Iwan2bsolid2 is offline Senior Member

Question How much can you make being a personal trainer?

I ask because I'm tired of my job...I mean I like it. I make a nice amount of money in little time bartending, but I'm over working fri, sat, sun....weekends, this is when everyone goes out- has fun, goes on trips, and I'm stuck working -cause that's the best time to make cash. People always tell me why don't I be a personal trainer, but could I make great money doing this. I know it depends on clientel and the club you work at, but can anyone throw some #'s at me? What's the average hourly wage? Thanks peeps

SOLID

Yung Wun is offline Member
    i'm a highschool kid
    and i got placed at the gym (a well known club in canada)
    i was working and getting a better understanding of being a personal trainer, and what the others made me realized was
    that if you worked as a Pt full time you wouldnt bring in enough income, i mean the pay rates are exceptional but that is determinded on how educated you are and what papers you hold. How many people can you possibly train in a day, and think of making 20 dollars a hour but with only like 2-3 clients for the entire day. the gym i was placed at also paid its Pt's hourly rates for supervision of the gym grounds. But usually it was only one or the other, if they didnt have no one to train they would do supervision hours. They were required a mandatory 20 supervison hours per month. But thats just a rule for this company, and as you know varies. i just wanted to speak on the situation on what i have learned working there. i personally wanted to get into that field of work, but just realized that i need a base job to bring in enough income. just remember all gyms have a down time, where hardly no one is motivated to workout and that need guidance. I still plan on getting my papers at a toronto college, and pursuing Pt later on in my future. i hoped i helped a little

Hitman is offline Senior Member
    over here in new zealand you need the minimum quals of diploma in science and sports, once you have that a couple of my mates charge 40-$50 an hour as well as getting their $10 an hour for being there for the gym itself.Kinda makes me think im in the wrong job to................HITMAN

Terinox is offline The One & Only
    Do you need some mad biology knowledge as well? I mean i've never done biology before, but I mean can you become a PT without that stuff?

ibiza69 is offline Senior Member
    at my gym the pt's charge about $30/hour as a base price with 30% going to the gym as a user fee, the more experienced trainers can demand around $50/hour with the same 30% going to the gym. i personally do not know what the average clientel number is per day but if you only train 3-4 people per day then it is hardly worth it. i don't know if the pt's at my gym get an hourly rate though.
    BTW all wages in canadian dollars.

samoth is offline Member
    You _may_ need to know some basics of bio... sure would'nt hurt. But you do not need "mad biology knowledge", as you put it

iron4life79 is offline Retired Moderator
    i am a pt, certified through i.s.s.a. and a.c.e. and while i never signed on at a regular club, ive been freelancing since 1996. lets just say that while my client base is strong, im not going to quit my day job......................
    imho, this field takes almost as much dedication as just being a bb'er. there are constant updates and numerous changes to keep up with as this field keeps evolving. you have to keep up with these changes, because if you dont your client will find someone who will.
    i could go on and on but this should be enough to get you thinking for now. there are a lot of things involved in being a personal trainer, and this is just the tip of the 'berg. if i were you, i wouldnt quit what youre doing now until youve gotten certified, and looked around at what its like out there.

peace bb79

PTbyJason is offline Retired Admin
    I'm only making about 50 K a year personal training full time at 24 hour fitness and I am one of the busiest at my club. Not a bad pay, but I would like a little more.

Iron horse is offline Anabolic Member
    50K us isn't bad Jason! lol

I know tons and tons that make that canadian, but atleast we have great health care. 50K us, is what I play on making when converted to canadian dollars, and Im happy with that.

PTbyJason is offline Retired Admin
    we do get medical and dental insurance, vacation time, etc....so I guess I can't complain too much. Just greedy I guess.

Thread Information