FHSAA CHaMP is offline Junior Member

Fighting style...

Hey everybody,
    I'm set on starting up some sort of fighting style, having wrestled for almost my entire life.. I'm up for something new, does anybody have any good experiences doing a certain martial art or boxing? Any suggestions to kick ass! lol

G Child is offline Anabolic Member
    Some kind of padded room...wearing some kinda white jacket...can't move...help!
    Juice hit it on the spot, I was just watching that special on pay per view about Gracie, he was a pretty bad fellow.

BigMike J is offline Anabolic Member
    I was gonna say grappling, but same thing.. i love it.

Sicilian30 is offline Respected Member
    Originally posted by Juice Junkie
    Jiujitsu plain and simple. I dont care how big you are or how well you can punch once you take a guy to ground its all over. Most american jiujitsu schools also teach a little kick boxing and boxing to develop a well rounded fighter.
    Good call Juicey. Personally I have studied many many different styles. Juijitsu being one of them. I am have a 2nd degree black belt in wing chun Do, which is sort of like Mauy Tai kickboxing. However, I have studied many different arts, right now I am actually taking Ninjitsu, (well some parts of it). I have studied, Aikido, (which I like very well), Wing Chun Kung Fu, Jeet Gune Do, Tae Kwon Do, Savate, Wrestling, American Boxing, Mauy Tai, JuiJitsu (as I mentioned earlier), and Judo, just to name a few. Ninjitusu is something really fasinating to me. We are learning how to meditate and direct our "chi", and use it to knock people out. we are working on the "no touch knockouts", which I haven't even come close to mastering, but very interesting to study. We are also studing weapons, as well as hand to hand, including some "deadly moves" that are extremely dangerous to perform, therefore we have to use extreme caution when practicing. Pretty neato stuff. I didn't realize how much meditation is involved in Ninjitsu, I thought we would be kicking each other's asses, but instead, we meditate more than we actually fight, in the beginning anyway.

Thanks guys..
    do any of you know of a good jiu-jitsu school in Miami?

palme is offline Rosie Member
    I got background in Aikido, Thaiboxing and Shootfighting. I havnt tryed jiu-jitsu so i cant speak of it.

But as they say above learn both standing and ground fighting and you will be complete.

Im playing with the thought of start training submission wretsling myself.

Sicilian30 is offline Respected Member
    Very good mix there Palme..

Originally posted by Sicilian30
    Very good mix there Palme..
    It has helped me a few times

Juice Junkie, ive heard of LINE only once before, do you have a url were i can check it out?

Originally posted by Juice Junkie
    LINE is LInear in movement Neuroligical Engagement. Basically its some joint locks, throws, boxing and kicking and some deadly strikes. To the best of my knowledge its not taught on the outside. This was a form that the Marine Corp through together as its own style from several different styles. The've now dropped this for another mix that leans more towards ground fighting.
    Ok, thanks bro.

Anyone know the name for the israeli army combat tech? I saw it at a Martial Arts show not to long ago and it looked awsome.

What about Jeet Kune Do? That is a good one, it really works

Wow, I wasn't expecting to get such an awesome response from all of you. I've actually learned a lot from this thread already.
    Would it be good if I were to study Jiu-Jitsu and Muay Thai at the same time? Although I don't know how to find a Muay Thai instructor here in Miami. Again, thanks to all!
    Would any of these fighting styles help with flexibility? I've always tried to reach a split or straddle and have been close but not there yet! err

Thanks for the link man, I'm gonna go check it out now.
    I will probably alternate days with both martial arts. Sounds great man. I'll probably go with a school lol
    Oh, about the quote, that is what my coach told me seconds before i won states in wrestling. It's stayed with me since then and has become my motto in life. God rest his soul.

The knees and elbows was the reason i wanted to competive in K1 figths! No thougher sport out there!

ValeTudo is offline New Member
    Damn!!! Juice Junkie brought out LINE!!! Hahahaha!!! Talk about old school! Now the Corps has started Marine Corps Martial Arts. It's taken the place of LINE and has alot more NHB type moves...i.e. ground fighting and muay thai strikes plus all the other techniques that the Corps uses. All the new boots coming from PI or SD have tan belts..the first step in their "Semper Fu" training. Basically they can fall down and not get hurt...LOL!!!
    Juice Junkie...were you prior enlisted?

hoss827 is offline Banned
    I would say Tae Kwon Do. I was in it for two years and learned more about self-defense then I did about anything. Then my shoulder came dislocated and...no more tae kwon do :-(. But I whats weird is you would rather find an alternative in fighthing rather then kicking ass...Its an advantage to know how to fight, but Im not sure if its a advantage or disadvantage to NOT want to fight.

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    All depends what you want to get out of training. Street self defense, mma tournaments, or just for a fun hobby.

Having such a deep wrestling background, you have little need to focus on more grappling. Just go to any freestyle mma dojo and roll with these guys once a week, that will give you exposure to what judo and ju-jitsu guys do, and allow you to experience it and adapt your wrestling skills to it and learn a few new tricks. If you are a decent wrestler, you will likely be able to roll 90% of the guys in most any mma dojo into the ground, fast. I remeber the first time I grappled( I'm a ju-jitsu guy )a wrestler..it was a wake up call. Maybe its a little different in Canada cause wrestling isn't as big as it is in the states, so good wrestlers are not that common.

Take up Muay-Thai, get some striking skills down, and practice them in isolation at a dojo that only does Muay-Thai. After you feel you have a good base head over to an mma dojo and practice sparring with both grappling and striking in combination.

BDTR is offline Retired
    Muay thai is the way to go, then work from there. I started out with Muay thai as a kid and worked my way into catch wrestling and BJJ, i'd say im very well rounded after a decade of training. Oh btw, this thread is old as shit.

Dude-Man is offline Anabolic Member
    Yeah, what's the deal with this? It seems like every day we get a thread bumped up that's over 2 years old. I've even seen some of mine moved up to the top, even though no one had posted in them. Wonder what's going on. As far as real world fighting goes, i'd say krav mega is great. They teach you disarmament skills, and a lot of ground fighting techniques. Backed by the isreali military!

Thread Information