tie
    tie is offline Junior Member

Question How Big is your gym?

Bros

Am I a member of a pussy-foot gym?

I've been at the same gym now for over two years, and although it's grand, I think I may be out-growing it.....

It's fairly small, but with a good range of Life Fitness weight machines, and all the ususal cardio stuff, which I rarely touch.

The free weights area is fairly limited ( a smith machine, calf raise cable-cross over, two benches) and free weights. Thing is I'm at the limits on the free weights - e.g. heaviest db's are 24kg (50 lbs?)

What do you guys reckon; Is it time to move on, and how did you find a "real" gym that was good for you?

Tie

EXCESS is offline Retired Moderator
    Yep, that gym is holding you back. Find a gym that has dumbells that you want to be lifting when you start to make progress. My gym has dumbells up to 110 lbs. There are approx 12 moveable benches, 5 flat bar benches, 3 incline bar benches, 2 upright bar benches, 2 smith machines, 2 squat racks, numerous amounts of Hammer Strength machines, 2 cable areas, and a lot more. Do I sound like an ad yet? Find a gym that you won't outgrow.

palme is offline Rosie Member
    In Sweden some "modern" gyms dont want big musclemen only fitness people, so they simply remove the big dumbells, biggest might be 30kg´s.

Luckly my gym is a hardcore basement gym, mouuhaha!

tie
    tie is offline Junior Member
    Thanks Guys. Time for a change me thinks; there's a new place opened up downtown that has everything (even a floatation pool, with a revolving northern-hemisphere night sky above it - I kid you not). It's got a great gym, but at about $70 per month, I'd been putting it of. Here goes!

And yes, XS you do sound like an infomercial, and although your place sounds great, the comute puts me off. LOL

Tie

thegame01 is offline Member
    ya what Excess said. ihave a home gym and have 110 lbs dumbells and all the equipment needed .Its a must if you want to grow .spend a little more and lift heavy and enjoy the growth

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    Originally posted by palme
    In Sweden some "modern" gyms dont want big musclemen only fitness people, so they simply remove the big dumbells, biggest might be 30kg´s.

Luckly my gym is a hardcore basement gym, mouuhaha!
    I hate those gyms, but I train in a decent gym with pretty good equipment(dbs upp to 137 pounds), but its getting old and the owner does nothing to fix it, when something breaks he just put it into a storage room and never repairs it.
    Im also pissed because there is no power rack here.

Neo
    Neo is offline Senior Member
    Hey bro, definitely find some other place to go.......don't let the equipment hold you back!!!!

Big Rush is offline The Juice Man
    My gym is small yet very hardcore. The some of biggest guys in my city (with the exception of football players who work out in their brand new facility) workout at my gym. I like it because it's never too crowded and tanning is free with membership.

jeffylyte is offline Member
    Indiana. My phallus is bigger than Nathan's!
    yeah you need to go to a new one. i have my own gym in my basement (that is in serious need of upgrading) and it i great. all the heavy weight i want.

Dome is offline Junior Member
    Here's a pic of my gym..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How Big is your gym?-gym.jpg  

Another angle.

The bench and dumbbells/barbells are in the corner from were i took the picture.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How Big is your gym?-gym2.jpg  

punch bag.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How Big is your gym?-gym3.jpg  

As you can see,it ain't anything special..and it ain't very big.
    I think in total,theres about 350lbs in metal weights..So in about a months time.My training partner is going to be useing ALL the free weights for his Deadlifts.
    lol
    My training partner is the guy in the black top.
    (these pics were taken just a few weeks after christmas.)

marx is offline Member
    LOL, ya buddy, i think you need to find a new gym. My gyms got about 6 flat barbell benches, 3 inclines, 2 declines, 4 upright racks, 4 squat racks, and lots more. The dumbells go up to 160. If you wanna get bigger you need weights that you can work into, and 50lbs aint much to work with. Hopefully you can find something a little better and cheaper than $70 a month, i pay about $30 Canadian...

bigkev is offline Scamming Traitor
    the gym i train at (its a bally club) is 2 storys, 100,000 square feet. the place is like a little city! i was blown away by it when i first joined. i pay
    $35 per month.

Terinox is offline The One & Only
    Mine is university gym. Not too big, but still, it's got everything you need. Dumbells go to 120. The good part about my gym is the univ. always keeps it nice and tidy and new! Anytime something breaks or rips, they quickly replace it! As a matter of fact, they JUST changed all the dumbells and brought in new ones! Oh, and the Toronto Argaunats train at my univ. so there be some pretty huge boyz there!!!

Terinox is offline The One & Only
    Oh I forgot to mention, best of all, I don't pay by the month, cause it's integrated with tuition fees

TheGame826 is offline Member
    www.alsgym.com
    best gym in chicago i think, its not a ballys or an extreme, but it will get you huge, plus i always see bigger guys here compared to when i goto extreme.

TheDfromGC is offline Anabolic Member
    bally's is my gym. nice gym, has pretty much everything u could want

Ajax is offline Senior Member
    When the gym limits you it's time to move on!

I am about ready to hit my third gym in less than 1/2 a year. My apartment had a gym--that was OK for starting out. After 3 months, I had maxed out the machines, there was no more room to hang any more plates on the lat paulldowns and the dumbells were too light.

Moved on to a bigger gym--one geared for the local Thais. Thought I would be OK there for a year (luckily I only paid monthly), but 3 months later, I hae to haul weights in from the other room for bench presses, I am maxing out the dumbells, I did all the weights on the lat machine last night (100 kilos!) and the there are almost no more plates that I can put on the incline leg press.

So, in a month, it's on to a new gym. One thing kind of sucks though: as soon as you get to know the guys at a gym, it time to move on. Oh well, I go there to work out--not make friends anyway!

Farmer is offline Member
    I go to powerhouse, its got everything I need and they are adding more soon. Db's to 150, which is good because it gives me a goal. Only prob is some of the staff are f*cks

peace

tidaddy1 is offline New Member
    The gyms are on of the good things about being in the Air Force!!!

I have my choice of three different gyms on the same base all about a 5-10 min drive from each other. So depending what body part I working I go to the gym that has the better equipment for that body part!! All of them have db that go to at least 100's on of them go to 150 and has a bunch of hammer strength equipment.

Vaj10 is offline Associate Member
    World Gym in Paramus, NJ... So much equipment... dumbells up to 160... a lot of big guys... way too many "summer" people right now... all new faces who either show up after new years for their dumb-ass resolutions or right before summer... get out! LOL

TNT
    TNT is offline Retired Moderator
    Originally posted by bigkev
    the gym i train at (its a bally club) is 2 storys, 100,000 square feet. the place is like a little city! i was blown away by it when i first joined. i pay $35 per month.
    Bally's Total Fitness tends to get a bum rap on the AS boards, primarily because their advertising leans toward a glitzy or spandex crowd. They also have some of the most obnoxious sales reps around (their only goal is to make the sale), not the best personal trainers, and some of their clubs are to the point of being antiquated.

That said, however, they do deliver what they promise. It's not a country club, but most BTF clubs have more-than-adequate equipment and a good assortment of both circuit and free weights. They generally try to sell you a three-year membership which is competitive with other clubs, but after the three years (if you stick with them), the rate goes down tremendously. My advice: If you are going to go for Bally's, spend the extra bucks up front and get the premier membership (the kind that is good for all BTF clubs in the U.S. and Canada).

I joined Bally's in 1994, when the rate was $750 for the three years on the premier membership. I hesitated, and the sales rep threw in a fourth year free of charge. (Yes, they do negotiate - again, they ultimately want to make a sale.) After that, the renewal went down to well below $100 and only increases 10% a year; last year, I paid only $109, and it still covers all BTF clubs in the country. Thus, even if you move to another gym it pays to keep the membership up for when you travel. (I go to an independent gym near where I live, but get lots of use at Bally's when I travel.)

Only a few drawbacks to Ballys: First, their hours (most of the clubs tend to close at 10:00 P.M., although some are open until 11:00 P.M. or midnight). Second, some of the clubs get crowded, which can be a drag if you want to use the cardio equipment (depending on when you go). Third, BTF clubs with single-sex steam rooms/saunas off the locker room (as opposed to co-ed facilities) tend to be cruisy (gay guys looking for action). Finally, BTF does have a higher percentage of fat people wearing spandex and walking the treadmills while watching soap operas or trash talk shows on TV. If you can put these factors aside, however, a BTF membership is well worth it (especially if you travel to other cities).
    Last edited by TNT; 05-30-2002 at 11:48 AM.

BigD is offline Associate Member
    Both my friends sold memberships at bally's so I do know about the obnoxious sales strategies they use. There have been people leave their office in tears because they try and break them down to get them to sign. I also know that for a personal trainer they will pretty much higher any 18 year old off the street. They offer a certification course for their pt's but that is a joke.

for me it was between bally's and 24hour, so I chose 24hour based on those facts. Plus they are opening a 24hour right by my job supposed to be the best in Houston. Well see.

Thread Information