Thread: rotator cuff

muscleup36 is offline Female Member

Thumbs down rotator cuff

Has anyone had rotator cuff surgery? Got a small tear. Scheduled for surgery in a month. Had cortisone injection today. Too many bench press competitions in past years!!!! Be careful people!

I ONLY HAD A STRESS TEAR.....

...hey muscle sawp dude...any chance of getting a second opinion?? and is it a complete tear??....i only had a stress tear which is not as bad obviously..the rotor cuff area was stretched (overly stressed) in a since according to the mri...that was in may or jun of 2000..and like the idiot i was i kept wrestling on it...so starting in aug of that yr i started to lay off of everything cept legs and even squating hurt that. so in mid nov-feb was no lifting at all.only wrestling...and theropy with trainers..when i came back it felt great. plus the time off did everything good..but i was even more of a moron when i decided to arm wrestle my buddy in may of 2001(my buddy jack daniels told me to do it) i freakin reinjured it and i was f-up again till aug same yr...thats when i tried some deca theropy and took the plunge into the dark side. thats the wonder drug for me...took the come back slow again with short intense work outs. now no problems and my plan is to have an injury free 2002! ! !

MRI showed small tear. This has been going on for about 2 yrs. I used to compete in bench press competitions and deadlift competitions. For a month I haven't been able to sleep and it's a constant PAIN! Tried bextra, which is a anti-inflam., but didn't work. strength diminishing. I'm a personal trainer and it's also caused from overtraining.

Neo
    Neo is offline Senior Member
    My father tore his rotator cuff a couple of years ago. Make sure you go and get it treated. He waited, it got worse, and the pain became unbelieveable. Good luck with the surgery, bro!!!!

skid is offline Banned
    my dad hurt his rotator a number of years ago as well and tried to maintain it with exercise ... it was never quite the same until he had surgery last year, now he's 110% ... if you trust your diagnosis, your doctor, and your insurance, go for it ... my dad now wishes he fixed it YEARS ago

skid is offline Banned
    Originally posted by Diesel
    ...By the time I was done, it felt like someone had put a railroad spike through my shoulder.

Back to the dumbells.
    Dude, that sucks. Hope there's no permanant damage!

skid is offline Banned
    that IS strange - I guess it's tribute to how finicky that stupid tendon (?) can be ... but at least you can do those!

Big Rush is offline The Juice Man
    My left shoulder has been bothering me for the last 2 months! When I bench press it really hurts and the same with Military presses, but when I do a couple of sets the pain subsides somewhat allowing me to finish my workouts. What do you guys think this sounds like. I know your not doctors, but any help would be appreciated. Oh ya, the more weight I do, the less it hurts when I workout....wierd huh?

skid is offline Banned
    hmmm - that sounds a bit like an experience I had a couple months back:

hurt my lower back (don't remember doing what) and was in pain for 2 weeks - chiropractor, stim, massage, etc and nothing helped ... finally decided to just DO the d*mn deadlifts ... man, the first set nearly killed me, tears and all! but by the time I was done with the 2nd set, the pain was GONE! my chiro figures it was some scar tissue that needed to be broken up ... dunno if that's what's going on in your shoulder ... I'm sure someone else has a better diagnosis!

Commander_Bash is offline Junior Member
    my shoulders hurt me a lot when i workout both of them they kill me when i bench even if i do pushups or a hammer strength machine they still hurt me you think i could've tore both of them im 20 now i started working out when i was 17 its gonna be 3 years soon and like for 2 of these years my shoulders been killing me im thinking i might've hurt them when i first started........Anyone think i should get them checked out?????

PaPaPumP is offline Retired Moderator
    Been there. Rehab for half of the year. It's creeping back at me, and it's delaying my upcoming cycle. One word od advice...KEEP doing rehab always and forever after...I did for about 6 months, then stopped.... 2 years later...here I am...HOPEFULLY and praying I'm not back to square 1. gotta have faith

btw...i got an ice pack on it as i type this...it feels like heaven!

I've been a personal trainer for 15yrs. I'm an exercise addict. I feel like surgery is gonna set me back mentally and physically. I'm a type A personality. The cortisone helped yesterday, but I can only have so many. It weakens the tendons. The tear is small, I know it will get worse over time. I can't even bench press at all now, have to use dumbells. It sux!!!!!!! I want to do a bb contest in August!!!!

skid is offline Banned
    I understand the setback concerns ... all I can say is my dad can NOW do things he wasn't able to do for the last 5 years ... his recovery was amazingly quick ... I think you'll bounce back faster than you expect ... the miracles of modern technology!

timing of that August contest sux tho ... sorry you're disappointed!

BigMLB is offline New Member
    i had shoulder surgery. They had to fix two ligaments which i blown playin football. Get it fixed soon, don't ignore it. Mine started off with a slight tear so i kept on playing... soon i had to "pop" my shoulder in half-time at almost every game. Its shit cuz you're not gonna work out for awhile. But let it heal and things will be great once again. About the flat bench its all good for me, they must have f*cked up something diesel!

primodonna is offline Female Member
    Originally posted by muscleup36
    I've been a personal trainer for 15yrs. I'm an exercise addict. I feel like surgery is gonna set me back mentally and physically. I'm a type A personality. The cortisone helped yesterday, but I can only have so many. It weakens the tendons. The tear is small, I know it will get worse over time. I can't even bench press at all now, have to use dumbells. It sux!!!!!!! I want to do a bb contest in August!!!!
    I haven't benched in years (only incline db and once a month flat db's)

You can still build a good sized chest without the traditional bench

Pete235 is offline Retired Moderator
    Originally posted by primodonna
    I haven't benched in years (only incline db and once a month flat db's)
    You can still build a good sized chest without the traditional bench
    Exactly!! I'm the same as Primo...last time I performed a traditional bench press was 1997. I use incline db's as my main mass building movement, swiss ball db presses, incline flies, hammer declines and occasionally cable crossovers.

bigtraps1 is offline New Member
    Originally posted by Pete235

Exactly!! I'm the same as Primo...last time I performed a traditional bench press was 1997. I use incline db's as my main mass building movement, swiss ball db presses, incline flies, hammer declines and occasionally cable crossovers.
    Yep, same here Pete. I haven't benched in a few years. Incline DB's does the best for me, along with incline flies, hammer's and decline flies sometimes. Up tp 90 lb. db's on my flies.

-BIGTRAPS-

You guys are so encouraging. I've been really stressin over this shit. I've never had an injury, and have been working out for 15yrs. I love to bench, and last night was able to bench for the first time in weeks. I went very, very LIGHT! Finished with dumbells. Just to know you have an injury, will friggin drive you NUTS! I now know my limitations. If I have to go light for the rest of my life, I will, just to keep from having surgery. Talked with someone who's had 3 shoulder surgeries, and the outcome was not good. She said this herself. A ligiment is easier to fix than a tendon!!!

Thread Information