Iwan2bsolid2 is offline Senior Member

Digital camera's- what a decent one for a decent price?

Went to Fry's electronics warehouse today, bought a Canon Printer, I was checking out Digi Cams as well. They all started at like $399, only interested in Canon, Sony, Nikon. What are some you guy's own and what were some of the prices? If anyone can recomend me one that would be great. Thanks

BIG_JDAWG is offline Associate Member
    if i was you bro, just check on the net.. go to yahoo shopping.. they always have some good prices on that stuff.. i saw a digital camera/webcam for like $50.. not too shabby

Big Rush is offline The Juice Man
    i got a kodak dx 3600 on ebay, brand new in the box with a dock and software, for around $300...i like it.

Big Rush is offline The Juice Man

Re: Digital camera's- what a decent one for a decent price?

Originally posted by Iwan2bsolid2
    , only interested in Canon, Sony, Nikon.
    why only these brands??? there are several other good brands out there to choose. like kodak for example.

BigD is offline Associate Member
    The main thing you want to look for is the number of pixels it has and the amount of Zoom it's capable of. That's the 2 main differences between cameras.

I'd definitely check Ebay, they have a lot of new and refurbished camera's for cheap.

tryingtogetbig is offline Whiney Member
    I am also in the market for a dig camera. But, I want one that you can print quality pictures off of. Right now I scan 35mm pictures on scanner at 600 dpi and print on glossy photo quality paper and they look damn near like an actual picture from the photo lab on 35mm film. Does anybody know of one (dig camera) that takes this type of quality pictures?

Thanks,

ttgb

devland2 is offline Junior Member
    i have had a few kodak cams , happy with all of them

Most all digital cameras now days take photo quality pictures if not better. The problem is most people's printers will not print at photo quality.

Last month PCWorld Magazine ran an article "the top 10 digital camera's for under $500 dollars" I found the link,

Top 10 under 500

Thanks bros. That's exactly what I was needing. I had a Sony for work about 2 years ago and it didn't take photo quality - and my printer is capable. I hadn't had any experiences with a dig camera since.

Thanks guys!

peace,

ttgb

Big D- your the shit buddy. THankS!

Ok, bro's check it out, I went to the website my man Big D posted and found the ToshibaPDR-M71, it sells for $399. Then i went to the Toshiba website and the have a package that includes a USB card Reader and a 64mb Smart Media Cardhttp://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/pc/pc_prodDetail.jsp?comm=ST&plin=Digital%20Cameras&p fam=Camera%20Bundles&poid=202815&aoid=146150

Now I don't know shit about these things but this sound like a good deal to me. How can I find out if I can get this cheaper at a Place like- Best buy, Good guys, Fry's, Circuit City and so forth. For those of you that order off the net alot, are the prices lower than in actual stores like the one's I just listed? If you think that this is a good deal, I'll go for it, so let me know peep's - thanks for all da hizellpp.

Originally posted by BigD
    Most all digital cameras now days take photo quality pictures if not better. The problem is most people's printers will not print at photo quality....[/URL]
    How many high resolution (photo quality) pictures can you take on one now, say like with the 64 meg card? I know the one I had a couple of years ago I had to keep putting in 3.5" floppies and each would hold about 5 somewhat high resolution pics (not photo quality).

BTW, I used the "Search" button and couldn't find anything about this!!

Not Really! Thanks for the help guys.

peace,

ttgb

Try going to www.shopper.com or www.mysimon.com it will compare prices at different online stores. I know Fry's, Cricuit City, and Best Buy all have online stores.

Also be sure to check Ebay.

If you look at that link it tells you home many pictures the camera will hold at low quality and how many at high quality.

However most cameras use Compact Flash Cards and you can replace them with a larger size currently up to 1GB.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by tryingtogetbig
    [B]

How many high resolution (photo quality) pictures can you take on one now, say like with the 64 meg card?

The one I'm looking into with the 64mg card takes 40 picks.

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    Forgive me for skipping through most of the replies here. With Digi cams don't restrict yourself to known brands as their so new to the market that unless you going for an expensive professional quality (and there's few of these) go for the highest specs in a given price range that you can manage.
    A couple of things to bear in mind are;
    You WILL need rechargable batteries.
    Get as much memory as you can.
    And digi cam flashes are shit, regardless of the price.
    Finally what your buying is a cheap 'point and click' camera for a few hundred dollars!!.
    Digital zoom is NOT the same as optical zoom. With digi zoom the pic quality suffers as the lower the pix camera the dots will show up easiers.
    The different in 1.1 and 4 mega pix only really shows up in print quality as it mostly your computer hardware which will display your photos.

I recently bought one of the cheapest on the market, a Fujifilm Finepix PX2300 2.2 mega pix blah blah blah. And it produces photos which I consider absolutely first class.
    I hope I've been of some help. And to finish I'll post one or two photos I've taken of myself using my digicam in different light conditions. PLus you can checkout some of my photos in the gear photos board.

Here's one from Lebanon last year. Taken at dusk.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Digital camera's- what a decent one for a decent price?-sunset-leb.jpg  

One more of me in Lebanon last year, this time taken at mid day in extremly bright sunshine. Btw, these photos were taken at the camera default setting. And I'm not trying to sell you on buying a Fujifilm, just showing you take good photos can be taken with a cheap camera.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Digital camera's- what a decent one for a decent price?-binos-1.jpg  

thanks for the info and pics AKA. A couple post up I pasted a thread to Toshiba, will you check it out and tell me what you think meanwhile I'm going to check out that Fuji you were talking about. THANKS.

solid90062 is offline Member
    Ok I dont know anything about that particular Toshiba model...It seems like a good review. However I dont like Toshiba Cams in general..I used to work for a major computer retailer, and we sold them and they were not that great when it came to reliability.
    Sony, Canon, and Nikon are good, ANd the Minolta is pretty cool too...They have good internal mechanisms for high quality pictures and I can recommend their quality with confidence.

I really comes down to what you are using it for and how large of a print u intend to make from the photos u take. If its up to 8x10 then 2 megapixels will be enough...if its greater than 8x10 then you will need 4 megapixel or greater.

http://i4digital.com/Merchant2/merch...ry_Code=100300

I THINK IM GOING TO GO WITH THIS ONE, WHAT DO I NEED TO BUY AS WELL, BATTERY RECHARGER?, USB TO DOWNLOAD STUFF TO COMPUTER?, BIGGER MB CARD, HELP- WANT TO PURCHASE AND START TAKING PICS.

Ok you will need the rechargeable batteries for sure. You should really have as much memory as you can afford. But remember it's not nesseccary to set you file format to the finest quality in the camera for excellent shots, you can do this when you down load to the computer.
    You should get a USB cable with the camera, and as a very simple photo editor I use www.irfanview.com it's so easy to us it's a joke.
    Regards
    Bouncer

tigress is offline Retired Female Moderator
    Here is the one I just got. Don't know what the price would be in your area, but this takes excellent quality shots, and it's easy to download the photos to your computer.

olympus digital camera

Thanks to the person who posted that link to the top 10 too, I liked that.

Originally posted by tigress
    Here is the one I just got. Don't know what the price would be in your area, but this takes excellent quality shots, and it's easy to download the photos to your computer.

olympus digital camera

Thanks to the person who posted that link to the top 10 too, I liked that.

What tigeress said about the downloading is very important. Some camera require a degree in rocket science to download your pix.

Originally posted by Bouncer AKA bouncer

What tigeress said about the downloading is very important. Some camera require a degree in rocket science to download your pix.
    HAHAHA - shoot, I don't want that. So how do I know if it downloads easy or not? What to look for?

BTW- THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP.

TIGRESS- I CHECKED OUT THAT CAMERA, LOOKS REALLY NICE BUT I CAN'T AFFORD THAT NICE OF A CAMERA, LOOKING FOR SOMETHING UNDER $300- BUT THANKS SWEETIE.

Gear101 is offline Member
    i have a cannon PowerShot S330 love it

http://overture.cnet.com/shopping/re...powershot_s330

Most digital camera's work the same way.

You install software on you're computer that will read the camera. Then you hook up your digital camera to your computer typically via USB. Depending on the user friendliness of the software will determine the ease of transferring the pics to your computer. I dont find it that difficult but then again I work with computers for a living.

tigress is offline Retired Female Moderator
    Like BigD and Bouncer said, it's possible to download them off any camera after you install the software. But, I have had some less expensive ones that were difficult to download, took a long time, etc. I don't know how you could tell in advance, but I would check those reviews and get one of those.

This one is really easy, but of course, you must stay within your budget. I just won that one, totally unexpected, a few weekends ago. I did a 5k race and ended up being the top fundraiser, and the camera was a reward(I was totally shocked!) So since I didn't buy it I don't know what it's worth.
    One today is worth two tomorrows.

Thread Information