demetri is offline Member

What happened to my back swing

A couple of years ago I had a back swing. Now it seems since I've put on size that I jsut can't seem to get the full range of motion on the back swing with my Golf club.

Anyone have any ideas on what I can do to get that full swing back into my game?

Neo
    Neo is offline Senior Member
    Stretch out before you pick up the clubs. Go to a local proshop and check out a training club called the "Medicus." It really helps to keep your swing on the proper plane. Also, I've found it helps if you take a couple swings the opposite way....meaning that if you're right handed, swing the club as if you were left handed a couple times. Just get loose and relax.....( i used to run a pro shop, give golf lessons, and i play a lot, so shoot me a PM if you need help on anything)

Thanks for the tips. I'm going to try pactice swinging the club the other way this weekend. It never occured to me to try but it makes sense.

Neo
    Oh yeah, forgot something. When I started out last spring, I was having the same problem. I picked up one of those weights or "donuts" they have for golf clubs. (like the ones they use in baseball) Swinging with it on the practice tee helped loosen me up a lot. They make weighted practice clubs too. They are even better. They are a regular club head with a weighted yellow shaft. For the life of me, I can't remember the actual brand name, but they are great.

Butch is offline Anabolic Member
    Bro, you just have to swing through it. What I mean is your body will adjust to the swing you give. Like Neo said buy a dount (much cheaper than the "fix my game" gimmick). The weight will help you find a swing that will adjust to your new size. I have had to adjust my swing as well. WHen I started playing 15 years ago I weighed 150. SInce then I have put on alomost 80 pounds of size. My swing has adjusted and I am playing better than I ever have. I even brought my handicap down to the low single digits. Also, I hit the ball alot farther.

So oI think in time you will adjust to a swing that fits your body. Give it some time. Good luck!

Wimmpy is offline Associate Member
    I think if your body is changing shape your swing is going to also. It might feel different because your swing plane might change, you just have to make adjustments? The way I see it Tiger isn't gonna have the same swing as the "Walrus" (Stadler kills me!). But hey I am just another HACKER!

Originally posted by Diesel
    I don't seem to have a problem with my backswing. If anything mine can be to long.
    How big are you?
    I'm 5'5" and 165. I'm lighter than last year but I'm also leaner. I was hoping that would help with my swing but it's the same as last year when I was 175.

My back has really come up in the last 5 years and to be honest I hadn't noticed that my back swing had disapeared until someone mentioned it last year. I'm not the greatest golfer but I'd like to be a bit better and I think I drove the ball better a few years ago.

I can get the club over my shoulder but then I don't have my eye on the ball anymore.

Neo
    Originally posted by demetri

I can get the club over my shoulder but then I don't have my eye on the ball anymore.
    Practice keeping your head down. Try facing a wall with a small broom in your hands. Get close enough to the wall so you are leaning against it with your forehead but your body is far enough away so you can still grip the broom. Practice a couple of slow swings with the broom as if you were sweeping the area where the wall meets the floor, but move the broom in the same movement you would a golf club. Keep your head down and focused on the same place. This may sound crazy but it does work......let me know if that was clear enough or if you have any more questions....

Thread Information