bigkev is offline Scamming Traitor

need a little help with my computer

i would like to defragment my computer but cant remeber how to do it. could someone help me out here?

jbrand is offline Member
    start -> run -> (type in) defrag

thanks bro.

nymattyk is offline Member
    probably a stupid question but what does defragment mean (im not such a computer wiz)

ot just deletes alot of useless stuff on your comp and clears alot of space out. it helps speed up your computer. thats in laymans terms! i am not a computer wiz either.

BigMike J is offline Anabolic Member
    To degrag is to organize your files to where they are more accessable, files that are shared by other programs are sometimes lost or misplaced.

BigKev you can also go to accessories and then go down to system tools and select disk defrag

KeyMastur is offline VET
    kev, defrag doesn't delete files, just reorganizes them to different allocations - basically moves the data that's used most where it can get to it quicker.

might want to delete all the files in c:\windows\temp - they can tend to take up a lot of space and are not necessary. a lot of programs store information here to help install files.

or even if you want run disk cleanup (Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Cleanup). that'll clear out some temp files, temp internet files, and other useless junk

GenuinePL is offline Senior Member
    HEY It looks like we got Hard Drive 101 over here. LOL

Just had to say that guys, haven't been on in a while but it looks like Kev is getting an A.

BigMike J is offline Anabolic Member
    Damn KeyMastur that's what i ment to say..

Matt29 is offline New Member

Might as well

Do the scan disk while you're at it too. And umm, if you want to know of any security vulnerabilities on your system, stop by pcpitstop.com and all you guys who dont use a firewall I think you should just run a google search for firewalls. I reccommend neowatch, that's what I use. I used to use zone alarm. Oh and Spy blocker too for those of you that feel the need to look at those smut sites. And DONT pay a cent for them. If you find somewhere you have to pay for them, Drop me a line, I can point you to a few. I know a good site that has cracks for almost anything, and YES, they have e-mail bombers for those of you that get scammed!, At least you can slow their mail process down a little, LOL

man, now thats what i call an informative thread! thanks guys.

TheDfromGC is offline Anabolic Member
    that ronnie in ur avatar kev?

skid is offline Banned
    not only does defrag reorganize your "complete" files for quicker access, it pulls large files, that have been split into little bits, into one centralized location, also helping them open quicker.

I agree with Matt29 about the value of ScanDisk - it will identify and "cordon off" areas of your hard drive that may be getting worn out from constant reuse ... before you write a file in there and can't get it back! If that file happens to be critical to the OS, your entire system could get torched.

(sorry, I work in Technology Training & Education ... I couldn't help but add my 2¢)

Padawan is offline Associate Member
    I like to remove the page file, defrag, then reconfigure the page file on the system. I always do it on a new system so that the page file is in one continous block on the disk.

Thread Information