Terinox is offline The One & Only

Need Help With Singing Career!!! CAN ANYONE HELP???

Hi ya'll,

First of all, let me start by saying it's not for myself...LOL, cause my voice sucks shit!

Anyways, this is how it goes, I have a 15 year old cousin, and she has a VERY nice voice, and everyone that has heard it says she has good potential!!! She is very nervous about singing in front of other people though, she would barely sing in front of me! Anyways, once she sang to me over her microphone on her computer, and it REALLY sounded good. Now the way I see it, if her voice sounds THAT good through a cheap $5 dollar microphone OVER a 56K internet connection!!! IMAGINE how good it would sound in a MILLION dollar studio!!!

Now I have told her not to expect much at first, and no one is expecting her to become some huge famous singer overnight. But I would really like her voice to be heard and for a professional opinion. Does anyone know the steps through this? I also live in Canada. So for those of you who know anything up here, it would be great.

I've heard a lot of people sing, and lately almost ANYONE can become a singer, but my cousin (i believe) has a very nice voice and could maybe do something with it

I also don't want her going and finding some sleezy AGENT who will take advantage of her and possibly end up have some problems down the road (fakes/law suits/jack asses/etc...)

If ANYONE can help me, plz PM me, thanks very much for you time.

I should mention, another problem is that her mom doesn't really support her in this. It's not that the mother doesn't see the potential, it's just that she thinks that my cousin will turn into some famous singer and then become nothing but an alcoholic/drug user. This is quite ridiculous, but that's what parents are there for. Her dad does kind of support her, but the poor guy works like 12 hour a day, and doesn't have much time for these kinds of things.

That is why i'm stepping into the picture and hopefully I can be of some help.

Any help is appreciated, I have NO IDEA how to get started! I'm gonna search through yellow pages, maybe find some kind of agency or talent search, but who knows who you can trust these days!!!

samoth is offline Member
    She's 15, therefore still in high school. Have her join the school choir or whatever things like that they have. She can meet people with knowledge of where to go, who to go to, etc. That is the easiest start, I think.

BELLICOSE is offline Banned
    have here take voice lessons at her school. Contact the choir director at her school and she will surely give your cousin lessons.
    Singing lessons are not so much to work on your voice, but to mostly improve your confidence and stage presence.
    I took singing lessons this year, cause it was mandatory to be in the school musical. In three months, i had enough confidence to sing on stage and even got a lead role in the school musical and went to a national competition and placed 5th.
    The first step is that she needs to get comfortable with her voice, then she should think about joining choir. Once people hear her belt out a tune, word will travel fast

freakout is offline Associate Member
    Another way which speeds up the process is to gain stage experience and get noticed by encouraging her to join some singing competitions especially the healthy ones. It actually trains her to find her suitable vocal path and image setting.

If she really has the potential, she gets to be picked by talent searchers.

Great, thnx for the feedback guys.

I also think the choir thing is best. But she's probably even too nervous to go and tell her music teacher about this stuff. I think I gotta push her just a bit towards that, and make her talk to her music teacher.

Competitions sound good, maybe not right now, cause of her stage fright and all, but that's a great possibility in the near future.

jammergsxr is offline Member
    O.K. maybe I can help,I,m a contracted songwriter and I,ve seen alot of wasted talent!Number 1 can she play an instrument?Number 2 has she tried writing her own songs?When looking for a publisher and label,these can help big time!Now look for companies who will critique for free(hoping to find talent)then she could record her voice singing her favorite song(have this done at a studio)should only take a 4 hour block so its pretty cheap,then send it in.These people are very honest so listen to thier advise!at 15 she has lots of time to really work on her voice,guitar,and writing (Highly recommended or piano).If you need info on song structure and Rhyme patterns I,d be glad to help out!Meen while she needs to be on stage or in front of crowds as much as possible so she can get comfortable with the surrounding and family does not count,strangers who couldn't care less are the best feedback!

jeffylyte is offline Member
    Indiana. My phallus is bigger than Nathan's!
    I agree with jammer. Good voices are a dime a dozen. Performers dont make squat for points anyway unless they are famous and after thier third album. Producers and writers can make some good money though. Right now young songwriter chicks are in. Look at Branch, Lavigne, and Carlton. They only way to be popular, however is to look good, at fifteen, im sure she does. The body is all that matters, anyway, the rest can be fixed with a good stylist/makeup artist. Have her write some tunes, learn the guitar, and take choir and voice. Remember to key on singing with playing (sometimes takes time to learn).

remember:
    1) Image sells. Dont let anybody tell you otherwise. There have been many mediocre acts that hit it big with the right writer, producer, and sound guy. Look at Britney Spears. Find an image.
    2) It pays to look good. When was the last time you saw an fat and ugly star not playing blues or jazz?
    3) Learn to write. It makes more money. The ditches are lined with broke platinum album performers. It happens when you only make a quarter per album and still have to pay back all expenses.
    4) It helps to sing well, but is not critical. Thats what technology is for, use it by going to the studio. Blink 182 is a perfect example of people who couldnt carry a tune in a bucket. Its called a real-time intonation processor.
    5) Shes young, use it. Record execs like the young ones.

All right my book is done. Can you see the caffeine from the EC stack is kicking in?

Once again I appreciate the help, and that's the thing with my cousin, she is EXACTLY what you described!!!

She very well knows the piano, she has been playing the piano since she was like 8 years old. She's in like leve 9 or something of piano (which I believe you are even allowed to start teaching others at this level). Also at 15, yes she does look nice (not fat/ugly) and could easily compete in the looks department as well with other singers.

I'm not sure how good she is at writing, but people can help her out with that part, and she can get better at that. Another thing though, is her school is very important, both to her parents and me too! I want her to do well in school. That's another reason why her parents (mostly mother) is really concerned. She has three years left in highschool. Now i'm not sure if she plans to go to college/university, but that's still a possibility, and as long as she does good in highschool, she would always have that option.

jammergsxr, if you don't mind, I would like to PM you a couple questions.

Thnx again for the feedback guys!
    T.

jeffylyte is offline Member
    Indiana. My phallus is bigger than Nathan's!
    oh yeah, there is always american idol!

Originally posted by jeffylyte
    oh yeah, there is always american idol!

My cousin would have to enter "Canadian Idol"

jammergsxr is offline Member
    P.M. away brother I,ll help any way I can!Now with the concern over school and drugs and the whole performer lifestyle,I would highly recommend the country music scene!Education and strong health is held in very high regards.That and strong vocals are a must just listen to Martina Mcbride(an angels voice)Faith Hill,and Trisha yearwood.Now Trisha isn,t a little petite thing and still has the respect of all her peers,Why?that voice can make you cry!If your cousin has the skill take where it wont be wasted!PoP music will waste it,thats where image is everything!

Originally posted by jammergsxr
    P.M. away brother I,ll help any way I can!Now with the concern over school and drugs and the whole performer lifestyle,I would highly recommend the country music scene!Education and strong health is held in very high regards.That and strong vocals are a must just listen to Martina Mcbride(an angels voice)Faith Hill,and Trisha yearwood.Now Trisha isn,t a little petite thing and still has the respect of all her peers,Why?that voice can make you cry!If your cousin has the skill take where it wont be wasted!PoP music will waste it,thats where image is everything!
    That is a good point, however, the problem is she IS a big pop/rab/hiphop fan herself. She enjoys singing slow songs though as well, not too fast. I'm not sure, that will have to be really thought out!

Thnx

Good news, my cousin spoke with her mother and is now taking singing lessons along side her piano lessons!

Thread Information