DATY Fanatic is offline Junior Member

Lightbulb Amazing Powers of the Mind

Power of the Mind! This is a true story that illustrates the amazing power of the mind. I’ll try to keep this as short as possible so I will skip part of the background story. Not to mention the fact that I don’t actually recall every little detail. I believe this story was profiled on the Discovery Health Channel.

A man suffered a serious injury to his right hand that resulted in the hand being amputated at the wrist. I’m not actually sure if the hand was amputated in surgery or actually severed in the accident. Nonetheless the hand is gone. At the time he lost the hand it was clenched in a tight fist.

Fast forward in time. The man has continually complained of relentless pain coming from the lost right hand. He explained that he knows he no longer has his right hand, but he can feel it cramping from the strain of the tightly clenched fist…he can even feel his finger nails digging into his palm. This was diagnosed as Phantom Hand syndrome with assurances that the pain will subside over time. The theory is that the brain is still interpreting signals from nerve endings that it believes are still attached. The pain doesn’t ease up, it’s unbearable! The man tries several forms of physical therapy to no avail. Up until now, you have probably heard similar stories relating to amputated limbs.

The incredible cure and the point of this thread! One day a Doctor/Psychiatrist decides to take a creative new approach and constructs a box with a series of angled mirrors inside. This doctor instructs the suffering man to make a fist with his left hand, the real hand, and stick both of his arms (up to the forearm) into openings in the box. Next the man was instructed to look down into the top of the box where to his amazement he saw both of hands clenched in fists. This is obviously an illusion created by the mirrors. Final the Doctor tells the man to keep looking into the box and unclench/open his hands. At that very moment the pain stopped. The mirrors had tricked the man’s brain into believing the amputated hand was now in a relaxed open position. AMAZING!

IMO This amazing story merely highlights the amazing powers of the mind. Powers that I think many Body Builders often forget to harness. Visualize what you want…big guns with added peak, shredded abs, successfully lifting that heavier weight…whatever, just visualize it! Consider it part of your Supplement regimen.

If you have a similar example or personal experiences involving the powers of the mind, please post it!

DATY Fanatic
    Last edited by DATY Fanatic; 05-25-2002 at 06:29 AM.

testprop is offline Associate Member
    On some days, when I manage to psyche myself up real well, I can bench 20+lbs more than I usually do.

I always take a couple of deep breaths and try to focus on something. When I have a good day it works and I almost rip the bar apart, on some days it doesn't...

Thanks Testprop! That's a slightly different angle, but still a good example. Getting psyched up mentally and physically surely helps...adrenaline and a host of other factors are all probably working together for you on the good days.

skiboy is offline Associate Member
    yea before my big races or competitions i visualize myself doing awesome, at whatever i am doing, it really seems to help.
    peace

bump

Wow I must have been way off base. I thought this story was actually very interesting. Only two guys have comments and examples? Yeash.

One last try...Bump!

Padawan is offline Associate Member
    Pretty cool story. I am always amazed by the power of the human mind. It will be great when we learn to use even more of the power and abilities. I used to visualize things before I would go out and play rugby, and it helped me focus a lot.

Mrs. T is offline Female Member
    I thought your story was really interesting. Back when I was in my 20's, I worked in a nursing home. One of the ladies I took care of was a sweet little black lady who had one leg amputated just above the knee. She called all of us "grand-daughter". Every time whe saw me, she would say "Grand-daughter! Come rub my foot! It hurts really bad!" I would stop what I was doing for a few minutes and rub her stump until her "foot" felt better. Your story reminded me of her.

All night the night before a Taekwondo Tournament, I lay in bed and envision myself performing my material for competition with great precision. I really just do it because I'm too nervous to sleep, so I'm practicing in my mind while I allow my body to lay at rest. Most of the time, I place. I have been in the top ten in my division consistently for 8 years. Although the tactic is more incidental than intentional, the result is pretty obvious.
    Mrs. T
    "We can change the world when we change ourselves. And the energy of our consciousness, like the energy of all light, continues into the eternity. When there is light in the soul there will be beauty in the person. When there is beauty in the person there will be harmony in the home. When there is harmony in the home there will order in the nation. When there is order in the nation there will be peace in the world."
    - Chinese Proverb

THE MIND IS SOO POWERFUL....

.....my mind helps me through some of the heaviest lifts on the bench...i really leave this world (in my head) and focus on the lift....and just push push push....

Thanks for keeping this one alive.

And Mrs. T...Top 10 for 8 years. That is truly awesome! Good work!

Kasushi sakuraba is offline Junior Member
    Hey yo! I once put up 25 more pounds on my max when I got in a arguement with my girl freind! I love to lift weights when I am mad! I just use the anger as a fuel to push harder. Good post bro

Thread Information