jbran23 is offline Senior Member

How do you deal with the mental aspect of cutting?

I have been training off and on for 9 years and have always tried getting bigger. I have always wanted to see the numbers on the scale go up and my muscles getting bigger. I instilled it into my brain that I had to eat, eat, eat. I was a major ectomorph (140-145lbs when I graduated highschool at 5'11).

I have put on some belly fat through this process and have decided to do my first cut to try to get my BF% down and get some more definition. I know its my goal to lose weight but I seriously start to get stressed out when I look at the scale and see I have lost a few pounds and hate the fact that my arms arent fitting the sleeves of my shirts the same way they used to. I know it sounds stupid but does cutting get to anyone else like this? I know it will be all worth it when I start to see my abs but I get so worried about losing hard earned muscle that I have thought about abandoning the diet numerous times. I think I might just be fvcked in the head. lol.

Igifuno is offline AR's Italian Tonic
    Blog Entries
    What your doing and thinking is normal and, in fact, smart. You want to be aware of adverse affects that certain aspects of bodybuilding can have on you, such as lost muscle mass from dieting or cutting. There is plenty of anti-catabolic methodology you can and should apply when cutting. Diet and supplementation are the capstone to this process along with consistent resistance training. Typically when cutting, I like to reduce the caloric intake but keep it somewhat high.. for instance, if my caloric intake is 3,500 ed, I'll only reduce it to 2,800, but will increase protien while reducing carbs, and eliminate sugars and dairy altogether. Also, I'll increase cardio from 3x/wk @ 30 mins to 5x/wk @ 45 mins. With respect to other changes in the cardio routine, I'll also do cardio 2x per day at times, one time 1st thing in the AM before any food intake and the 2nd time after weight training. For supplementation, you'll want to add some BCAAs to your program, L-glutamine and a strenght/recovery post workout shake or juice powder (use in water). As always, keep water intake high and get plenty of rest.

Good luck brutha,

IG

NVR2BIG1 is offline Banned
    Yes, the more often you do the easier it gets to deal with the changes though. The one thing that I go through during every diet, is a phase the first month where I dont really think I look more defined, but dont think I look big anymore either. It's this goofy phase were in my mind nothing is working and I look like a swimmer rather than a bodybuilder. I just stick to the grind and keep going, then when I'm in the 6th-7th wk of my diet things start coming around good, people start saying stuff about my definition. From this point on, the changes come faster, wk to wk I begin to look twice as good. The last few wks, just when I dont think I can get anymore leaner, I keep going for more. So in my mind I'm small w/ a shirt on, but I'll walk past a mirror in my tanktop or something and think "Damn man, is that really me?" When your definition starts becoming an illusion and people begin asking you how much you weigh, it looks like your getting bigger, this is when you know your doing shit the right way. I'll actually look bigger 40 lbs lighter believe it or not. I was about 210 lbs in my avatar, I'm 240 lbs right now, and I looked way bigger in my avy than I do right now. So stick to it and keep pushing bro, pics dont lie

jbran23 is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for some reassurance guys. Igi, from some of the techniques and supps you utilize when you cut it makes me more confident that I have my bases covered. I am basically doing everything you stated almost to a tee which makes me feel better.

NVR2BIG the phase you talked about where you dont see a whole lot of definition change but you feel like you are still getting smaller anyway is the phase I am at. More than anything Im afraid Im going to end up looking like an Abricrombie and Fitch model at the end and then I would have to kill myself!! haha. Seriously though I see little changes in my arms and things like a little more vascularity and a little more definition coming along. I know belly fat is the last to go so I need to just be patient and keep pushing.

I think more than anything my doubts come from a piss poor self image that I have always had. I have always relied on people telling me Im getting bigger and being able to see the numbers on the scale go up to let me know what Im doing is right. This is new territory for me so I just need to get used to it I guess.

Bossman is offline Bossman - AR Monitor
    Quote Originally Posted by NVR2BIG1 View Post
    Yes, the more often you do the easier it gets to deal with the changes though. The one thing that I go through during every diet, is a phase the first month where I dont really think I look more defined, but dont think I look big anymore either. It's this goofy phase were in my mind nothing is working and I look like a swimmer rather than a bodybuilder. I just stick to the grind and keep going, then when I'm in the 6th-7th wk of my diet things start coming around good, people start saying stuff about my definition. From this point on, the changes come faster, wk to wk I begin to look twice as good. The last few wks, just when I dont think I can get anymore leaner, I keep going for more. So in my mind I'm small w/ a shirt on, but I'll walk past a mirror in my tanktop or something and think "Damn man, is that really me?" When your definition starts becoming an illusion and people begin asking you how much you weigh, it looks like your getting bigger, this is when you know your doing shit the right way. I'll actually look bigger 40 lbs lighter believe it or not. I was about 210 lbs in my avatar, I'm 240 lbs right now, and I looked way bigger in my avy than I do right now. So stick to it and keep pushing bro, pics dont lie
    ^^^very well put! IN my avatar Im 206 lbs down from 240 last off season. I reached 260 this off season and Im currently 235 on my way down to 210-215.

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I hear you. I want to get cut but I dont want to loose any size. I dont plan on cutting until I get my arms closer to 20in, that way I HOPE they stay around 18.5 when cut....

gettingthere is offline Senior Member
    Badly.....!!

Lol but seriously i found it very hard to deal with cutting, u find that all that time that it has taken u to work up what u have, to lose that bif of excess fat u think ul lose size!! but in all honesty u shouldnt if your diet is in order and your cardio isnt excessive to the point of losing muscle!! its very pyschological with me, i find i need a lot of re assurance, its great that on here that i get it from you guys from posting up my pics and getting good compliments!!!

I think its just first getting your head in check and not let your mind play tricks on you

Thread Information