Buddha_Red is offline Senior Member

Karate classes pricing

Hey gang,

I have read a few of you are taking classes and i cannot find one website that will even list a ballpark figure.

Each place i call wants me to meet with them first which sets off my "high pressure sales alert".

I know each state will be different but how much do you pay? or did pay as a newbie?

thanks

arthurb999 is offline Anabolic Member
    The school I train at is $57 a month. They had a 2 week trial @ $20 which included a uniform.

DC24 is offline Junior Member
    American Shotokan here. $30 a month

tigress is offline Retired Female Moderator
    Uechi Ryu karate, $50 a month until black belt, then if I was teaching it was $25.

Tsuroka Do karate, $25 a month as a black belt, not sure what they charged other ranks, but it was more than that. I wasn't qualified to teach there, they just charged the shodan+ ranks less.

For a competition/quality gi, expect to pay upwards of $150, mine was $220. I am in Canada, so this is in CAD.
    One today is worth two tomorrows.

Just a tip for you as well, don't be scared off by the "high pressure sales tactics". You SHOULD go and check out the different dojos in your area to find a sensei and atmosphere that suits you. Saving a few bucks a month will not make a difference if you don't feel comfortable where you train. Most places will let you take a beginner class for free, or at the very least, watch a class.

Very good advice.

I just wanted to get a ballpark number so i dont have to hide if its WELL above my budget.

I will be visiting a few different dojos since i have no idea what form i want to take.

thank you all for responding, heh is there anything this board cant help with?

yall rock!

If you find a place that you like, tell them what your budget is, and ask if you can do any work around the dojo to make up some of your tuition. Try to take in a more advanced class, and watch how the students interact with each other, as well as the instructor. The last thing anyone needs is to invest 6months or more into a style/dojo/dojang, and discover that everything is a constant power struggle, or that the head instructor is a ego maniac.

Padawan is offline Associate Member
    The place I used to go to was $47 a month. I left for the military, and came back this year, and they had jacked the price to $87 (!!!!) a month. I kindly said no thanks, and started looking elsewhere.

ironfist is offline Elite Hall Of Fame ~ RIP ~
    I pay $85 a month for unlimited classes...Classes are 6 days a week for 2-3 hrs a time....We train BJJ, Greco Roman Wrestling, Boxing and Mauy Thai kickboxing I pay $85 a month for unlimited classes...
    Last edited by ironfist; 06-19-2002 at 10:31 AM.

G Child is offline Anabolic Member
    Some kind of padded room...wearing some kinda white jacket...can't move...help!
    ironfist, how much do you pay for the classes? How often do the classes meet and how long are the training sessions for? And also, what kinds of styles do they teach?

ironfist, how much do you pay for the classes? How often do the classes meet and how long are the training sessions for? And also, what kinds of styles do they teach?

LOL

Thread Information