Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: jobs for my son

roger24 is offline Banned

Post jobs for my son

ok, my son will be 16 soon, and he wants to get a job. but i dont want him to work at the local burgerking. i want him to get a job that he gets paid at least a little more then minimum wage. he can work construction or something like that in the summer, but its winter and he wants to get a job. can you think of anything.

QuieTSToRM33 is offline Anabolic Member
    maybe at a restaurant ... busboy/waiter .... something along those lines

or he could work retail at a store

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Maybe the YMCA with kids, youth programs in school, etc.

Something where he is outside and helping kids develop confidence and skills, instead of the flippin' of burgers or stocking in a retail store doing bonehead work.

~SC~

guys arent waiters at resturants are they? i dont think ive ever had a guy waiter. any other ideas.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    There are tons of male waiters, yes.

No, they aren't "feminine" either, it's a legitimate job for numerous straight males.

At least here in California.

~SC~

Booz is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    the question is what does your son wanna do??

Bigpup101 is offline Senior Member
    i was a waiter at 16..good money for that age IMO

he doesent realy know, he said he wanted to get paid more then $6.00 per hour, and that means he cant work at the local fast food joint. which is what i want, i just cant think of any jobs that he could do. any more suggestions?

scriptfactory is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by roger24
    he doesent realy know, he said he wanted to get paid more then $6.00 per hour, and that means he cant work at the local fast food joint. which is what i want, i just cant think of any jobs that he could do. any more suggestions?
    I've never worked fast food in my life and I have to say that it has made my life a lot better! It's great that you are supporting your son.

any others?

juicy_brucy is offline Ripped, not bulky
    Student work, through the city paid me near $13 (cdn) an hour, which was pretty good, cause I was 17, and minimum wage was $6.85 back then.... Also, I had a job when I was 16 working at a car dealership, washing cars and detailing them, that paid a dollar more than minimum. Whatever you do, steer him away from work in restaraunts.... they are horrible. I did that too, for a couple of years, and in that timeframe, I have never made such little money or have been treated so unfairly in all my life.... Ahhh... Those were my teen years....

brewerpi is offline Associate Member

no skills= crappy money

I don't know where you live but the oppurtunities for a young person without any skills are limited, the thing about him having a crappy job now is that it can motivate him to focus on education and training so he doesn't have to work a "mcjob" when he's older.

good luck to your kid!

any other ideas, were did you guys work when you were 16, and what did you get paid?

scriptfactory is offline Anabolic Member
    any other ideas, were did you guys work when you were 16, and what did you get paid?
    I worked construction and made $100 a day (man, I miss that job.) Then I worked at Wal*Mart and made $8/hour.

Logan13 is offline Banned

work

I worked on a horse ranch when I was 16...shoveling shit among otherthings. My dad wanted me to work every shitty job he could think of so that I would not want to do it as an adult, and I believe that it does build character. At 16, a bus boy would be a good job, changing tires at your local Firestone, Autozone, heck have him go down to the temp. service they will give him some options. I think that a 16 yr old should gain some knowledge from every job, just pick a worthwhile endeavor. This would be easier if I knew where you are located at and what your boy enjoys to do.........

QuieTSToRM33 is offline Anabolic Member
    i worked as a bar back when i was 16-17 .... made like 5 bucks an hour on the clock ... but i also would get tipped out from the bar .... upscale place right on the water so i was making about 150-250/day .... long days though ... like 12+ hrs ..... 3 days a week .... good money though at 17yrs old

that was my first job ever

Wiggum is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    There are tons of male waiters, yes.

No, they aren't "feminine" either, it's a legitimate job for numerous straight males.

At least here in California.

~SC~
    So true. I made my way through college and after supplementing my income by waitering. Made great money too - but all depends on the restaurant.
    Anyone in LA ever eat at Nic's on Canon or Pancho's in Manhattan beach? If so, I might've served you.

lilKimmy2 is offline Female Member
    How about lifeguarding, That is what I always did- pay is great for that age group, just need the certification but that can be done on the weekend pretty quickly. Pay usually ranges from $8-$12-hr

Logan13 is offline Banned

man

I had to make my way through college as a Manwhore.

brewerpi is offline Associate Member

75 cents per inch...

I wrote the sports column for my town's paper and they measured the column inches and paid me .75 I started in the 7th grade and did it until 10 grade.

spound is offline Anabolic Member
    I wokred at a local resturaunt as a food runner, basically jsut brought the food out to the tables and set up the trays/plates to take out. I made minimum wage, but I got a cut of this tips, so it usually came out to be about 7-12$ an hour. BTW, there are many male waiters, I dont know why you think they are all female? Waiters make pretty good money too if they are working at a decent place.
    Last edited by spound; 01-07-2006 at 09:09 PM.

i might check into the resturants for him, but if nothing is avalible all just have him work at a burger joint for $6 an hour. just for the next few months till it starts to get warmer. then some kind of construction job, or mabe cut lawns, its realy good money.

steve0 is offline NASM~AFPA~CPT
    dude when i was 16 i worked at the local country club i banked off tips and made 6 bucks an hour, it was awsome i was outside allday cruisin in a golf cart or a gator i loved it

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    cold calling.. if not construction.. it will give him the skills he will need in the future..
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

GQ-Bouncer is offline Anabolic Member
    ok, my son will be 16 soon, and he wants to get a job. but i dont want him to work at the local burgerking. i want him to get a job that he gets paid at least a little more then minimum wage. he can work construction or something like that in the summer, but its winter and he wants to get a job. can you think of anything.
    The army reserve?

TheMudMan is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer
    Durring the summer I would work on a trash truck...... minimum I would get paid was $75 a day..... this was back in the 80's

Also was a busboy, waiter................. waitering paid a hell of a lot more then the trash

BG
    BG is offline The Real Deal - AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMudMan
    Durring the summer I would work on a trash truck...... minimum I would get paid was $75 a day..... this was back in the 80's

Also was a busboy, waiter................. waitering paid a hell of a lot more then the trash
    80's holy old timer............................................. ..........jk

TheMudMan is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by BigGuns101
    80's holy old timer............................................. ..........jk
    LOL.............. Yep 36 and I feel and look great.......... can you belive that sh*t

i might check into the resturants for him, but if nothing is avalible all just have him work at a burger joint for $6 an hour. just for the next few months till it starts to get warmer. then some kind of construction job, or mabe cut lawns, its realy good money.
    As a teen I started my student work life in shït jobs (runner in a grocery at minimum wage, night shift stock boy, emptying vans full of tires!) and trust me... it gave me all the incentive in the world to aspire for better and keep going to school to better myself.

I think shït-jobs build character for teens. I'm not sure getting a teen with barely any education a $10+/hour job is sending the right message anyways. As much as I hate McJobs, I think that they are ideal for a 16yo (if only to teach them the "you don't wanna do this for the rest of your life" lesson.)

My kid is 12 and if he wants pocket money above his allowance, he has to babysit, cut lawns or shovel snow. When he is 15 or 16 he'll get a McJob and earn his way up. I could get him an installation job in my dads kitchen remodeling company at $20/hr, but what lesson would he learn from that? He has to learn to do things himself.

My advice? Let him work a few shït jobs so he can appreciate the better paying jobs later.

Red

Why cant he work construction in the winter? Where do you live?

dive_kid is offline Anabolic Member
    if he is intrested he might look at a shop job where he can learn a trade.
    when I was 16 I worked in a marine shop. started sweeping floors but before long was working with mechanics rebuilding boat motors. Im a welder now and the company I work for is always looking for young guys to start as a labouror. when they get good guys they will train them to do anything they want: work the mill, roll form, presses, welding etc.

USfighterFC is offline Anabolic Member
    I worked in a little Korean shit bodega when I was 15 cuz I needed the money. It def sucked but built character for me to hate Koreans .......j/k.....I think i may actually agree with red ketchup on this one.

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by USfighterFC
    I worked in a little Korean shit bodega when I was 15 cuz I needed the money. It def sucked but built character for me to hate Koreans .......j/k.....
    haha

SVTMuscle* is offline Banned
    well old man river, i'm 19, when i was 16, i did whatever the hell i could to make extra cash. this was my "career" at 16.
    • worked at a grocery market (which is a high recommendation, its a good place to start and get familar with using money and sales ect)
    • mowed lawns in the summer *** that was clutch, i made like $40 a lawn, and i still do it every summer
    • work for a landscapping company in the summer
      those are pretty much key jobs right there, good luck old timer

Sage is offline Anabolic Member
    back when i was 15/16 a pizza driver would drop off my friend and I at large housing developments and we had to run around hanging coupons on people's front doors. After a few hours he picked us up and drove back to the pizza place. $50 cash per day, working weekends was good money.

Hard Head is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MeanMachine2000
    Why cant he work construction in the winter? Where do you live?
    Uh, exactly. I was sweeping floors and digging ditches at 16. Rode my bike to work after school to save $$ for a car. Worked all year and it's freaking cold here, but this isn't Canada or Buffalo. Let him find a job that will include alot of physical labor, working in the mall is for pansies.

Bigen12 is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    I'm suggesting that my children work Land Surveying.

big daddy k de is offline Senior Member
    home depo, lowes, loading dock ... they get payed well ($10-12+ an hour) and they are flexible

305GUY is offline Anabolic Member
    guys arent waiters at resturants are they? i dont think ive ever had a guy waiter.
    where the hell do you live?

SVTMuscle* is offline Banned
    UPS is always good too, they also help with college

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information