Terinox is offline The One & Only

Body Building and Contact Lenses

Hay ya'll,

I got fitted for contact lenses and all that stuff, it's been ordered and I will be getting them in early this week. I have never used contact lenses before, and quite frankly, I have to admit, it's kinda freaky for me, putting something into my eye. When I was at the optomitrist, he put in contact lenses into my eyes, and well, he did them for me (instead of doing it myself, it was for testing), anywho, I felt really freaked out and could barely keep my eyes open (i was sweating and shaking!!!). My sister who has had contacts said that's normal for the first time, you get used to it and all, anywho, here is my question:

How many of you wear contacts and how many of you wear them WHILE working out? I'm worried that during my workouts they might pop out, cause sometimes you strain yourself, and your eyes, squinting and the whole deal, you know what I mean. Should I take OFF my contacts while I workout? Working out is the only real major athletic thing I do, so it's the only part of my day (5 days a week) that I worry about.

This is something new for me, contacts that is, so i'm kinda "iffy" about the whole deal.

Thnx a lot,
    T.

samoth is offline Member
    Leave 'em in; nothing to worry about bro. And you'll get used to touching your eyes in time

King Samson is offline Associate Member
    I never had a problem even in BJJ class. They are pretty well stuck to your eyes.

samoth is offline Member
    Actually, now that I think of it, I have never had a contact 'pop' out for the six years I've been wearing them... nor known anyone else who this has happened to... maybe it's just one of those 'myths'

jleighty17 is offline Associate Member
    its harder for the soft ones to pop out but i have had friends just be walking around and a hard one come out whenever they get to dry they can come out.
    JLI

Thnx for the replies, I'm pretty sure I'll be getting the Acuvue two lenses, and it's the ones you change every two weeks. Unfortunetly I have stigmatisim in BOTH my eyes, and as a result, I have to get contacts that are compatible with this disease (or whatever the hell it is i've got). I was going to buy the 30 day & night contacts, those sounded great, you put them on and leave them on for 30 days, and you can sleep with them!!! Or at least get the daily disposoable ones, so I wouldn't have to worry about taking care of them, but like I said, the stigmatisim kinda fucked things up for me

freakout is offline Associate Member
    In my opinion, the harder part of the process is taking care of your lenses and remember that it is advisable to remove your contact lenses before you sleep no matter whether the lenses have been designed to accompany you when you sleep as it is the chemical decomposition that would matter.

Do not worry about putting them on. If you are not secure enough, try rinsing your eyes 5 to 10 mins before putting them on.

Take care!

MeatHead03 is offline Associate Member
    keep them in, i have had them fall out only once. And that was when i got a huge hit in football and i got a concussion, but other then that i was fine!

Outshined is offline Junior Member
    I've been using those Acuvue disposable lenses for 5 years now.
    No worries, keep them in when you lift. I have never had a problem with my contacts in the gym. Just try to keep an extra pair at the places you spend the most time(gym, work, car, strip clubs, etc......) Just in case.

tatty is offline Member
    I, too, use Acuvues, and contact lenses are the best thing invented for people with vision problems, other than laser eye surgery .

Only a few times I've lost contact lenses and they include a physical altercation at a club, and when I went swimming and my goggles fell off. Besides that, and I don't mean to scare you, if you feel your contact rising try to take it out before it goes behind your eyelid because you'll have a bitch of a time taking that badboy out. Other than that, you'll be used to them after the first few days.

tigress is offline Retired Female Moderator
    Only ever lost them while swimming and waterskiing. I have done numerous sports while wearing them, including lifting, contact karate, and kickboxing, scuba diving.

Never sleep with them in, and it helps to put some eye drops in a few minutes before you take them out. Don't use visine or regular eye drops, get the kinds designed for lens wearers. You will love them after a while.
    One today is worth two tomorrows.

Carlos_E is offline National Level Bodybuilder/Hall of Famer/RETIRED
    I wear contacts. I like wearing them to workout. It's better than sweating all over your glasses.
    Muscle Asylum Project Athlete

Originally posted by Carlos_E
    I wear contacts. I like wearing them to workout. It's better than sweating all over your glasses.
    LOL, good point dude,

thnx for all the replies guys, it's helpful and makes me feel better

Aragorn is offline Senior Member
    You'll have no problem bro...just don't go swimming and open your eyes under water...you're likely to lose them. Talking from experience on this one

Aragorn

One more thing, my sister told me water should NEVER come into contact with the contact lenses, why is this exactly?

shorty2big is offline Member
    leave 'em in. you will be fine. I hate training with glasses on. You won't even notice the contacts after a while. I have been wearing those damn things since 4th grade!!!!

little_indian is offline New Member
    I prefer to wear glasses to the gym.Somehow while wearing contacts my concentration and training intensity seem to be lower.

Thread Information