Mike Dura is offline Senior Member

How many personal trainers out there?

And do you like what you do? Share your experiences.

SPIKE is offline AR-Hall of Famer/RETIRED
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Dura
    And do you like what you do? Share your experiences.

I've been training for over 6 years. Started off working for World's Gym and after 5 years there I branched off and started working independantely. I prefer working for myself but am getting to the point where I"m getting tired of training. I'm finishing up my schooling to become a Physical Therapist and cant wait. The only problem with that is after 7 years of schooling they're only starting off at about 45-50k. I make more then that now just training!!! It's a dog eat dog world, so many roads so many decisions...........

S.P.G is offline AR Workout Scientist
    iv been a PC / fitness instructor, for a while, i pay a gym to let me use there equipment,

That's awesome that you can make that much money from personal training.
    I'm sure over time you'd make more money as a phsical therapist right?
    I'm just ACE certified and I'd love to make a living from PT. I'm not sure where to start and what resources are available to me so that's why I'm reaching out here and any advice you can give is appreciated. I want to make this work because I love the gym.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayhova16
    I've been training for over 6 years. Started off working for World's Gym and after 5 years there I branched off and started working independantely. I prefer working for myself but am getting to the point where I"m getting tired of training. I'm finishing up my schooling to become a Physical Therapist and cant wait. The only problem with that is after 7 years of schooling they're only starting off at about 45-50k. I make more then that now just training!!! It's a dog eat dog world, so many roads so many decisions...........

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    I love what I do and I'll never stop expanding and adding to what I've built.

Truly a dream come true.

~SC~

SPIKE is offline AR-Hall of Famer/RETIRED
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Dura
    That's awesome that you can make that much money from personal training.

I was lucky b/c I hooked up with the right people that got me in at Worlds at the age of 19. I was the youngest trainer by 9 years. I have to admit at that age I was still obviously learning myself. I had a great boss that took his time to train me for months before putting me on the floor to work with people.

My gym paid for me to get NASM Certified then continue to climb up their ladder. What sucked about NASM back then is that you had to get re-certified every 2 years which was complete Bullsh*t. They say with further research new ideas are constantly rising up to make changes. That's basically marketing at it's best..............

Hey Mike if you could get in at a gym that would be awesome. It'[s very competitive these days so it may be difficult. In my case after acquiring such an elaborate list of clients I decided to pack it up and work for myself. After doing that I was getting paid about double and didnt have to answer to anyone.

Many options and routes. Plenty of people on this board that do what you want to. Always post questions, I love to help out if I can. Obviously SC is the best to talk to but he's so busy I dont know how he even has time to hit the boards..............

LewdTenant is offline Respected Member
    What happened to the PT Lounge and forum? There were some threads on this in there.

Took the NSCA CSCS exam and should get results soon. I love it because of the money, felxibility so I can go to school and work, and client-trainer interaction(helping someone reach their goal).

LewdTenant is offline Respected Member
    Mike,

I have no idea what kind of clients you are looking for but,Long Island is a rich area. Find a gym with clients that like to use PTs. Get referrals and branch out. Equinox opened at least one gym in LI. They are known for having a high percentage of members using PTs.

KeyMastur is offline VET
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    I love what I do and I'll never stop expanding and adding to what I've built.

Truly a dream come true.

~SC~
    why ? you don't look that good

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Hey Key, can you drink winny bruh??

~SC~

SVTMuscle* is offline Banned
    I'm currently studying for my ACE test. hopefully i past, the stuff is hard, but i got it...

The content seems hard, at least in some of the chapters. I found the anatomy and kinesics a bit sketchy and I'm sure a secondary source would help clarity some of this. But much of the tougher stuff isn't even represented on the test. In general, I found the test to be easy and others have agreed. Best to see the test format in the appendix of the ACE where it breaks the chapter content into proportions of items on the test and study accordingly. Ace also offers a functional anatomy DVD and seeing things in three dimentions helps alot for those tougher sections. But again, not many of these on test. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by SVTMuscle
    I'm currently studying for my ACE test. hopefully i past, the stuff is hard, but i got it...
    Last edited by Mike Dura; 01-15-2006 at 09:36 PM.

SVTMuscle* is offline Banned
    Well I got the 2 day course next weekend, so hopefully that helps alot

Thread Information