Respected Member
    I look at every post I can. But for new guys coming on the board, if they see a post with a high rating they might take a look at a valuable post they would of skipped over otherwise

Dizzy is offline Banned
    I like it. Rate them badboys.

Big Rush is offline The Juice Man
    Damn, good call Ajax. I never even noticed that before...

androplex is offline Donating Member

double o seven is offline New Member
    is this turning into a popularity contest?

is this turning into a popularity contest?
    It's not about poularity--it's about rating the quality of a post so other people can choose what's a "good read" faster and easier; it's all about using all the tools we have here to keep AR as functional as possible as AR grows more popular.

With 100's of posts on AR a day, it's getting harder and harder to select what to read--and people are missing good stuff because of the volume of posts.

If we all get together and rate posts, it will help everybody slect the best posts and save all of us some time.

I know I hate it when I find a good post during a search that I completely missed (lost in the clutter of so many posts) when it was current!
    Last edited by Ajax; 05-18-2002 at 02:54 AM.

Kaz
    Kaz is offline Member
    I agree!

To my shame I have not rated a single post since I have been here, although I admit that I have seen the button. I am now going to go through and find those posts I thought were very good!

Good call Ajax

PTbyJason is offline Retired Admin
    Ok, in light of this I have made the following changes. It now only takes 1 vote for the stars to be displayed instead of 2 so more ratings will show. Also remember that every vote doesn't have to be 5 stars. Just be honest, if it is only 4 or 3, then vote accordingly. Also if you click the reply button instead of using the quick reply feature, you can vote at the same time that you reply.

Edit: Also if you hold your mouse over the stars you will see how many votes there are as well as the average.

Dizzy is offline Banned
    I just noticed something. When you do a search....it doesn't even show the rating.

That kind of defeats the purpose doesn't it?

Jason--can you edit the search templates to include the stars? Like Dizzy said--that would be SOOOO helpful!

Billy Boy is offline Retired Moderator
    It has its pro,s and con,s personally I would never rate a thread they are all equally as important to the people that write them or have the question to ask

Thread Information