AnabolicAndre is offline Anabolic Member

New Jersey on Steroids?

NJ governor clamps down on steroids
    BY JOBY FAWCETT

New Jersey acting governor Richard Codey took the first step in the battle against steroid use in high school sports.

On Tuesday, Codey signed an executive order that requires random steroid testing for athletes on high school teams that qualify for the postseason. Testing begins in the 2006-07 school year, making New Jersey the first state to take such measures.

According to the decision, the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association will oversee the testing.

Bradley R. Cashman, executive director of the Pennsylvania Interscholastic Athletic Association sees the move as admirable.

“We have had conversations about the steroid problem with our Sports Medicine Advisory Committee,” Cashman said. “We have not adopted our own policy about steroids. We always point to the legislation that appears in our handbook and by-laws.”

Steroid use in sports took center stage on the professional level when Congress held hearings to deal with Major League Baseball.

Pennsylvania Act 1989-93 requires ‘the School Board in every school district to prescribe, adopt and enforce rules and regulations to prohibit the use of anabolic steroids, except for a valid medical purpose, by any student involved in school-related athletics.’

It also includes minimum penalties for students in violation of the policy. They range from a suspension from school athletics for the remainder of the season, to missing two seasons, to permanent suspension from school athletics for a third offense.

“We need to remind school districts about the law,” Cashman said. “They must know and adhere to that Act of 1989. It’s not up to the PIAA. They have to make sure they are in compliance.”

While Cashman sees New Jersey’s initiative as a good idea, he worries about how his association would handle such a policy.

“I don’t think we have the resources or the staff to do something like that,” he said. “It’s great if the NJSIAA can get help with the funding. We just don’t have the staff, resources or expertise to do the testing. But this is admirable.”

BeerBaron is offline Senior Member
    not many kids in HS juice from my experience, and the handful that did were not involved with school sports. This isn't helping our horribly high taxes here; NJ needs to get their fvcking priorities straightened out real fast or I'm goin to europe..

system admin is offline Owner
    I cant fukin understand these politicians....

Why dont they get involved with REAL problems like crack, guns, shitty food in highschools.....

UGGGGGGGHHH!!!!!!!!!

Bc

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Because that would actually solve issues and there would be nothing to spend a SHITLOAD of taxpayer money on so they can keep their jobs in which they do nothing but keep their heads up their respective asses.

~SC~

system admin is offline Owner
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    Because that would actually solve issues and there would be nothing to spend a SHITLOAD of taxpayer money on so they can keep their jobs in which they do nothing but keep their heads up their respective asses.

~SC~
    Im with ya Swole! UGH!!!! I swear to god, I wish we had the power to make these ass wipes tgell the truth about issues. It would take only a few highly respected media outlets to let us speak on FACTS about steroid use and not a bunch of BS spread by uneducated law makers!!!!!!!!!

;alkjf;asldjfas;ldfkjas;dlkjsdf

Bc

I think it's great they will test these kids for Steroids , now they need to work on the crap food they serve in school and about 100 other things.

Thread Information