Smak is offline AR's Midget Beater

European Soccer/Racism Let's talk...

I was watching "Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel" last night on HBO. They did a segment on European soccer and its problem with racisism. It was mind boggling at some of the things I saw especially being in the year 2005. They interviewed one of England's top players who was black and he was interviewed by Gumbel. It showed him and another black player being pelted with bananas and everytime they would touch the ball, the fans would yell "monkey chants" and boo them. It's not just a problem in England, but all over Europe. Even with their star power and huge earnings they're still being treated this way. It was happening in Spain, Italy and pretty much every game in Eastern Europe. What do you all think about this especially the lads from England, booz, stocky, matrix, james,notsmall etc..?? Is it really that big of a problem? I didn't realize it was.

They were also talking about how soccer or futbol is a predominately white sport where alot of neo-nazi groups can congregate and recruit members at stadiums because it's a much easier place to find them.

Booz is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    You will not see any racist chants at any Premier league or lower division games in England mate,it does not happen over hear anymore,it has been virtually stamped out!apart from millwall scum where you may here it!

it is rife in spain i do know that,and many more european countrys.

Anabolic CEO is offline Senior Member
    Its a shame that it is like that, i have played soccer now for 17 years. 14 of which was consistant. Soccer over their is like football over here. I miss the Pele days.............I haven't heard anything about what you are talkin about.

BuMP

you say it is a predominately white sport mate,it was around 15-20 years ago,but now at least half of any given squad are black.

USfighterFC is offline Anabolic Member
    I saw that segment and I couldn't believe it. It actually made me sad that these guys are humiliated not by a small group of fans but in fact 10's of thousands. And that stat is no bullshit they mentioned in the show that a stadium of 50,000 people were mocking black players throwing bananas at them. I think the worst part of the show was the HUGE banner that stretched 100-200 feet long and read something in another language but translated in English it said "Auschwitz is your land, the ovens are your home" I could not even believe how fvcked up I thought that was. It was amazing how many swastika flags were flying. Very sad this day in age.

Quote Originally Posted by booz
    You will not see any racist chants at any Premier league or lower division games in England mate,it does not happen over hear anymore,it has been virtually stamped out!apart from millwall scum where you may here it!

I didn't catch the players name, but he plays on the Arsenal I think. He's doing commercials to show how he feels about the problem now.

I mean the guy is obviously a great player and they still mock him. It showed another guy doing a corner kick and all the spit he received on his face/head. It was pretty disturbing.

Funny they actually mentioned that in the show that England is the only country that took huge steps to stop racism in the stands and has been successful at it.

Quote Originally Posted by USfighterFC
    I saw that segment and I couldn't believe it. It actually made me sad that these guys are humiliated not by a small group of fans but in fact 10's of thousands. And that stat is no bullshit they mentioned in the show that a stadium of 50,000 people were mocking black players throwing bananas at them. I think the worst part of the show was the HUGE banner that stretched 100-200 feet long and read something in another language but translated in English it said "Auschwitz is your land, the ovens are your home" I could not even believe how fvcked up I thought that was. It was amazing how many swastika flags were flying. Very sad this day in age.
    Cool to see someone else who saw it.

Yea the part where they showed that was fuqed up. It's like literally a huge neo-nazi gathering. Did you see them in Spain throwing the "heil hitler" signs?

Than you see the board of the European Soccer association and there's not one person of colored skin.
    Last edited by Smak; 01-10-2006 at 04:19 PM.

NotSmall is offline English Rudeboy
    I'm not really into football but I was under the impression that the racism doesn't really happen like that in England nowadays.

The thuggery and hooliganism is alive and kicking though unfortunately - it's a complete mystery to me, it's not even as though the fans just clash at the game, they make arrangements to meet each other away from the ground and fight! - Why DO you and your buds do it booz?

Quote Originally Posted by NotSmall
    I'm not really into football but I was under the impression that the racism doesn't really happen like that in England nowadays.

The thuggery and hooliganism is alive and kicking though unfortunately - it's a complete mystery to me, it's not even as though the fans just clash at the game, they make arrangements to meet each other away from the ground and fight! - Why DO you and your buds do it booz?
    sssshh!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Smak
    Cool to see someone else who saw it.

Yea the part where they showed that was fuqed up. It's like literally a huge neo-nazi gathering. Did you see them in Spain?

I find it sickening that most likely members of their family probably were under occupation or fought against the nazis or even lost their lives to them and here 60 years later they fly the nazi flag and display the nazi salute. Disgusting. It's like Americans cheering for Bin Laden or Hussein if there is an Israeli soccer team playing against them.

Quote Originally Posted by USfighterFC
    Funny they actually mentioned that in the show that England is the only country that took huge steps to stop racism in the stands and has been successful at it.
    yes mate over the past 10 or so years it has been stamped out!there may still be some at grass root level.

sssshh!!!
    I knew I saw your clean and shiny head at one of those England matches.

Anyone seen Green Street?

you say it is a predominately white sport mate,it was around 15-20 years ago,but now at least half of any given squad are black.
    are you talking about clubs or countries?

Quote Originally Posted by Smak
    are you talking about clubs or countries?
    i am talkin english clubs prem downwards mate,and the england team there is at least a third black players.no football racism overhear anymore,in fact im quite sure that my club had the 1st black player john charles!

Anyone seen Green Street?
    that crap film about the ICF!!very poor havin a foreighner tryin to talk like a cockney,did not work for me,although it was meant to be about my teams infamous fans i thought football factory was better!!
    have you seen The Firm with gary oldmann,very good film again about us!!

that crap film about the ICF!!very poor havin a foreighner tryin to talk like a cockney,did not work for me,although it was meant to be about my teams infamous fans i thought football factory was better!!
    have you seen The Firm with gary oldmann,very good film again about us!!
    Nah, haven't seen The Firm, seen Football Factory - liked it, I like ID too even though it is a bit far fetched...

Yeah where was that guy in Green Street from? At times his accent sounded aussie but I've noticed that happens sometimes when americans try to do an English accent - cracks me up!

I enjoy these football hooligan films but at the same time I'm watching thinking Why the fuck would you wanna just go out and fight every weekend? and then inevitably one of them dies and they're all upset and I'm just sat there saying What the fuck did you think was gonna happen? - Like I said before, it's all a mystery to me how anyone can get so worked up over any sport, my uncle used to take me to matches and all my mates at school were into it so I tried to develop an interest but try as I might I just can't bring myself to give a flying fuck who wins or loses, it really does not affect my day one way or the other!

Nah, haven't seen The Firm, seen Football Factory - liked it, I like ID too even though it is a bit far fetched...

Yeah where was that guy in Green Street from? At times his accent sounded aussie but I've noticed that happens sometimes when americans try to do an English accent - cracks me up!

I enjoy these football hooligan films but at the same time I'm watching thinking Why the fuck would you wanna just go out and fight every weekend? and then inevitably one of them dies and they're all upset and I'm just sat there saying What the fuck did you think was gonna happen? - Like I said before, it's all a mystery to me how anyone can get so worked up over any sport, my uncle used to take me to matches and all my mates at school were into it so I tried to develop an interest but try as I might I just can't bring myself to give a flying fuck who wins or loses, it really does not affect my day one way or the other!
    i know wat you mean mateyou either like it or you hate it!!!
    i was just brought up down the road from upton park in a West Ham family so i was destined to be a wh nut !!!

i love footie and would die for my club,my life evolves around family football and trainin!!!You should try to get the Firm mate,its an old one but the best!!!

i know wat you mean mateyou either like it or you hate it!!!
    i was just brought up down the road from upton park in a West Ham family so i was destined to be a wh nut !!!

i love footie and would die for my club,my life evolves around family football and trainin!!!You should try to get the Firm mate,its an old one but the best!!!
    I'll get hold of it - I love british films!

Thread Information