G Child is offline Anabolic Member
    Some kind of padded room...wearing some kinda white jacket...can't move...help!

2 Seconds from beating my professors @ss

Venting once again...

Well I decided to leave class early today and my professor tells asks me what my name is when I'm walking out with attitude!!!! I couldn't believe that sh*t... Well I responded with my name and asked him WTF, did he think that was going to make me stay? After that I told myself just to leave before I really started to fly off the handle so I just continued to walk out.

I know he's going to tell me something tomorrow, and if he does I don't know if I'm gonna be able to control my temper. WTF does he think, that I'm a fuggin' 18 year old kid punk who's intimidated by his position as a professor? He acted as if I was the one that disrupted the class by leaving... uhh... hello, I wasn't the one that yelled out what's your name teach...

Anyways, this all comes at a bad time, venting and can't control my temper, someone broke in my house over the weekend and stole a lot of sh*t from me. I don't even know if my Omega or my Brietling are going to be covered by my policy so that is really putting me on edge.

Neo
    Neo is offline Senior Member
    Sorry to hear about that, bro. My house has been broken into before too and I definitely know how you feel. As far as the Prof goes.....I think you should let him say what he has to say and react from there. I've come into contact with Profs that were absolutely great people and were always understanding that college students have real life problems too, but then again I've had some that thought they walked on water. If he gives you a ration of shit, then explain to him what happened to you over the weekend and that you've been stressed recently. If he still gives you a hard time, then put him in his place. You're both adults and this isn't high school, do what is best for YOU. Don't accomidate his bloated ego.......best of luck.....

EXCESS is offline Retired Moderator
    Don't let one person do that to you. You want him to know that you're right? Then let him know that he can't fluster you. You'll gain respect from him and your peers.

TNT
    TNT is offline Retired Moderator

Cool Huh?

I hate to say this, G Child, but a reality check is in order . . .

I've been both a student and a professor, and all you're gonna do is come off as an 18-year-old punk (if that happens to be your age).

Take this for what it's worth in terms of changing your perspective...

Remebmer the Columbine shootings? My first thought was that, if I were still in high school, I probably would have shown up the next day wearing a black trench coat. Just for the fuck of it. (We call that warped humor. For those of you old enough to remember the People's Temple suicides at Jonestown, the week it happened I was the host of a Bible study group. When it came time for refreshments, I served them Kool Aid . . . in a bucket. Now, that's warped humor.)

Anyway, back to Columbine . . . My next thought was that if I were a teacher and someone showed up in a black trenchcoat in my classroom the day after Columbine, I would have shit. Then I would have had the S.O.B. expelled.

That's how your perspective changes with time.

Should you be intimidated by a professor? Of course not - you are the tuition-paying student. But that doesn't give you the right to be a putz. The educational relationship, like any other, is based on mutual respect. And whether you like it or not, your prof is the dude who can shave points on you, bump your grade downward - yes, based on your attitude - and fuck up your academic record. For better or worse, he does have that kind of power.

In other words, bro, you're in the real world now. Would you have done the same thing if the guy were your boss instead of your prof? Would you have walked out of work the same way you walked out of class? No, unless you planned to put your résumé out on the street the next day.

I guarantee that the issue isn't that you had to split early, the issue is that you, in your words, walked out with attitude. So you had a crappy weekend - get over it. I'm sure that everyone here can identify with what it feels like to be ripped off, but if you take it out on someone you know - whether your prof, an employer, girlfriend, a buddy, or anyone else - then everyone will think you're an 18-year-old punk. And unless you can tell us what that accomplishes (a rhetorical statement, since the answer is nothing), that ain't worth it.

Finally, for what it's worth, if you're going to make an impression, make it a good one. Your prof should have known your name already - and not because of a theatrical walkout. All you did was make yourself look like a schmuck to the whole class. Chalk it up to experience, and pay it differently next time.

Last edited by G Child; 07-12-2002 at 03:41 AM.

Originally posted by G Child
    All he had to say was he wished to speak to me at my earliest convenience.
    Hmmm...that doesn't seem so bad to me. If I put myself in his shoes I might do the same thing. Thats his classroom and he probably takes pride in his work. Walking out in the middle of class could have been taken as a insult.

Vaj10 is offline Associate Member
    ouch... i hope u find your watches!!! keep ur head up, my professors are all old assholes anyways.

Vegas Kid is offline Senior Member
    The professor should have kept mouth shut and finished the lecture. His job is to teach and not babysit, if you want to leave for whatever reason that shouldn't be any of his business unless he asked people to let him know if somebody was going to leave early.

silverfox is offline Retired Moderator
    Speaking as an instructor (college level) I HATE it and find it very disrupdive when someone just gets up and leaves, especailly during a lecture. So keep that in mind. By the sounds of your post to date sounds like you need to get your temper under control, most your posts deal with you being out of control over some minor issue or another.

Pete235 is offline Retired Moderator
    Originally posted by eye_candy
    Speaking as an instructor (college level) I HATE it and find it very disrupdive when someone just gets up and leaves, especailly during a lecture. So keep that in mind. By the sounds of your post to date sounds like you need to get your temper under control, most your posts deal with you being out of control over some minor issue or another.
    I agree.

MinnieMe is offline Female Member

Exclamation

G Child........try keeping home issues exactly where they belong.........."At Home".. even though at times it's hard to do.. but TRY........i'm really sorry to hear what happened..but you WILL get through this.. just like all other things in life you've over came........ .......Oh BTW......one more thing.........be sweet........

MinnieMe

Butch is offline Anabolic Member
    Hey G, I agree with you. As long as you made a clean quiet escape then WTF should the pro be concerned. When I was in college I would leave all the time. I never made it a habit, but if I wanted to leave I would. The teachers never minded and they never said anythihng. This porfessor was probaby pissed becasue everyone is always leaving his clas early. Which says something about his teaching. I wouldn't worry about it. If he says anything just tell him you had an appointment to attend. Respect the teacher, yet keep in mind your paying to go there.

tryingtogetbig is offline Whiney Member
    Being a sales professional in the "real world" for 9 years before going back and finishing up my bachelors degree, I do have what I consider a slightly different point of view on this.

A professor is a professional, experienced, role-model for what a student should be in the "real world" - theoretically. With me so far?

As a professional - in the real world- myself, I have learned that not everything day in and day out will happen within my control. I have to learn to continue with a sales presentation no matter the "distractions." For me to try and "control" the entire environment around me would be ludacrous. okay?

If a professor is trying to "control" the entire environment around them, then that is just silly IMO, and probably is someone trying to throw weight around just to stroke their ego. I hate it. I don't feel that is a good role model, or professor, or example of how to handle "real life situations."

At the collegiate level students do have lives outside of school. Some because they want to, some because they have to. I had to leave a class early one time for a business meeting I couldn't miss. The professor pulled the same shit on me. I was leaving very quietly and politely, and he stopped the entire class and wanted to single me out in front of 150 people. I told him where i was going was none of his business-he said it was. I told him he got paid to teach the class, so teach the class. He asked my name - I told him if he didn't know it then it's his own fucking problem. He said that I must not want to pass his class - I told him that is my problem, not his. I then asked him if he would like to meet one on one later that week to discuss the situation in a more "appropriate" manner and he said NO. I wasn't threatening him in any manner, just trying to say that the way he was handling things could be considered "inappropriate."

I got an "A" in the class, but I lost every ounce of respect for that professor. A couple of weeks later he had to cancel class because of something he had going on in his life????????!!!!!!!!! No shit, sometimes things happen. What's the difference in him cancelling class and me leaving 20 minutes early.

Several more times throughout my return to school I had to leave a class early or come in late. NEVER was it a problem with another professor. Go figure.

Just my take on things.

peace,

ttgb

Let's try to get this one all in one shot shall we:

Excess - Yes he may take pride in his class but it is still no reason for him to take such an inappropriate approach to addressing the situation.

Vaj – If I do find the watches they won’t find the body. And yes, I have had @ss Profs. In the past, nothing that I wasn’t able to deal with.

Vegas Kid – I agree

Now Eye-Candy… what can I say, but it’s disruptive when someone gets up and leaves? What about people who get up and go to the latrine all the time, the difference in that is? Not only are they “disrupting” the class when they leave, but once again when they return to their seats. And yes, I admit, I am a little out of control but those are issues that I am trying to get under control… we all have our flaws and my temper is one of my greatest flaws.

M-M…. I am a sweetie bebe… you just can’t tell!

Butch – I’m not worried about it, I’m worried that I might do something though…

Tryingtogetbig – I understand the whole ”being a professional” issue. He is a professional, but he is not carrying himself as such. As for him being a role model to me because he is a professional, I think not. As a ************** had my share of working with @sshole punks who love to get on their power trips and think that they can treat anyone anyway they want to because of the position that they hold over you. This situation is no different. The prof. Feels because this is his class he can demean and belittle whom he wants to? I don’t think so. I have never came at anyone disrespectfully while on the job, and at the same time do not expect for anyone to disrespect me.
    Last edited by G Child; 07-12-2002 at 03:43 AM.

Hey bro, I hope you read my post right. I was AGREEING with you completely. Just wanted to make sure. The way I started it off may have not sounded that way, but I definitely agreed with you in the end bro!

peace,

ttgb

TTGB- I got you bro, was just stating my opinion on it though

MinnieMe is offline Female Member

Talking

M-M…. I am a sweetie bebe… you just can’t tell! < Posted by :..G Child...>

There's no doubt in my mind.. that you are a sweetie.. just show that side a bit more.. that's all.........

MinnieMe...

Excess - Yes he may take pride in his class but it is still no reason for him to take such an inappropriate approach to addressing the situation.
    Inappropriate approach, huh? You titled this thread 2 Seconds from beating my professors @ss. That would be appropriate? I have nothing against you bro, but your temper sometimes seems to rule over ration. Peace.

Working on that Excess, see, I even went to class early today to catch the Professor before hand to make sure we were at an understanding on the situation so nothing would happen during class that might end up upsetting me and doing something irrational.

I approached him and just told him that I didn't appreciate the way he tried to embarass me. If he had a proble with me there is a time and place to discuss it. He said he understood, just thought that it was rude for me to leave. I told him that throughout the rest of the semester I will be leaving early and not to take it personally, I just have things to do. He said it would be fine now.

See, did I re-coop from this one without getting violent? I think that I did good here.... {patting myself on the back}

lol, you did good bro! Practice makes perfect!

peace,

ttgb

A nice outcome. Good job!

IronCy is offline Senior Member
    G
    Im with you on this--all that guy was trying to do was make an "example" of you---its total BS. If you teach at a college level, you have to be able to teach through "distractions" Kids leaving class early is an everyday occurrance--at least it was when I spent my 5 years in college---sometimes you get a wise guy who thinks be can be a badass in front of the class--maybe to make himself look powerful--maybe to make an example of you--maybe to scare others from leaving>>>things come up, which cause people to have to exit early, he should understand that---as far as people assuming you left with an attitude---attitude or not---him calling you on it took time AWAY from his lecture, therefore making your exit a bigger distraction. Next time he asked your name, tell him its Clark Griswald..or better yet...ignore him!
    -Cy

Terinox is offline The One & Only
    This is a BIG ASS DEBATE which can't rely be argued BECAUSE it all depends on the professor!

First of all, I don't know about American Universities, but the Canadian ones aren't so bad. I'm at the University of Toronto, and the whole fucken point of University is to be able to get up and leave when you want HOWEVER, if it happens ALL THE TIME then yes, that's ridiculous, but not if it's right in the beginning, or if it's just a few people.

I'd say that in an average one hour lecture, about 5-10 people would get up and leave to go to the bathroom. Assuming that this is one of our 200+ lectures. AND, most of the big lecture halls have doors in the back, so you just get up, and you leave out the back, nice and quiet so that you don't disturb too many people.

But once again, IT ALL DEPENDS on the prof. I had this prof that was quite a prick! Hated EVERYONE. He would go ape shit when a cell phone rang, he would get pissed when people leave class. I have had other profs who don't really care. You want to leave? Leave. As long as your not making too much noise, then fine.

Also, if your lecture is longer then one hour, then the prof HAS to give you a short break (at least in our University). So if you can wait, then wait till the break, and then go take your shit, or leave class. But if it's only a one hour lecture, and you really need to leave, then leave.

I think that YOUR professor in specific acted quite unprofessional, and it was quite stupid of him to do such a thing. Sometimes my professor would just say something sarcastic, or a joke that would be JUST A LITTLE offensive to the person leaving or something, but not in a direct way either. So...well what can you do?

Only way to complain, is if your going to cgo all the way, and I mean by complaing directly to the DEAN and getting other students involved!

Pete235 is offline Retired Moderator
    If your temper is as big a problem as you claim you should not be doing AAS.

Big Al is offline Retired Moderator
    have to agree with Pete, sounds like you need to address why you get so angry.......shit I do it all the time, but its not healthy, stress can increase cortisol levels thus greating a catabolic phase.

Peace

palme is offline Rosie Member
    I almost head butted my proffesor one time, we had an final exam and i forgot my pen, then he tells me to leave when i ask if i can borrow one of his. The dude had like 100 pens on his desk(!)

That was a close call!!

And yes i know it was my own fault forgetting the pen at the first place.

Originally posted by Pete235
    If your temper is as big a problem as you claim you should not be doing AAS.
    I know you are not implying that I use illicit drugs!!!

Drugs are bad!

Butch is offline Anabolic Member

I know you are not implying that I use illicit drugs!!!

Drugs are bad!
    I could of sworn that this was a drug free board? There's no hope with dope!!!

As Thergood Jenkins put it best "Up with hope, down with dope!" - Half Baked....

Thread Information