Big Show 23 Guest

Question What cause unemployment

I seriously wonder that sometimes.What causes unemployment?

I've always been taught that unemployment was the result of poor economic conditions.But that can't be all true,because not everyone is affected.Some people end up getting nice Sales Associate jobs w/o any prior experience & training.Whereas those who are trained or experienced get stuck having to work in factories w/ men & women who left school at Grade 9(For example)

Jack87 is offline Retired Vet
    Sometimes you get lucky in finding the right job.... And sometimes you make your own luck and work hard to get what you want....

KeyMastur is offline VET
    All about who you know.....

abstrack is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    it's all about porking the bosses wife!!!
    abstrack@protonmail.com

Wimmpy is offline Associate Member
    Its being in the right place at the right time. When people talk about unemployment it makes me think of how many jobs I have left and wonder is it really that bad? Every time I have left it always been a step up. If things get bad would it hurt to take a step back?

latman49 is offline Member
    It depends on a variety of factors, but right now the most important one is the employment sector you are searching for a job in....if a certain job is in demand, the UR is going to be low in that field. In this area, Nursing is the hot job, there aren't enough nurses to fill all of the available positions. Unemployment in this field should be 0%. Unemployment is very high in this area for applied sciences. I have a friend with dual degrees in Biochemistry and Cell Biology who can't get a job. I have two other friends with Envirionmental Science degrees who can't find jobs. The economy will always stay the same, but the hard times just shift from one area to the next.

The Unemployment Rate is also scewed by deadbeats who don't want a job and keep drawing a free check for as long as they can before having to actually do some work.
    Last edited by latman49; 09-08-2002 at 07:49 PM.

jeffylyte is offline Member
    Indiana. My phallus is bigger than Nathan's!
    there are also economoc policy reasons. The fed tries to keep an unemployment rate of ~3-4%. This acts to keep inflation low.

Pete235 is offline Retired Moderator
    Originally posted by KeyMastur
    All about who you know.....

....exactly!! You have to use your network of contacts and personal relationships. At least that has been my experience.

Pete235 is offline Retired Moderator
    That being said, knowing the right person usually only gets your foot in the door. What happens after that is entirely up to the individual.

Vegas Kid is offline Senior Member
    The cause for unemployment in most cases is laziness or an inability to make a sacrafice on one's part to go get a job. There is no such thing as no jobs available, you just have to be willing to accept jobs you may not like during tough times.

Big Show 23 Guest
    Originally posted by Vegas Kid
    The cause for unemployment in most cases is laziness or an inability to make a sacrafice on one's part to go get a job. There is no such thing as no jobs available, you just have to be willing to accept jobs you may not like during tough times.
    That sounds like you're pretty much generalizing VK.There's more to it then that I'm sure.

"Judge not,least ye be judged"

Vegas Kid is offline Senior Member
    For example?

demetri is offline Member
    Sorry Dude, I agree with the kid. Most people are unemployed because they are lazy and lack the initiative to go out and get a job.

I worked in a pawn shop and that's who we made our money off of. They would always say they had never been to a pawn shop before but most of the time you could find a sticker from a competitor on the item they were pawning off. Handy really because we all use the same code so you know what the other guy loaned them.

I agree, there are a lot of useless people out there with jobs, but they had the right soft skills to nail the interview. If they're lucky to have made it into a union they can continue to be useless and not worry about being fired, they'll get raises, and even promotions based on their senority.

Ultimately what causes unemployment is more people than jobs.

Big Show 23 Guest
    Well I know better than to try and change someone's opinion so I won't try to.That's what experience has taught me

But I will say that the statement "Get a Job" denotes ease,and to correct you "Find a Job" "Not Get a Job".Because getting a job is not and for a while has never really been easy.

Getting a job is easy. My brother in law is a fine example. He has a PHD in Paleontology and getting a job is hard. He is picky and wants one specific job at one specific university. He teaches part time and tried to get UI but couldn't due to a low unemployement rate.

He is certainly qualified to "get a job" but not humble enough to go and work at Starbucks. I don't think he should have to but I also don't think that he should be so focussed on getting a job that someone will have to die in before he gets the nod (fosils teaching about fosils).

I've done some crappy jobs, but they've always led to less crappy ones. It's when you sit and do nothing that people look at and wonder "what the f*ck was this guy doing with his time". You may not always get the job you want at first but that's no excuse for not working. Manitoba has the lowest unemployment rate in Canada right now, there's tons of jobs. Every place I look has help wanted signs.

I see lots of people hanging out in Osborne village asking for money. They could just as easily "go and get a job", but they make more from handouts plus they get to "hang" all day. Plus I've been in the banks on main street on welfare days. I have no sympathy for people who aren't even trying. I have even less for those who are "too good" for the menial jobs.

Big Show 23 Guest
    That's your opinion and that's fine,but to put The Osborne people who ask for handouts and the people on welfare with everyone else who do try is not fair.Like I said it simply isn't that cut and dry,there are so many variables,stories and experiences that it isn't funny

And Manitoba isn't that good or else the media dubbed "Manitoba Brain Drain" wouldn't have happened(and possibly still be happening)

overhere is offline New Member
    lotta times you need to target what is hot.

I was stuck in a bad sales job a while back. I took a college certificate course in computers, and had a lot of luck. Even in this bad economy, there is a lot of work in the industry.

I watch trends now and try to specialize in emerging things where there is not a lot of experience.

best of luck

Originally posted by Big Show 23
    That's your opinion and that's fine,but to put The Osborne people who ask for handouts and the people on welfare with everyone else who do try is not fair.Like I said it simply isn't that cut and dry,there are so many variables,stories and experiences that it isn't funny
    I didn't say it was cut and dry. I said that I have no sympathy for people who aren't trying. I was speaking in general terms and about no one in specific.

I still believe that anyone with a small amount of initiative can go out there and get a job. It may not be their dream job ... but it's a job.

Brain drain is because we are educating more people than we have jobs for. That's why Greece exports so many doctors. There is this obsession with some families that you have no value if you don't have a university degree.

I swear one in four people I talk to is becoming a nurse. Sure we have a nursing shortage here, but what happens in 4 years when we have more than we can employ … they go elsewhere and contribute to the brain drain.

If you train someone for a job they can’t get at home they find a new home. Why? They had the initiative to learn a skill and then go and find a job.

If everyone has a university degree then who does the plumbing, contracting, roads and whatever else.

Thread Information