Terinox is offline The One & Only

An Eagle Talon Question...

Sup ya'll,

I know that a lot of you are "car guys" and i'm hoping maybe some of you out there can be of some help.

I live in Canada...Toronto to be exact. I am looking for an Eagle Talon, and I have found this one, it's old, a 1992 Talon TSi Turbo but it's in pretty damn good condition. It's body is very clean, no rust, runs good and the milage is only 153KM which is 94000Miles. Now the person is asking for $5950C = 3838US but he might lower to about $5500C or something around there which = about $3548US.

What ya'll think? is this good deal?

I will also be going to an auction tomorrow, i really want a 95+ instead, cause the second generation looks much better then the first. However, I don't got much to spend

Any help is welcome, thnx.

Take care
    Terinox

Lil D is offline Junior Member
    That is a good buy, low milage since i have a '96 eclipse with more miles then that. It is a great car 1st generation or 2nd, but the 3rd what the hell was mistushibi thinking. $3548 is a good deal.

manijak is offline Associate Member
    it all depends of the condition of the car...not the body and rust as much as motor (I imagine that's what you want the talon for) .
    smell the oil on the stick ,listen the turbo for play,check the compression ,CV joints ,BRAKES,smoke and any unusual noises ...
    As far the model I would go for 94+ turbo DOHC AWD since those provide tons and tons of fun ....
    good luck
    Last edited by manijak; 08-27-2002 at 08:30 PM.

Vegas Kid is offline Senior Member
    Do you want something to fuck around in or are you looking for it to last a long time? If the later, then you might want to look into an import.

The $$ they're asking for isn't that much but you definitely want to take it to a mechanics shop to check it out before you buy.

Jack87 is offline Retired Vet
    Terinox go to www.kbb.com and price it out... I went there real quick and came up with $3,080 for a private party sale... That's in US dollars... Sounds like the price may be a little high...

If it's the 2 door coupe with out AWD in Good condition, the Kelley Blue Book has it around $2800 with the mileage you were talking about. That's in the US though.

Oh and since we're on the subject of cars instead of steroids for once... I just bought a 1996 Ford Taurus SHO and if anyone has some bright ideas on how to knock of a second or two for it's quarter mile times I'll owe you one...

Best I came up with was a trick exhaust, modified air filter, and a performance module... All only good for about a 50hp gain.... Not enough to really do what I want...

Hard to find performance parts for a Ford

I'm guessing you have a 32 valve V-8 which puts out roughly 235hp.

You can get a K&N filter

take off your catalytic converters if you dare or just get a bypass

If you're concerned about speed dump some nitrous in it as well.

If you really want to do some drastic stuff and $ ain't to big of a deal, then:

New exhaust with jet coated headers
    New MAF sensor
    Port your heads
    New pulleys
    Ignition swap

It's all up to your wallet and time.

Vegas you gear head you You know your shit brother....

Yeah It's has the Yamaha V-8, but Ford had them tune the damn thing way down... That engine has tons of potential... Just not in stock form...

I already priced out a cam grind too... $1500 bucks for an extra 20 horses at the wheels... Pretty fucking steep for 20 horses... I want to stay away from NOS because I was lucky enough to find the car with only 46,000 miles and I don't want to burn up the engine just yet...

She's definitly getting the K & N filter and an exhaust kit with a bypass around the cats... I thought about porting the heads too, but I haven't been able to find any specs on how well they flow stock... so i don't know how much of a gain to expect from working the heads...

She's my new toy though and I plan on making her a sleeper that surprises some of muscle cars roaming the streets in NJ/PA....

thanks for the info brother...

footballcat is offline Associate Member
    go to sho.com

And thats a good price, you can make the lil tsi turbos fast for cheap. In the 13s for under 1000 bucks

Or just buy a Mustang.

manijak is offline Associate Member
    forced induction is the answer dude...go blower ..
    .but if you go more than 65-70 hp gains the internals will have to be upgraded....
    my suggestion is supercharger + thicker head gasket for conservative
    turbo and intern upgrades for mad power

Thnx a lot for your help guys, i'll check out those websites for price checks.

I don't really want it for it's performance, i just really like the way the car looks, and they aren't too common up here in Toronto. You see too many Honda's, Mustang's etc...up here. Talon, nice and unique. The performance is a minor thing for me

One more thing I forgot to mention,

The guy has added some things to the car. He put in a nice 6 disc cd changer, he installed an alarm/keyless entry. Also, he bought brand new tires. Supposedly he is just selling the car because he has injured his leg and can NOT drive 5-spd. anymore. Could be true, could be a lie, not too sure. Car like I said, did look like it was in good condition.

My dad is a member of UCDA. He checked the VIN number with them, and apparently in 1994 it had gotten into two accidents, one on the right side, and one on the left side, but ONLY to the doors. No engine impact. But, assuming it's been running good since 94, that's a good 8 years. I'm not expecting this car to be perfect. And i'm not looking to make good money when I end up selling myself. Probably a car I will end up keeping a good 3 to 4 years. Given it lasts.

Also, Kelley Blue Book basically says it's worth what the guy is offering, so maybe it's not too bad like you guys said.

Thnx again for the help

yea sounds like a good price to me buddie

OMG!!!!

I went to auction today, got there late (thnx to my uncle) and i MISSED a Black 95 Eagle Talon TSi AWD auto. with 104000Miles for ONLY $3740!!!

I'M REALLY PISSED RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

David B. is offline Member
    Originally posted by Vegas Kid
    Do you want something to fuck around in or are you looking for it to last a long time? If the later, then you might want to look into an import.
    Er, uh, it IS an import. The Eagle Talon was the same car as a Mitsubishi Eclipse.

--dnb

so u get the one u wanted

Originally posted by footballcat
    so u get the one u wanted
    So I get the one I wanted? U mean the original 92?

Well, unfortunetly a new problem has arisen! Since I can't sell my car right now, a 94 Nissan Altima, I have no money, and since I have no money, I can't buy the Talon. The only way I can buy a Talon now, is if I buy it at an auction, reason being that since my dad's a dealer, if he buys the Talon from an auction, he doesn't have to pay for it up to two months (just the interest).

New problem really screwed me up the ass!!!

Oh, and I just KNOW that if I finally get to sell my car, like the very same day that 92 Talon will probably be sold to some prick!

man that sucks

tatty is offline Member
    Originally posted by Terinox
    OMG!!!!

I went to auction today, got there late (thnx to my uncle) and i MISSED a Black 95 Eagle Talon TSi AWD auto. with 104000Miles for ONLY $3740!!!

I'M REALLY PISSED RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Second generation Talons (95-98) and Eclipse (95-99) are notorious for something called crankwalk. They both share the 4G63Turbo motor. Here's a link on crankwalk.

http://old.road-race.com/walkingcrankshaft.htm

Go here for your worldwide source and forum for DSM.

http://www.dsm.org

David B. is offline Member
    Originally posted by tatty

Second generation Talons (95-98) and Eclipse (95-99) are notorious for something called crankwalk. They both share the 4G63Turbo motor. Here's a link on crankwalk.
    Mitsubishi engines in general are known for not holding up as well as the engines of other Japanese makes. A friend in the used car business has been complaining about a lot of Mitsu Galants and Diamantes that are coming off-lease at 60,000 miles with rod knock and/or high oil consumption problems.

--dnb

tatty is offline Member
    Originally posted by David B.

Mitsubishi engines in general are known for not holding up as well as the engines of other Japanese makes. A friend in the used car business has been complaining about a lot of Mitsu Galants and Diamantes that are coming off-lease at 60,000 miles with rod knock and/or high oil consumption problems.

--dnb
    Mitsubishi has never done well period. They were supposed to hit Canadian shores in 1997 but due to lack of funding from so many recalls they had to pull out until 2003 or 2004.

I wouldn't say many other Japanese makes are that horrid though. Toyota and Honda both have proven track records when it comes to reliability. But every company has it's fair share of mistakes. It just so happens that Mitsubishi has a buffet sized plate.

Originally posted by David B.

Er, uh, it IS an import. The Eagle Talon was the same car as a Mitsubishi Eclipse.

--dnb
    Yes and no, Diamond Star Motors (DSM) was a joint effort between Mitsubishi AND Chrysler's Eagle and Plymouth divisions. This partnership is responsible for producing the Eclipse, Talon and Laser.

However, the cars are practically the same except for the badging on it. The canadian version of the Talon doesn't come with automatic seat belts "mouse belts" and has metric gauges (obviously). It also comes with a slightly larger alternator 90A as oppossed to the 75A which comes in the US version.

BTW, 210hp if I'm not mistaken.

Originally posted by buff87

Yeah It's has the Yamaha V-8, but Ford had them tune the damn thing way down... That engine has tons of potential... Just not in stock form...

I already priced out a cam grind too... $1500 bucks for an extra 20 horses at the wheels... Pretty fucking steep for 20 horses...
    Originally they were made to have 300hp from the factory but they decided that was too much for the average JOE.

$1500, Fuck that. You might want to look into engine swaps, I don't really know what will fit in their but you could always just build an engine and put that in there. Couldn't you just swap out the cam?

So would you all say that the first generation Talon's were actually made BETTER then the second generation Talon's? With less problems? And do the manual 92's also have that "walking" problem?

Darkknight442 is offline Associate Member
    looks like id on't need to add my two cents here

Originally posted by Vegas Kid

Originally they were made to have 300hp from the factory but they decided that was too much for the average JOE.

$1500, Fuck that. You might want to look into engine swaps, I don't really know what will fit in their but you could always just build an engine and put that in there. Couldn't you just swap out the cam?
    Vegas that Yamaha engines has 4 cams so even if someone made a performance cam it would still be expensive as fuck to buy 4 of them... I found a company that makes a supercharger for it and I think that's the way I'll end up going... 5psi or 6psi boost is all I think I'll need with a exhaust kit and K & N cone filter to get me where I want to be.... Talking some major money that way too... Couple of grand for the supercharger, but damn she'll be fun to drive!

I'm just curious about where you read they were originally made it to produce 300hp? That would have been a nice place to start instead of where it's at now...
    thanks bro

jamotech is offline Member
    Originally posted by buff87
    Oh and since we're on the subject of cars instead of steroids for once... I just bought a 1996 Ford Taurus SHO and if anyone has some bright ideas on how to knock of a second or two for it's quarter mile times I'll owe you one...

Best I came up with was a trick exhaust, modified air filter, and a performance module... All only good for about a 50hp gain.... Not enough to really do what I want...

Hard to find performance parts for a Ford
    High flow cat-dont remove-replace or it will never run right, that engine relies heavily on its cpu management.

What kind of "module" did you get? The best thing is to send your cpu out to a company like JET and have them reprogram it after youve done EVERYTHING you want to it so their reprogramming will be tailored to what you have

Is youre modified air intake cold air? if not thats a step in the right direction

a good combo of high quality plugs and wires(if it even has spark plug wires, im not sure) and a spark management system like MSD.

Lighter rims will lower your quarter time, or even a weight reduction project($$$$ and must be done by a real pro) and some high quality sticky tires for a good launch.

If they make it a performance or larger throttlebody.

Just this particular technicians opinion, JTPTO

Oh ya terinox, for that year and mileage its too much, finding book values before you buy will keep you from wondering. 2nd generation talons are cheaper than the 2nd generation eclipses, fyi.
    Last edited by jamotech; 09-05-2002 at 12:49 AM.

maguilagorilla is offline Associate Member
    buff87.. get a chevy thatll help! and terinox always, always be patient when buying a car price them good drive them hard on a test run see if smokes when you crank it,be careful with those turbos they can be truoblesome if they need repairs. that price sounds high. i dont know how far you are from U.S but travel a little to find a deal hey if you can save a cuople hundred or more it'll be worth it. i personally wouldnt buy a rice grinder , but good luck!

It's a sad day in the world of automobiles

Unfortenly, my uncle couldn't find me a Talon, they are so rare up here dammit! There was ONLY one, which I mentioned, and I think it even ended up being collision damaged.

So...since I really needed a new car before school started (one that didn't leak gas when you pumped...ROFL) I ended up taking a 1997 Saturn SC1. It's not a bad car overall. Only 102k KM on it. Which is about 60 Miles i'm guessing. It's a cool dark green colour. Eh, what can you do? I'm gonna drive this for a while, and hopefully, in the near future (1-2 years) I can find me a nice Eagle Talon, cause i'm DAMN obsessed with them.

That's the EXACT same car my girl has. Since we live together I drive it (CD player, gas mileage) and overall it's not bad. I wish it had more power but oh well. The mileage sounds good and I think it should last you plenty. If you have any q's on it go ahead and ask cuz I've worked on hers.

im in the process of getting a new car, my talon was just totaled.

Originally posted by jamotech
    im in the process of getting a new car, my talon was just totaled.
    Damn, what happened? How did it happen?

Damn, what happened? How did it happen?
    Not that bad, just enough to bend the frame. I got tboned from the side by a S10 blazer. I have a neck injury , so hopefully I get enough of a personal injury case to get a descent bike (cbr 900rr or zx900rr). As for my new car im buying my mothers A4 1.8t. But ill tell ya terinox im gonna miss it, it only had 64,000 miles and ran MINT. Appreciate your concern bro.

Well it's good to hear you weren't injured too seriously. That claim sounds good Sweet sweet law suit, ROFL

It's almost painful, seeing a nice car get damaged!!! Even if it's a tiny scratch, you really feel the pain yourself!

Hope you enjoy the bike (but I would buy another Talon)

EXCESS is offline Retired Moderator
    It's almost painful, seeing a nice car get damaged!!!
    Two weeks ago I was walking outside when I saw a lady drive by in a BMW M3 Cabriolet. She drove over a hill and I couldn't see her anymore, and then I heard a loud smash. I walked over the hill to see that she had crashed it in the intersection...entire front end totalled!!!

tatty is offline Member
    Originally posted by EXCESS

Two weeks ago I was walking outside when I saw a lady drive by in a BMW M3 Cabriolet. She drove over a hill and I couldn't see her anymore, and then I heard a loud smash. I walked over the hill to see that she had crashed it in the intersection...entire front end totalled!!!
    She doesn't deserve it!

Just kidding. I don't know the circumstances, but half the time, the nitwits that buy performance cars really should invest in driving school before buying a car beyond their capabilities.

Originally posted by tatty

She doesn't deserve it!

Just kidding. I don't know the circumstances, but half the time, the nitwits that buy performance cars really should invest in driving school before buying a car beyond their capabilities.
    SO SO SO TRUE!!!

I just love that look when you see this 16yr old drive by in honda civic with cut springs and a cherry bomb with his jaw dropped sitting 2 inches away from the wheel even though his seat is reclined all the way back. Thank god those types of cars dont last long before the kid fucks it up!(hopefully not hurting anyone in the process).

Thread Information