Thread: Gym Fallacies

m16a2 is offline Senior Member

Gym Fallacies

These are some of the gym fallacies that get under my skin

1. Working out everyday is the best (or only) way to "really" train.

2. Benching when the bar doesn't come half-way to their chest (the theory that they are cool for putting more iron on the bar, even if they don't actually do the excercise)

3. If you don't do cardio on your training days, then your weak.

4. Taking your cell phone to the gym is "cool" and a way to 'floss'

5. You need to wear gloves on the leg excercise machines

6. Sitting on the machines or hogging the iron in between sets or excercises is going to help you in some way.

7. When someone doing their set its OK to talk to them.

8. Walking around butt ass naked in the locker room is ok.

9. The louder you scream during your set, the better workout you'll get.

10. Assuming that someone you don't know needs a spot!!!

what did I leave out?

BigMike J is offline Anabolic Member
    you pretty much hit the nail on the head

Vice is offline Associate Member
    nothing wrong with yelling

MBaraso is offline Retired Mod
    nothing wrong with yelling
    Yeah maybe alittle grunt here and there but I have guys in my gym that are probably horse by the end of their workouts...and that gets annoying.

Originally posted by MBaraso

Yeah maybe alittle grunt here and there but I have guys in my gym that are probably horse by the end of their workouts...and that gets annoying.
    Yeah, I was referring to these unique individuals. They lift a decent amount of weight, nothing special, but they are BIG guys usually in wife beats or jersey's trying to show off or something. You know that they are blowing the yells way out of proportion because they do 10 reps of it yelling the same amount everytime. For me, by the last one or two, I'm pushing myself to the limit, so I grunt subconsciously, but not every single rep.

Don't analyze whatever other people are doing, your there for yourself, wear a walkmen if it distracts you that much.

MBaraso is offline Retired Mod
    Vice I don't analyze what other ppl do but when someone is yelling every rep like their getting ass raped it's gets annoying

Originally posted by Vice
    Don't analyze whatever other people are doing, your there for yourself, wear a walkmen if it distracts you that much.
    Your one of those people who yells huh? j/k but wearing a walkman won't make the machines vacant while the dumbass's are talking on their cell phones.

people ought to practice a little more gym etiquette imho. I honestly don't see why I should go out of my way to avoid being distracted by some oaf who wants to scream with the intention of being loud.

I pretty much agree on every other one besides the yelling, I personally yell or grunt unconsciously but i don't care if some other jackass is trying to look/sound big by yelling, It doesnt phase me, but the talking around the machines pisses me off....I was waiting for ever to do some crossovers and these too chicks were just sitting there talking, i walked by em and said you guys almost done? they say no, then i say well then fucking use the weights are use another machine because i want this one. lol, they went and told the manager, lol...

manijak is offline Associate Member
    Vice I think rampage is talking about different type of grunting...see there are two kinds...
    1: There is the "grunt for yourself"
    2: And there is the "Grunt for a guy on the parking lot across the street"
    I think rampage is talking about the second kind ......

I would add just one more thing to your list, Rampage
    This goes for all the people with glande problems "If you know it Please bring a towel" and if you don't know it you have an excuse for the first time but THAT'S IT
    There are few things as disguisting as when you go to lay down on the Ham-curl and almost land your face in a puddle of someone's Swet just makes me gag....
    Also people that leave weights on the bars ....I mean it's okay to leave 15 or 25's But it pisses me off when they walk off leaving 1000 lbs on the leg press or 500 on the squat or bench press....

manijak, how in the hell did I forget that one! I hate it when your waiting for a machine, and you finally get it, and its covered in sweat!!!!!!!!!!!! It has to be one of the most disgusting things. Like, your thinking should I, a.) wipe it with my towel, b.) ignore it and just sit down and not say anything, or c.) grab the guy by his neck and tell him to lick it up

The weights on the bar are definitely a problem as well. I've found that for leg press, the machines are just as effective as the free press. But when someone finishes with the bench, and there are 2 45's and 2 25's and 4 10's on each side and you have to take them down, that's just bullshit. Usually if you stare them down in the right way, they'll know not to even try to pull that shit.

Full Intensity is offline Anabolic Member
    Yup, I'd have to agree with all of those! and dammit i hate all you "YELLERS" out there jk..

Ocnorb36 is offline Junior Member
    Let me put an asterisk at the bottom of your list. * This is what you get when you sign up for a public gym. When I was younger I could not afford the home gym and I too had to deal with the non-believers---you know those people in the gym there to impress and not to press. Hated it. My biggest complaint are those that talk. I know it is a tough one but when I am lifting, even with a partner, very little conversation occurs. I don't want to chat, I want to beat gravity, period. The only talk I can deal with are words of encouragement to complete a set. I now have a pretty decent garage gym where I can blare my tunes, yell if I want, spit on the wall when I am pissed, or whatever the fu** I choose. That is the core difference: at the public gym you cannot choose the members but in my gym I can.

But since you brought up the topic add those that stare, not to admire but to challange........makes me want to destroy something.

Oc

tt333 is offline Senior Member
    Heres another one, People look at you weird when your sweating. I hate #2, I see guys doing this shit all the time. They will barely lift it 2 inches and then walk around like there all bad.

Originally posted by tt333
    Heres another one, People look at you weird when your sweating. I hate #2, I see guys doing this shit all the time. They will barely lift it 2 inches and then walk around like there all bad.
    Hey bro, its hard to admit, but my workout bud does that shit. I tell him to fucking drop that shit lower, at least a foot, but he lowers it like 5-6 inches and back up. He does alot of weight, but he's only displacing it a few inches rather than to his chest, or a few inches over his chest.

Its not just my bud though, there are alot of people who do 1/4 the excercise with 40% too much weight.

clockworks is offline Anabolic Member

Re: Gym Fallacies

Originally posted by rampage76
    These are some of the gym fallacies that get under my skin

1. Working out everyday is the best (or only) way to "really" train.

2. Benching when the bar doesn't come half-way to their chest (the theory that they are cool for putting more iron on the bar, even if they don't actually do the excercise)

3. If you don't do cardio on your training days, then your weak.

4. Taking your cell phone to the gym is "cool" and a way to 'floss'

5. You need to wear gloves on the leg excercise machines

6. Sitting on the machines or hogging the iron in between sets or excercises is going to help you in some way.

7. When someone doing their set its OK to talk to them.

8. Walking around butt ass naked in the locker room is ok.

9. The louder you scream during your set, the better workout you'll get.

10. Assuming that someone you don't know needs a spot!!!

what did I leave out?
    i hate these kind of threads. who died and made you gym god? =)

in response to...

5) i wear my gloves everytime i go to gym, no matter what exercise i do. why? because i think they look cool! i don't sit there and consciencely think..."oh, this exercise doesn't require gloves, let me take them off for this exercise and put them back on when i'm done". and btw, if people wearing gloves on the leg machines urks you, you need to stop staring at other people and getting all up in their business when you're working out...=)

6) i sit on empty machines between sets. why the hell not? if no one is using them, i'm gunna use them...to rest on. if you need to use it, politely ask me to move and i will.

7) my friends talk to me all the time when i'm doing heavy sets...i just don't answer them...i don't blow a fucking gasket over it because i'm not a high strung asshole...=)

8) yeah its gross as hell...gotta admit. but its his right and i can't do nothing about it except complain on the internet about it... so yeah, it is gross as hell...ugh, some of em are all nasty and hairy...makes me wanna puke!

9) i think the guys who scream loud as hell are funny. i personally hate any kind of loud noise. i'm a pretty quiet guy. when someone is screaming like he's dying, i just hope everyone is giggling to themselves as i am...=)

so to conclude, i hope i didn't offend you at all. i share some of the same dislikes you do, but on the other hand, sometimes i think its silly to post what urks you at the gym because more than likely, a lot of people you are posting to actually DO some of those things you dislike...like me...=)

-clocky baby

Re: Re: Gym Fallacies

Hey bro, no one judges anyone else here. I posted some of my quirks about the gym. They don't have to be universally held, I'm not asking my quirks to be published or anything. It seems alot of people share the same beliefs. However, I think your response was just made to be argumentative...

6.) was refering to when people are waiting for machines, your just sit there in between reps instead of allowing the other people to get their set in between. machine hogs -- this was obvious.. if no one is waiting, then obviously you don't need to get up if you don't feel like it

7.) I was talking about random people talking to you while your donig your set. Asking dumb questions or what not. But I guess it also applies to when your friends crack a funny joke, and you loose concentration.

8.) this post is about quirks, not a proposal to make any changes

9.) see 8

In conclusion, its not a perfect world, and we have every right to complain about the things we don't like, unless your a communist that is.

Originally posted by clockworks

i hate these kind of threads. who died and made you gym god? =)

in response to...

5) i wear my gloves everytime i go to gym, no matter what exercise i do. why? because i think they look cool! i don't sit there and consciencely think..."oh, this exercise doesn't require gloves, let me take them off for this exercise and put them back on when i'm done". and btw, if people wearing gloves on the leg machines urks you, you need to stop staring at other people and getting all up in their business when you're working out...=)

6) i sit on empty machines between sets. why the hell not? if no one is using them, i'm gunna use them...to rest on. if you need to use it, politely ask me to move and i will.

7) my friends talk to me all the time when i'm doing heavy sets...i just don't answer them...i don't blow a fucking gasket over it because i'm not a high strung asshole...=)

8) yeah its gross as hell...gotta admit. but its his right and i can't do nothing about it except complain on the internet about it... so yeah, it is gross as hell...ugh, some of em are all nasty and hairy...makes me wanna puke!

9) i think the guys who scream loud as hell are funny. i personally hate any kind of loud noise. i'm a pretty quiet guy. when someone is screaming like he's dying, i just hope everyone is giggling to themselves as i am...=)

so to conclude, i hope i didn't offend you at all. i share some of the same dislikes you do, but on the other hand, sometimes i think its silly to post what urks you at the gym because more than likely, a lot of people you are posting to actually DO some of those things you dislike...like me...=)

-clocky baby

clockworks is offline Anabolic Member

Re: Re: Re: Gym Fallacies

Originally posted by rampage76
    However, I think your response was just made to be argumentative...
    na na, i didn't wanna start an argument. just feeling a little defensive since i do some of those things on people's "stuff i don't like at the gym" lists. thats all...

-clocky baby

brad fuel is offline Junior Member
    i agree with clocky on #6. If you don't sit there to rest someone not as generous as me will take it. If they wanna use it they can ask to work in with me. This happens often to me: I get up to go get a drink of water, when i come back i see some else doing a set on the machine, that's fine no big deal. But they don't get up and now I have to as HIM if I can work in with him? wtf?

Thread Information