Thread: BMW Codes?

Terinox is offline The One & Only

BMW Codes?

So, going back to the problem I was having with the 2000 323i, I was able to get my mechanic to scan the car and get the ABS codes, but unfortunetly he said they have no access to what the codes mean, because BMW refuses to release them or something??? I went and searched in Google and various "bimmer forums" and couldn't find anything. Is there a way to find out what the codes stand for? Or do I really have no choice but to take to the dealer? Who will obviously charge me like over 100 bux just to tell me the definitions

Thnx,
    T.

soulstealer is offline Anabolic Member
    Theres also something the dealers dont want you to know.... is that there are trainers all around that train the BMW certified technicians and these trainers usually own their own shops in the area found that to be true for nissan(my car) and honda my friends car dont know about BMW but if you can ask around and find one of these guys he'll have their proprietary hardware for your car...ends up bein way cheaper for them to check out your car... =P

J*U*icEd is offline Anabolic Member
    let me know what the codes were and i can most likey find out... ive been doin automotive engineering for 8 years now.... ill find out

jerseyboy is offline Anabolic Member
    It's against the law for years now for the manufacturers to withhold code definitions. Some scanners may not have them in it but they certainly aren't for BMW eyes only. My MODIS has codes for every manufacturer. All cars from 96 to current must be OBD 2 compliant. I know this because I'm a licensed State inspector for NJ as well as ASE Master Technician. Give me the code number and I can probably tell you what is is right now.

nice jerseyboy i wish i had a solus modis... im ase certified as well... lay out the codes for us man.... one of us will figure it out

Actually it belongs to the company I work for. I couldn't afford one. I'd be making payments the rest of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by jerseyboy View Post
    Actually it belongs to the company I work for. I couldn't afford one. I'd be making payments the rest of my life.
    lol i was gonna say... i have about 20k worth of tools... lol... and there is no way i would be paying the credit off for a modis....

Hey guys, thanks for the help, if you really can find out the codes, that would be terrific.

I have three ABS codes: 118, 112, 115. Now, the thing also though, is that I did find what two of the codes mean for a BMW 330i, and I'm not sure if they would mean the same thing for my 323i, but this is what those ones were (by the way, the codes I have are the BMW DTC Codes, as there are apparently two kinds. There is the 4 digit numbers, which start with P and are something like PXXXX, and they have their equivalent "BMW Specific" codes that are 3 digit numbers (like the ones above).

For the 330i (from www.my330i.com/odb2a.php):

Code 118 = Unknown/Unavailable

Code 115 = SAE Code P1623 BMW-Specific Code 115 Description Output Voltage 5V Not Within Limit

Code 112 = SAE Code P0120 BMW-Specific Code 112 Description Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor A Circuit Malfunction

Thnx,
    T.

Those aren't ABS codes. They are engine codes.
    Code 118 is the same as PO120- Engine throttle sensor, potentiometer 1 and 2.
    They are all related to the throttle position sensor and potentiometers 1 and 2.
    The potentiometers and throttle position sensor are all housed in what BMW calls the MDK. Basically it's your throttle body assembly with integrated control unit. VW's have alot of problems with the throttle bodies. Sometimes they get carboned up and can be cleaned. More often than not the assembly needs to be replaced. Then an adaptation has to be performed to basically set the unit to work with your ECM (computer). I'll look it up on Identifix tomorrow and see what some common fixes are for that particular issue.

goodcents is offline "body piercing & body jewelry expert"
    If its a 2000, get a new car, life is too short to dick with stuff Get a honda or toyota and enjoy the cheap payments and piece of mind you get

Found a bulletin pertaining to this particular problem. Basically what it says is there is a possibility that you have a damaged wire harness to the throttle body module. If the wiring checks out fine then you clean the throttle bore and if that doesn't fix it you replace the module and set adaptation.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BMW Codes?-scan0003.jpg   BMW Codes?-scan0004.jpg   BMW Codes?-scan0005.jpg  
    Last edited by jerseyboy; 01-29-2008 at 05:37 PM.

Found a bulletin pertaining to this particular problem. Basically what it says is there is a possibility that you have a damaged wire harness to the throttle body module. If the wiring checks out fine then you clean the throttle bore and if that doesn't fix it you replace the module and set adaptation.
    Hey thanks for the help bro. The only weird thing though is that it also says on there that the engine light comes on. I don't get the engine light. What happens is, I turn the car on, and everything seems fine, and then after driving for a short while, the ABS light comes on, and stays on for about 5 seconds, and then the HAND BRAKE and TRACTION CONTROL lights both come on at the same time, and all three remain on, until I turn the car off/on again.

So it makes me wonder if these are separate codes/separate problems or something maybe?

sounds like a wiring harness and wiring problem

G-1000 is offline Cycle King/AR-Hall of Famer/RETIRED
    Blog Entries
    The track light goes on to shut down the system to protect it from damage. I think they have a bulliten on this. When you turn the car off you reset the code. Then on restart and after 5 min it resets it. Its sounds like you need a new tps. Im not sure if that one is replaceable by its self or if you need a whole new tb. But like stated above you need to do some checks first on the tb.

Key question is was the car ever in an accident?

check the wiring first then if that isn't the problem just replace the tps....

Turn the key on without starting the car. Does the engine light go on? If not you could have a blown bulb. It happens. I would def. check the wiring to the throttle body for obvious damage. I can almost guarantee you that throttle body module is at least 400 bucks. Not to mention labor to install it and set adaptation plus diagnostic time. If the ABS light comes on while driving you probably have a bad wheel speed sensor. The traction light will automatically come on with the ABS light. You have to access the ABS module to get codes for that system. I think you have 2 seperate issues here.
    Last edited by jerseyboy; 01-30-2008 at 05:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gsxxr View Post
    The track light goes on to shut down the system to protect it from damage. I think they have a bulliten on this. When you turn the car off you reset the code. Then on restart and after 5 min it resets it. Its sounds like you need a new tps. Im not sure if that one is replaceable by its self or if you need a whole new tb. But like stated above you need to do some checks first on the tb.

Key question is was the car ever in an accident?
    Hey bro, no, the car has never been in an accident (as far as I know). Sorry, but what is the TPS? Or is that same as "throttle body"?

Turn the key on without starting the car. Does the engine light go on? If not you could have a blown bulb. It happens. I would def. check the wiring to the throttle body for obvious damage. I can almost guarantee you that throttle body module is at least 400 bucks. Not to mention labor to install it and set adaptation plus diagnostic time. If the ABS light comes on while driving you probably have a bad wheel speed sensor. The traction light will automatically come on with the ABS light. You have to access the ABS module to get codes for that system. I think you have 2 seperate issues here.
    Hi, I'm not sure what you mean by two problems. Is this because of the fact that I got those 3 codes (which you say are engine codes), plus the ABS lights? Two mechanics so far have told me that I really don't have a choice but to take it in. I'm thinking it's worth it after all, just pay the 110 bux or whatever it is to get a full diagnotic done and know exactly which codes I have and what the ABS problem is.

Also, no, the engine light does not stay on. When you say bulb, do you mean just any random bulb in the car?

Also, I guess it might be important to note that the engine light USED to come on a while back, and the mechanic did get the code for that, and told me the code was for the camshaft sensor, and he replaced that, and after 1 day of driving, the light turned off, so I'm guessing since the light went out on it's own, the computer fixed the problem or whatever, and it all checks out. But ABS obviously is separate.

I think I will have to take it in after all. I'm hoping it is just an ABS sensor, but the mechanic needs to know which one before he can spend time trying to fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by Terinox View Post
    Hey bro, no, the car has never been in an accident (as far as I know). Sorry, but what is the TPS? Or is that same as "throttle body"?
    TPS is throttle positioning sensor... and i thought you were going thru the trouble to find out what the codes ment so you could do it yourself.... but it's pretty obvious that you aren't mechanicly inclined... lol(not flaming just saying)... so i would suggest taking it in to get fixed... let a professional handle it... btw where are you from???

Quote Originally Posted by J*U*icEd View Post
    TPS is throttle positioning sensor... and i thought you were going thru the trouble to find out what the codes ment so you could do it yourself.... but it's pretty obvious that you aren't mechanicly inclined... lol(not flaming just saying)... so i would suggest taking it in to get fixed... let a professional handle it... btw where are you from???
    Oh well you're right on the money, I really don't know jack shit about cars, LOL. But I have friends who do, and also mechanics who are not dealer mechanics who will do it for cash under the table kind. THOSE mechanics are the ones who just don't know exactly what the problem/codes are, because if they did, they would fix it. I would not let BMW fix it obviously, they would charge hundreds, ridiculous. I might just take it in for diagnostic, then either do it myself (with my friend) if it's easy, or take it to my mechanic buddy.

I'm in the Toronto area.

Blog Entries
    Well at the lest you tried to get as much info as you could. But this one is a little complicated and need some Dia. Your best bet will be to bring it in.

And no just because you have both abs and engine codes dont mean there are more then one problems. It just means both system are working.

Quote Originally Posted by Terinox View Post
    Hi, I'm not sure what you mean by two problems. Is this because of the fact that I got those 3 codes (which you say are engine codes), plus the ABS lights? Two mechanics so far have told me that I really don't have a choice but to take it in. I'm thinking it's worth it after all, just pay the 110 bux or whatever it is to get a full diagnotic done and know exactly which codes I have and what the ABS problem is.

Also, no, the engine light does not stay on. When you say bulb, do you mean just any random bulb in the car?

Also, I guess it might be important to note that the engine light USED to come on a while back, and the mechanic did get the code for that, and told me the code was for the camshaft sensor, and he replaced that, and after 1 day of driving, the light turned off, so I'm guessing since the light went out on it's own, the computer fixed the problem or whatever, and it all checks out. But ABS obviously is separate.

I think I will have to take it in after all. I'm hoping it is just an ABS sensor, but the mechanic needs to know which one before he can spend time trying to fix it.
    2 problems meaning an engine problem and an ABS problem. I was talking about the bulb for the check engine light in the dash. If the bulb is burnt out it won't come on even with these engine codes. Turn the key on and look at the dash. Do you see the check engine light? The ABS light is coming on for an ABS problem. Probably a wheel speed sensor.
    Your TPS (throttle position sensor) is built into the throttle body module. That's why I said you are probably going to need a throttle body

And no just because you have both abs and engine codes dont mean there are more then one problems. It just means both system are working.
    He has multiple codes for the throttle body module and an ABS light that comes on when he's driving. Two different systems, two different control modules, two problems. If the two systems are throwing codes they are for problems with those systems not system status monitors.

Kale is offline ~ Vet~ I like Thai Girls
    Fvck this is like watching a good movie. I have no idea what your turkies are talking about but it sounds interesting

Blog Entries
    He has multiple codes for the throttle body module and an ABS light that comes on when he's driving. Two different systems, two different control modules, two problems. If the two systems are throwing codes they are for problems with those systems not system status monitors.
    On the bmw if you have a tps code it can kick off the abs and set the abs code. It does it as a fale safe to the abs mod. Also if the car has tcs it could set a code for that as well.

That's a new one to me. I don't know why the TPS would affect the ABS system but hey that's BMW. I can see it screwing up how the transmission shifts. I would still have the ABS module scanned to see if it's throwing codes. Most scanners don't even have the software to access it.
    Last edited by jerseyboy; 01-31-2008 at 12:33 PM.

Blog Entries
    That's a new one to me. I don't know why the TPS would affect the ABS system but hey that's BMW. I can see it screwing up how the transmission shifts. I would still have the ABS module scanned to see if it's throwing codes. Most scanners don't even have the software to access it.
    If the tps sees a problem it can trip the abs and vsc. it does this so under uncontroled load it will not break any thing in the drive train. Then on cars with fly by wire it will go into fale safe mode. this is like a limp mode for the engine so it wont let the run past x rpm and will reduce engine power to like 25%.

2 problems meaning an engine problem and an ABS problem. I was talking about the bulb for the check engine light in the dash. If the bulb is burnt out it won't come on even with these engine codes. Turn the key on and look at the dash. Do you see the check engine light? The ABS light is coming on for an ABS problem. Probably a wheel speed sensor.
    Your TPS (throttle position sensor) is built into the throttle body module. That's why I said you are probably going to need a throttle body
    Oh, that bulb. Yes, the engine light works fine (it was on before for the camshaft sensor, and once that was replaced, it turned off). So I know the engine check light does work. I'm guessing it's just an ABS problem I'm having now, since the engine light has not come on since then.

I will call BMW and take it in next week. Thanks for all the help/input guys, really appreciate it

If the tps sees a problem it can trip the abs and vsc. it does this so under uncontroled load it will not break any thing in the drive train. Then on cars with fly by wire it will go into fale safe mode. this is like a limp mode for the engine so it wont let the run past x rpm and will reduce engine power to like 25%.
    i do know that if there is a speed sensor or a tps sensor tripping codes it will limit rpms.. and will reduce engine power by atleast 25 percent, the thing is what ive seen it that the limited rpms and engine power is just a by product of the tps or speed sensor throwing codes... i have yet to see it trip abs and traction control system codes, but hey BMW really isn't my strong suit, and it could be very possible... my strong suit is toyota, and most american made cars... as well as suberu, which is known for tps and throttle body problems... but good info gsxxr...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by J*U*icEd View Post
    i do know that if there is a speed sensor or a tps sensor tripping codes it will limit rpms.. and will reduce engine power by atleast 25 percent, the thing is what ive seen it that the limited rpms and engine power is just a by product of the tps or speed sensor throwing codes... i have yet to see it trip abs and traction control system codes, but hey BMW really isn't my strong suit, and it could be very possible... my strong suit is toyota, and most american made cars... as well as suberu, which is known for tps and throttle body problems... but good info gsxxr...
    OK you know how the Toyota Sequoia will throw a code for the evap system. like when the gas cap is loss or a bad canister. The also trip the ads and trc lights as well.

The diffrices is with car with fly by wire have the limp mode. They do this in case the tb ever get stuck open. So the car will not be out of in the early 90' control at W,O,T. The limp mode also will kick in if the MAF sensor sees to much air flow vs tp same goes with the map sensor calculations.

This is why in the after market field its getting harder and harder to add turbos and superchargers to cars. You need to reprogram the ecu's settings to compensate for the difference air flow and engine vacuums (map sensor)

The BMW was a head of there game with the technology 90's

The throttle body in this TSB looks like it's still got a cable setup like the VW's. TPS and idle speed motor built into the TB but still cable actuated.

Hey guys, I took the car to the dealer. They charged me over 100 bux, just to tell me I need to spend a shyte load more

They are saying it's the DSC Control Unit, it's a module that costs over 1700 just for the part. They want to charge me over 2200 to install it and reprogram it. I honestly can't afford that, so I will probably just leave the problem unfixed for now.

Anyone know where I can get this part used or much cheaper? I am already starting to search scrap yards, but chances don't look that good, it's an expensive part.

Thnx for all the help so far guys.
    T.

http://www.bmrparts.com/

These guys are great. I've dealt with them a couple times and they are very knowledgable too.

http://www.bmrparts.com/

These guys are great. I've dealt with them a couple times and they are very knowledgable too.
    Wow, great website, thanks a ton dude. I will give them a call ASAP! You might just be a life saver

Get all the info. you can from them. They can probably tell you where it is in the car and how to install it.

Thread Information