guest589745 is offline 2/3 Deca 1/3 Test

I need a website for my business

Oldman, where are you on this one?

I would like to emulate these two sites somewhat

www.killerpaint.com
    www.mikelearn.com

Anyone here do this? Not lookin to spend a "shitload".

powerliftmike is offline ~Elite AR-Hall of Famer~
    I can help you out with website admining and setup, just PM me. I would take a look at godaddy.com and see what you need for your business site. for example:

Do you need email on your domain?
    Do you need SSL (for encryption-used in ecommerce)?
    Will you be hosting large files or just some small pictures and html docs?
    Do you need server side scripting like PHP, PERL, etc?

alright, gotta go do a few things today but, il hit you up in a while. thanks.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    What does your service entail?

~SC~

Prada is offline Anabolic Member
    I like the site with Harley, Hogs and bikes

oldman is offline Anabolic Member
    sorry I PM'd late on this one. If you are going Flash I would take to that Will guy I said he is the best and reasonable.. If it is more like the other my company can help and mostly depending on your needs can help you keep the costs down.. We do hosting in house, domains and whatever else is needed we can get taken care of. I can't post my site here but if you want to PM as many details as you can and let me know more of what you are wanting to get started I bet we can go something cool and get you on the road to something great..

It does not have to be expensive to get on-line at all.

~Oldman

Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    What does your service entail?

~SC~

Custom painting. Automotive/choppers anything.

right now, it would be great to just have contact info, photo gallery, pricing info and a little about us. Search engine optimuzation I have seen become very expensive so I am not worried about that TOO much right now. As for the flash, I realize that can further complicate the engine optimuzation process so, nothing too extravigant as of now either.

I also have some adobe CS work I have done that I will want included on the site, just to make it look how I want it to or at least as much as I can myself.

Very cool service!

~SC~

Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    Very cool service!

~SC~
    Thanks!
    We are good at what we do, we just need to expand beyond our area. We have pretty much depleted any resources around here.

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    Quote Originally Posted by powerliftmike
    I can help you out with website admining and setup, just PM me. I would take a look at godaddy.com and see what you need for your business site. for example:

Do you need email on your domain?
    Do you need SSL (for encryption-used in ecommerce)?
    Will you be hosting large files or just some small pictures and html docs?
    Do you need server side scripting like PHP, PERL, etc?
    are you going to be selling anything?? do you need sql data base items.. how often will you make changes??
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

I will not be actuallly selling physical items, at the moment. I would like to be able to add pictures and things like that at my will.

Quote Originally Posted by Skullsmasher
    Thanks!
    We are good at what we do, we just need to expand beyond our area. We have pretty much depleted any resources around here.
    I agree and can relate. Not being confined to a store-front property yields unlimited possibilities!

~SC~

I will not be actuallly selling physical items, at the moment. I would like to be able to add pictures and things like that at my will.

You will want to use PHP/MySQL. Create the site in HTML, use PHP calls and pull the images from a dynamic MySQL DB and you are good to go.

Oldman

Quote Originally Posted by oldman
    You will want to use PHP/MySQL. Create the site in HTML, use PHP calls and pull the images from a dynamic MySQL DB and you are good to go.

Oldman
    Yea, I have no idea what that meant really, lol. I recognize the word HTML an thats about it.
    thanks though. I should remember that.

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Yea, I have no idea what that meant really, lol. I recognize the word HTML an thats about it.
    thanks though. I should remember that.
    Forget HTML - learn CSS and XML (PHP can be written in XML and tied to a mySQL db)... that'll help you prepare for the future capablities of Web design. CSS is not difficult to learn. Just a new way to dress up tables...

If you use flash you will want an alternate nonflash site (more work to be done) - but you need to think about who your typical Web site browser might be... are they old or young? Computer literate - or they still can't can't figure out why you press START to shut it down? Do you want to appeal to all broadband users or make the site also optimized for those still with dial up (they are there!)? Are they likely to have the latest browsers to support things like flash animations? Just some things to think about when put your project together...

scriptfactory is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oldman

Oldman
    Not a good idea to store images in a MySQL DB. It has been shown there is a chance of database problems which would destroy your images. There is also no advantage over keeping your images in the filesystem.

For a site like the one he wants he could make a simple XHTML/CSS Compliant website with a nice design. Nothing fancy is needed. No Flash, 3D models or anything like that. Simple image rollovers done in CSS would be nice.

If all else fails, keep it as simple as possible. No CSS/XML/XSL templates and crap like that... Warrior...

XHTML + CSS + A little PHP for a contact form = a great website at a good price.

BTW, PHP cannot be written in XML, rather it can be used to generate XML documents. This would be a poor way to make a website as it would reduce the whole usefullness of XML, which is simplicity of editing with easy integration into a template file (XSL)!
    Last edited by scriptfactory; 01-05-2006 at 01:38 AM.

I do not know what the hell I shoul ddo with what you guys are tellin me. I appreciate it, I just dont know how to interpret it.

scriptfactory is offline Anabolic Member
    I do not know what the hell I shoul ddo with what you guys are tellin me. I appreciate it, I just dont know how to interpret it.
    If you are going to hire someone to do the work then just ask them to keep it simple. If they try to sell you on some crazy CMS, dynamic website then say you don't need it.

XHTML/CSS + PHP for a contact form of some kind is fine for you. I would offer to do the work for you but I am kinda swamped for the next couple weeks.

Good luck, bro!

Quote Originally Posted by scriptfactory
    If you are going to hire someone to do the work then just ask them to keep it simple. If they try to sell you on some crazy CMS, dynamic website then say you don't need it.

XHTML/CSS + PHP for a contact form of some kind is fine for you. I would offer to do the work for you but I am kinda swamped for the next couple weeks.

Good luck, bro!

I have been doing this work for 6 years now and one thing I know for a fact. The client does not care how it is done as long as it works!! When I buy a watch I do not ask how it was built, I ask if it keeps time.

Cross browser compatibility, Validated CSS and an easy to navigate website to show his work is all that is needed (as S.F. noted).

Good luck

goodcents is offline "body piercing & body jewelry expert"
    I will not be actuallly selling physical items, at the moment.
    I would like to be able to add pictures and things like that at my will.

Find some as soon as you can! Add-ons make all the difference.
    I own a tanning salon and a body jewelry store
    Example: *Tanning package, offer tanning lotion
    *They buy tanning lotion, offer moisturizing lotion
    *They buy large bottle, offer small bottle to keep in their purse (and so on)

If you paint bikes, these might give you ideas:
    Extended paint warranties?
    T-shirts (good referral item)
    Beer mugs
    Posters
    Calendar of what you have done
    economical jewelry with your shop name on it.

Do you have a store front? fill it with anything (hell even candy bars sell like crazy in a lobby)
    Keep sending them promos all the time and get as many e-mails as you can.

p.s. glad to see another business owner on the site

Elysium is offline Productive Member
    I know someone whos quite experience with graphics and web design.

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by scriptfactory
    Not a good idea to store images in a MySQL DB. It has been shown there is a chance of database problems which would destroy your images. There is also no advantage over keeping your images in the filesystem.

For a site like the one he wants he could make a simple XHTML/CSS Compliant website with a nice design. Nothing fancy is needed. No Flash, 3D models or anything like that. Simple image rollovers done in CSS would be nice.

If all else fails, keep it as simple as possible. No CSS/XML/XSL templates and crap like that... Warrior...

XHTML + CSS + A little PHP for a contact form = a great website at a good price.

BTW, PHP cannot be written in XML, rather it can be used to generate XML documents. This would be a poor way to make a website as it would reduce the whole usefullness of XML, which is simplicity of editing with easy integration into a template file (XSL)!
    Sorry I meant XHTML... isn't it the same as XML? Fuk I don't know - I used it like I would use HTM or HTML when discussing it. BTW - I understand that PHP generates XHTML documents... to word it correctly...

BTW - this page is generated with PHP/XML/CSS and if you view source you get:
    Code:
    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
    I think PHP, XHTML (XML?) and CSS are where Web design is headed... with png moving in on gifs soon for its transparency capabilites... flash creates some beautiful sites - but usability and accessbility gets lost...

powerliftmike is offline ~Elite AR-Hall of Famer~
    Quote Originally Posted by Warrior
    Sorry I meant XHTML... isn't it the same as XML? Fuk I don't know - I used it like I would use HTM or HTML when discussing it. BTW - I understand that PHP generates XHTML documents... to word it correctly...

BTW - this page is generated with PHP/XML/CSS and if you view source you get:
    Code:
    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
    I think PHP, XHTML (XML?) and CSS are where Web design is headed... with png moving in on gifs soon for its transparency capabilites... flash creates some beautiful sites - but usability and accessbility gets lost...
    XML is different from XHTML. XML isnt hardly ever used for the web, althought its similar to html/xhtml tag syntax. To get it looking pretty CSS (cascading style sheets) will come into play. Just check www.w3.org for the latest standards compliance.

MySQL=open source/free SQL [a database]
    For client side scripts: Javascript
    for server side scripts: PHP, CGI-binerl, etc

Also, HTM=HTML. It just is a diff file extension b/c MS Windows is gay about 3 character max extensions.

I think PHP, XHTML (XML?) and CSS are where Web design is headed Yes, HTML is depreciated for xhtml & css. PHP is overtakening PERL, C++, whatever else for server side.
    Last edited by powerliftmike; 01-05-2006 at 12:41 PM.

Thread Information