Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer

Question Mary Jane in Vegas?

Is personal amounts of Marijuana going to be legalized in Vegas? I caught wind of this about a month ago but have heard very little since. It was sounding like it was...

I don't like the effects personally - makes me too lazy. But nonetheless, where is it proposed to sell it? Rite Aid?

No one heard about this eh? It's real braddahs... I'll find out some more later...

skinnyhb is offline Member
    look in this week's Time magazine. it has a good sized section on legalizing marijuana. i haven't read it yet though, so im not sure all that it contains.

Looks like it will be decided next month! From the Las Vegas Review:

CARSON CITY -- Nevadans are divided on whether they would vote for a constitutional amendment to legalize possession of 3 ounces or less of marijuana, a new statewide poll shows.

The survey found 44 percent of respondents back the initiative to legalize marijuana that will be on November statewide election ballots. Forty-six percent oppose the idea, and the other 10 percent are undecided.

Mason-Dixon Polling & Research Inc., which conducted the survey for the Review-Journal and reviewjournal.com, also asked Nevadans their views on two other state issues: the Protection of Marriage initiative and on whether the current ban on a state income tax should be repealed.

Fifty-five percent of the 625 registered voters polled support recognition of marriage only if it is between a male and female; 38 percent oppose the proposal, and 7 percent are undecided. The initiative, Question 2, was approved by nearly 70 percent of voters two years ago and would become part of the state constitution if approved again in November.

The poll also found Nevadans overwhelmingly oppose any move to lift the 12-year-old constitutional ban on a state income tax. The survey found 68 percent of voters support continuing the ban, while 19 percent would lift the prohibition. Thirteen percent were undecided.

The survey has a margin of error of no more than plus or minus 4 percentage points.

The results on the marijuana question are good news for those who support legal pot, said Billy Rogers, a spokesman for Nevadans for Responsible Law Enforcement. His organization secured enough signatures to put the question on the ballot.

"We know most people in Nevada don't think we should arrest people for small amounts of marijuana," Rogers said.

The poll only asked people if they favored amending the state constitution to make possession of 3 ounces or less of marijuana "not a cause for arrest." Rogers said the proposal actually does much more.

The plan still makes possession by minors a crime and prohibits the use of marijuana in public and by drivers.

In addition, it calls for the state to provide low-cost marijuana to people who have permission to use the drug for medical reasons. About 190 Nevadans are permitted under the state's current medical marijuana law to grow pot to treat their illnesses.

"Our initiative certainly does not legalize use for people who use marijuana irresponsibly," Rogers said.

But Brad Coker, managing director of the Washington, D.C.-based polling firm, predicted support for legal marijuana will decline in coming months, and the proposition will lose in November. The plan needs approval this year and again in 2004 to amend the state constitution.

"Undecided voters tend to break no," Coker said.

"Some people see this as a novel idea, but I predict support will drop."

Coker expects law enforcement groups will mount a campaign that will be hard for Rogers' organization to overcome.

He added the legal marijuana question is far different than the medical marijuana one approved by 65 percent of voters two years ago.

"Medical marijuana was a defensible issue," he said.

"It was letting sick people treat themselves to alleviate pain and suffering."

Richard Ziser, the leader of the Coalition for the Protection of Marriage, was pleased with the poll showing 55 percent of Nevadans oppose recognizing gay marriages, even though that percentage is down from two years ago.

"The awareness factor is way down," Ziser said.

"People don't realize it has to be on the ballot again. It is just a matter of getting the message out."

He expects with a fall drive to publicize the campaign, backing for the initiative will be around 70 percent again.

Ziser said passage is important because of a recent Georgia Supreme Court decision. The court ruled Georgia would not recognize the marriage of a gay couple who moved there after marrying in Vermont under that state's civil marriage law. Georgia has a law similar to the one that Ziser's group wants Nevada voters to adopt.

Without the constitutional amendment, Ziser maintained, Nevada would have to honor civil union marriages from Vermont, the only state that allows gay marriages.

But Gary Peck, executive director of the American Civil Liberties Union of Nevada, said the proposal is divisive and unnecessary because Nevada already has a law allowing only marriages between men and women.

"We should figure out ways to foster a sense of community," he said.

"This proposition is clearly designed to marginalize a group of people, make it plain they are second-class citizens."

Though most people who support the proposition are not homophobic, Peck said, that can't be said about some of the initiative's leaders.

He is encouraged that support for the question has dropped.

Nevada Taxpayers Association President Carole Vilardo was not surprised the poll found 68 percent of voters oppose lifting the prohibition on a state income tax.

Lifting the ban has been mentioned during hearings of the Governor's Task Force on Tax Policy, but Vilardo does not believe it will be considered seriously.

"You would have to do an awful lot of explanation to convince people (to support income taxes)," Vilardo said.

"They would want to know what benefit they would get in return."

Once again I am not a big toker but this could be a good thing... as far as I am conserned, it is much safer than alcohol use and it could be very beneficial to the economy - I wonder how much it would sell for?

In the words of a cop that once busted my friends and I in High School for our lunch break session, "I am just going to write you guys passes back to school. People have been regularly smoking this shit for over 30 years and no one has died of it yet. You would be worse off it I took you out of class."

seniormateus is offline Associate Member
    Keep me posted. Mary Jane is my girl!

lol

Babyweight is offline Female Member
    I knew my guy was not loyal to me because of her..

seniormateus is offline Associate Member
    Yeah, Mary Jane gets around. My parent just recently got divorced after 26 years and I gave my dad just what the doctor should legally be able to prescribe for him instead of his paxil. Now the guy buys a qp at a time of kind bud, serious dinero. Too bad insurance dosn't cover that. Okay, that will be 8 dollars co pay for that ounce of FDA government approved herb. HA!

sicilian40 is offline Banned
    LEGALIZE IT !!!!!!

Big Rush is offline The Juice Man
    The war on Drugs is a joke...Marijauna should be legalized...

Thread Information