shorty2big is offline Member

any auto mechanics out there

I was wondering if someone could possibly help me out with a problem with my '97 Jeep wrangler. Problem started after a big rain where I was driving through some deep water. The next day my Jeep starts idiling low and stuttering while accelerating. At night the jeep runs just fine but idles high. Is it the O2 sensor? Any ideas? Been running like this for a few days now.Thanks for any help

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    The distributur cap might be damp or shot now and also plug wires. My truck used to do it everytime it rained .
    If people can't tell your on steroids then your doing them wrong

physio_sport is offline Banned
    im going to start engineering and motor sports this year at collage but also have done a little work on cars before.

im not sure but if its stuttering while accelerating you air filter might have got dirty and might need to be replaced or cleaned because it might be blocking your air flow.

but ill have a word with my friend who a mechanic tonight and let you know.

Tank21 is offline Associate Member
    Obviously it goes without saying that water has damaged something. I agree that it could be the distributer cap. Take it off, look at the points on the top. check for a burnt one or miscolor. CHeck for all burnt or miscolored or loose wires. That could be the easiest thing. However, you have probably have shorted out or electically impeded one of the fuel management or spark controllers. Being a 97, you have a maze of wires down there. Check all your fuses although i higly doubt it is that simple. Check for resets near all electrical boxes. i am not sure about the layout of the Wrangler and its engine bay. You can try to take a voltmeter and try to find where the impeded, low spot is but that is slow and tedious. My suggestion to you is to take it too a shop. Have them plug in the diagnostic computer for the outragous price they charge and have them tell you exactly what the read out is as far as the problems. Then depending on your mechanical expertise, try to fix itself. Or, if you are really a do it yourselfer, you can buy the consumer versions of the computers and do you own diagnostic, but fuck it, just take it to pep boys. You def fucked up sometype of electrical sensor that controll engine timing and idle. Just my guess, or just see if it goes away. thats what i do before i start tearing shit apart. YeeHaw

shorty2big is offline Member
    thanks for the replies. I guess that the water was just all coincidence. I did a diagnostic on it and it was the throttle positioning sensor. REplaced it and it's good as new now. By the way, auto zone will do a diagnostic on your vehicle for free.

symatech is offline Retired Moderator
    for free! really? thats awesome

Thread Information