paulzane is offline Productive Member

Smoking and the Gym

We have done the alcohol rants ....... now the SMOKING.

There is a guy in my gym and I heard a few of the others say he is really fit.

Well he is a skinny guy and into the aerobic stuffy mainly and all these stretching. BUT he is a SMOKER .... how can he be ultra fit and smoke ?.... these do not go together.

So do we have some really fit looking guys out there ... doing gear ... looking fantastic and still smoking?

Confess or grass on a mate

Bojangles69 is offline Banned
    hmm.. yeh i know some people who smoke in moderation and workout and are in great shape, i think it comes down to genetics personally, i know nothing about the inhibition of muscle growth with nicotine and all, but i remember i use to smoke and workout for a while and i was able to put on muscle, then about a year and a half ago i quit and i started putting on muscle at about twice the rate, so yeh i think people can do it but its really redundant imo.

MoneyAddyct is offline Member
    Hmm..I wasn't aware that smoking inhibited muscle growth, but that's very interesting.

Ntpadude is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bodypaul
    We have done the alcohol rants ....... now the SMOKING.

There is a guy in my gym and I heard a few of the others say he is really fit.

Well he is a skinny guy and into the aerobic stuffy mainly and all these stretching. BUT he is a SMOKER .... how can he be ultra fit and smoke ?.... these do not go together.

So do we have some really fit looking guys out there ... doing gear ... looking fantastic and still smoking?

Confess or grass on a mate
    The fact of the matter is smoking damage is age dependant. For someone in their 20's, the body is so strong and resilient, they actually accumulate almost NO damage to their body either short term or long term to the body. In the 30's some damage is done but very negligable, in the 40's, damage is quite significant, 50's and beyond is extremely dangerous to smoke.

Its like this, people can smoke in their 20's with very little damage. Although put head to head someone that started smoking at the age of 19, and another person who started smoking at the age of 39 years. Both dudes are now 50, both probably have just as bad of damage and just as likely to have health problems at 50 even though one started at 19 years and the other at 39. The smoking done in the 40's and beyond is where ALL the damage to lungs and health is done.

simster1 is offline Associate Member
    The most in-shape smokers are in the military there seems to b lot more smokers and they are forced to work out hard cardio that is. info from a friend in the army

shortie is offline AR Biggerologist
    Nothing I hate worse in the gym than some asshole who smells like the bottom of an ashtray. I think they are actually worse than the old men who walk around farting at will and not giving a shit who smells it.

SPIKE is offline AR-Hall of Famer/RETIRED
    The worst is when people are in the parking lot waiting to finish their Cig so they can go into the gym. Way to go Einstein..........

ironmike250 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shortie
    Nothing I hate worse in the gym than some asshole who smells like the bottom of an ashtray. I think they are actually worse than the old men who walk around farting at will and not giving a shit who smells it.
    Old men farting at will!!!
    LMFAO

dive_kid is offline Anabolic Member
    if I could I would smoke in the gym, while doing heavy squats and farting.
    just kidding.

ya I smoke a bit and it does affect my trainning. it is grose and smells and costs way to much. no good can come from it, thats forsure.
    dirty ****ing habbit. I plan to quit jan 30

Good luck on that DK, I quit about 4 yrs ago and it was one of the toughest things I ever had to do. And let me tell you, I really enjoyed smoking, the smell the taste, the buzz, and esp the way it helped get that first shit in the morning started, but once you have been off for a while you'll smell someone who smokes and think "jesus, did I smell that fvcking bad?"-Well, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by ironmike250
    Old men farting at will!!!
    LMFAO

This happened to me about 3-4 weeks ago, I'm in the gym doin my thing, and when I'm there I crank up my headphones and try to look like I'm pissed off so no one wants to start a 2 hr bullshit session. So I'm workin out and I catch this old guy out of the corner of my eye stretching out about 15 ft away, I don't think anythin of it finish my set and start to walk over to my gymbag and right as I walk where he was standing this green cloud envelops my head and I'm left gaggin-I know he was off laughing his ass off some place cause he knew he'd just shit himself right beside me, lol.

BOBBY D is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MoneyAddyct
    Hmm..I wasn't aware that smoking inhibited muscle growth, but that's very interesting.
    yes it is a big problem. im battleing 3 days of not smoking, i cut down TO 3 CIGS A DAY WHICH AINT BAD. BUT IT DOES EFFECT MUSCLE GROWTH BY reducing blood flow to the muscle. doing cardio at a regular pace a few times a week helps relieve ur lungs & starts to help build up wind. all in all it deters ur gains. GOOD LUCK,

BD

dive_kid is offline Anabolic Member
    Good luck on that DK, I quit about 4 yrs ago and it was one of the toughest things I ever had to do. And let me tell you, I really enjoyed smoking, the smell the taste, the buzz, and esp the way it helped get that first shit in the morning started, but once you have been off for a while you'll smell someone who smokes and think "jesus, did I smell that fvcking bad?"-Well, yes.
    ya I know what you mean. when I was 23 I quit. did not smoke for 4 years.
    I was the same way. I loved it. well, got stupid in vegas and smokeing again.
    it has only been about 1 year, so Im hopeing it will go easier this time

The truth is, I wouldn't have been able to quit the smokes if I had not already quit drinking-being a alchy was more of a problem, but once I whipped it I quit the smoking within 6 months. But there was no friggin way I could go into a bar and not have a few smokes after a few brews.

Vegas67 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dive_kid
    ya I know what you mean. when I was 23 I quit. did not smoke for 4 years.
    I was the same way. I loved it. well, got stupid in vegas and smokeing again.
    it has only been about 1 year, so Im hopeing it will go easier this time
    Dont feel bad...everybody smokes in Vegas it seems but me. Blows me away to see a hot aerobics intructor in the parking lot finishing her butt before she starts her class, almost as bad as Canada eh?? JK

SEBASTOP is offline Associate Member

Thumbs up

DITTO and Good for you!!!! I quit almost ten years ago. I also enjoyed it immensly, but very glad I quit.

BIGGIE_smalls is offline Associate Member
    The truth is, I wouldn't have been able to quit the smokes if I had not already quit drinking-being a alchy was more of a problem, but once I whipped it I quit the smoking within 6 months. But there was no friggin way I could go into a bar and not have a few smokes after a few brews.

hey shortie, i've been smoking since highschool, about ten years ago, i quit when i was 20 and was clean til 23, and have been smoking since then, now 27. i also compete. ive done about 4 shows since early 04' and have qualified for Nationals at each NPC event i've done. i want to quit bad and i would like tp put this nasty habit behind me. what worked for you? i'm not much of a drinker either so i have no problem there. the only other thing i could think of is gear, but i'm not about to give that up. please share your experiences that helped you quit, other bros please feel free to chime in also.

-Biggie

sbeast007 is offline Senior Member
    i smoke and find that it only really affects my cardio slightly not my lifting

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    This is the steroid questions forum.

Please keep these off-topic threads in the LOUNGE area.

Thank you,

~SC~

powerliftmike is offline ~Elite AR-Hall of Famer~
    Quote Originally Posted by BOBBY D
    yes it is a big problem. im battleing 3 days of not smoking, i cut down TO 3 CIGS A DAY WHICH AINT BAD. BUT IT DOES EFFECT MUSCLE GROWTH BY reducing blood flow to the muscle. doing cardio at a regular pace a few times a week helps relieve ur lungs & starts to help build up wind. all in all it deters ur gains. GOOD LUCK,

BD
    Yeah, if you think carbon monoxide in your hemoglobin is better than oxygen for muscle building you have problems. Nicotine also has vasoconstricting properties.

eGGz is offline Anabolic Member
    Last summer I say a big fat guy jogging in the park with a lit cigar in his mouth. Can you say "Heart Attack"

Quote Originally Posted by BIGGIE_smalls
    hey shortie, i've been smoking since highschool, about ten years ago, i quit when i was 20 and was clean til 23, and have been smoking since then, now 27. i also compete. ive done about 4 shows since early 04' and have qualified for Nationals at each NPC event i've done. i want to quit bad and i would like tp put this nasty habit behind me. what worked for you? i'm not much of a drinker either so i have no problem there. the only other thing i could think of is gear, but i'm not about to give that up. please share your experiences that helped you quit, other bros please feel free to chime in also.

-Biggie

It was more of a change of lifestyle, I quit drinking because it was getting to be a problem, as a result I quit going to bars. A short time later I got a promotion to a different office and none of my new co-workers smoked so one day in Jan of 2002 I think, I'm standing outside by myself having a smoke and it's like -30 outside I look around and I just think, "this is fvcking stupid", dropped that bad boy to the ground and walked off. But in all honesty if I worked around smokers I don't think I could have done it.

This happened to me about 3-4 weeks ago, I'm in the gym doin my thing, and when I'm there I crank up my headphones and try to look like I'm pissed off so no one wants to start a 2 hr bullshit session. So I'm workin out and I catch this old guy out of the corner of my eye stretching out about 15 ft away, I don't think anythin of it finish my set and start to walk over to my gymbag and right as I walk where he was standing this green cloud envelops my head and I'm left gaggin-I know he was off laughing his ass off some place cause he knew he'd just shit himself right beside me, lol.
    I don't know why that's so goddamn funny...but it is! Old men farts have to be the most disgusting thing ever but for some reason, I find it histerical!!!

63190 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ironmike250
    I don't know why that's so goddamn funny...but it is! Old men farts have to be the most disgusting thing ever but for some reason, I find it histerical!!!
    Had a diabetic uncle in his late thirties that farted the most rancid smelling farts ever. One fart would leave me gagging and running a way to catch my breath. :shudder:

Tren Bull is offline Dbol Junkie
    i read that ciggarettes lower your test levels. its because nornicotine binds to free test and fu_ks it up

MASTER is offline "I Own You"
    Smoking = Ghey!

cfiler is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesC
    Smoking = Ghey!
    smoking is bad.

Quote Originally Posted by 63190
    Had a diabetic uncle in his late thirties that farted the most rancid smelling farts ever. One fart would leave me gagging and running a way to catch my breath. :shudder:
    OMG! Too goddamn funny man!
    LMFAO!!!

Flexor is offline Banned
    Smoking and working out is like...

Doing cardio but eating shit...

No brainers, all of them...

needmorestrength is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ntpadude
    The fact of the matter is smoking damage is age dependant. For someone in their 20's, the body is so strong and resilient, they actually accumulate almost NO damage to their body either short term or long term to the body. In the 30's some damage is done but very negligable, in the 40's, damage is quite significant, 50's and beyond is extremely dangerous to smoke.

Its like this, people can smoke in their 20's with very little damage. Although put head to head someone that started smoking at the age of 19, and another person who started smoking at the age of 39 years. Both dudes are now 50, both probably have just as bad of damage and just as likely to have health problems at 50 even though one started at 19 years and the other at 39. The smoking done in the 40's and beyond is where ALL the damage to lungs and health is done.
    i dont see how being in your twentys means little to no damage....smoking a cigarette means inh****g 3000+ chemicals... it will do damage no matter what age you are

Quote Originally Posted by needmorestrength
    i dont see how being in your twentys means little to no damage....smoking a cigarette means inh****g 3000+ chemicals... it will do damage no matter what age you are

I agree...the effects of cigarette smoking are cumulative...
    in the hypothetical case of the 19yr old and the 39yr old, I'd have an easier time believing that drinking winny will make your Johnson bigger, than I would believing that 20 years of smoking would have no effect in the overall condition of the two subjects based on the ages of the two when they started smoking...
    Last edited by justincredible; 01-05-2006 at 04:32 PM.

Nismo is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesC
    Smoking = Ghey!
    Then you must smoke like 10 packs a day James

Tren Bull is offline Dbol Junkie
    i usually dont smoke, but when i get drunk il seriously smoke a whole pack in one night.

Thread Information