Shredz is offline Respected Member

What makes kids so bad these days??

Jarret's post about the kid with the eggs (by the way I loved it) anyways got me thinking. What makes these kids so bad these days. I remember when I was young I would never tell off someone that is older or show anysort of disrespect. Because if my father ever got wind of it he would kick my ass and I was also afraid of the person that I am telling off kicking my ass.

What has happened to our youth. These kids are mouthy, and have cocky attitudes, it just drives me nuts.

Now I am not a parent myself so I can only speculate, but do you think that it has to do with the parenting. Meaning either they don't care about their kids or that these children usually come from broken homes or if not both parents are working full-time and don't spend as much time with their kids like they used too. Do you think it has to do with their environment?

I myself had both parents working full-time thoughout my entire childhood and I dont remember having an attitude and pulling the shit that these kids do today. Now don't get me wrong I wasn't by far a little angel..I got in fights, stired up my troubles too but nothing like the kids of today.

What is your take on this? I would like to hear from all of you. Weither you have children or not married, single or divorced...I just wanted to see what other peoples thoughts are on this. Because if things keep going the way they are this may get way out of hand.

Full Intensity is offline Anabolic Member
    I think about that question all the time. I was born near Jane and Finch and lived there for a while. It is a ghetto at night. I have also worked and spent time in a lot of Metro Housing Areas (government housing) and it is even worse. Point being is i know how to handle myself in these areas and i know what a real thug is. But now i live in Vaughan, a mid and upper class area where ripped jeans is an extreme (or bad ass if you want) But there is a trend in my area, all the kids 17 and under dress like they are thugs. They walk like they are the shit and talk back to everyone. They're arms measure 12" at most, but they think they rule the world. WTF! I could bet my savings that if i brought anyone of these kids into the real world they'd pull their pants up and point their hats forward thats for sure. Cause in the places i mentioned you'll get you ass kicked (or killed in the worse case) for wearing the wrong colors or giving someone a bad look. And thats all these little fucking kids do! it drives me nuts i want to beat all of them just to teach them a lesson. If only they knew what the real world is like, they only think they do

samoth is offline Member
    I would put rec drugs as #1 for teens. I know we have lots of 'pro-pot' people around here, but I have seen it do nothing but bad things for people.
    Uncaring parents as #2, but I have class in 15 minutes, and that is not enought time to rant about this issue

FI I know the area you grew up in very well. Bad as part of town. A lot of shit goes on down there, actually that is all they have been talking about on the news lately because of this profiling. But that is exaclty what they need. A look at real gansters. These kids are just little punks and as Diesel said who are in desparate need of a swift kick in the ass.

I rememeber way back when I tryed to pull the line on my old man "you touch me and I will call the cops" Boy did he ever lay it to me. I respect the man because he made me the good person I am today. And when I got a smack I needed one.

MindBomb is offline Member
    I personally blame a big part to media. The glorification of "thug life" by entertainers has alot to do with our youths. It's very hip to break the law and "gang bang". The suburban kids has nothing to model themselves in such a way other than their rap music and their idles. The lives our children lives are of those who were brought up in the ghetto. You'll find no respect in these music. It's all about ME and NOW. And parents are loosing control.

I have a boy and a girl and, although I respect you alot Diesel, I have to say reasoning works. I try to develop their conscience through reasoning, so in the future they will make the right decisions, faced with adversity. Instead of physical punishment, I try to let them know what they did wrong and how they can fix it.

No matter how hard you try to parent correctly, if there are mountains of information going the other way, it's a battle many parents have given up.

Originally posted by MindBomb
    it's a battle many parents have given up.
    I think that this is what it comes down to most..parents have given up and there is no turning back after the kids lose control.

My fucking sister tells my parents that if they hit her she'll call the cops! Everytime i hear that i want to hit her. Little does her uneducated mind realize that if she calls the cops she'll be put in a foster home and given to another family. And then when its too late she'll realize what she has done and how good she had it. My dad would slap the shit out of me if i even thought about that. They have no respect, none. They just want to live the life and expect everything to be done for them. And they always think they're right! WTF aaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh! this topic is killing me, you don't understand how nervous i am right now just thinking about this FUCK!

So FI didn't mean to get you all up in arms. But I am totally with you. Even my younger sister (17) man the attitude on her, and it is just more then the age thing. It is absolutely rediculous. I can't count on home many times I have wanted to drive her. But hey I just take a step back now and say to myself I have way to much to lose here and 2 she isn't my kid. But if she was man would she get it.

Totenkopf is offline Associate Member
    We cannot blame how a child acts on thier enviorment. We are products of our own Mind. We choose what we want to be and what we want to do(at least in free world countries). Now some of you are goining to say bull shit. It is true that our surroundings have some infulence but in no way shape or form control our destiny. I grew up without a father my parents were devorced when i was 6. My father lived one town away and never bothered with us. My Mother wasnt around much she had 2 jobs just to feed us(i know sob story). i was a little bastard in school didnt listen to my teachers i got into fights alot ect etc. Now one day out of nowhere i decided this isnt how i want to be hating everyone and everything. I decided i needed to change myself and that happened around 10th grade i stopped my bullshit(not cold turkey). i joined the Army when i was 17. The absoulute best thing i have ever done formyself i might add. i found myself at barely 18 yrs old in one of the most elite units in the world(btw im not tuting my own horn) and not 3 yrs later i was surrounded by an entire city trying to kill us. Anyhow back on track my point is that i made these choices me myself and i.
    Your parents and sourroundings have an influence but ultimately its up to you and you alone to choose what you want to do with yourself.
    I made the choice to be a good father unlike my own. I could have gone down the road to ruin and thats the easy route. Parents can only do so much and hope that we teach our children how to make the right choices but in the end its entirely up to them.
    Ok thats alot of typing .

i still think a postive influence and constant support can help to steer kids in the right direction. To me my parents were my influence and always, gave me their support no matter how bad i fucked up. And maybe that is why i respect them soo much to this day. But my sister (14 just hit puberty! ) looks at them as old and by the book. She thinks they have nothing good to say so she never listens and never shows them any respect. I don't know what it is, but i still think that my dad should have given her a couple of slaps when she deserves it. By doing that she'd know not to talk back ever again or get out of line.

Originally posted by Full Intensity
    i still think a postive influence and constant support can help to steer kids in the right direction. To me my parents were my influence and always, gave me their support no matter how bad i fucked up. And maybe that is why i respect them soo much to this day. But my sister (14 just hit puberty! ) looks at them as old and by the book. She thinks they have nothing good to say so she never listens and never shows them any respect. I don't know what it is, but i still think that my dad should have given her a couple of slaps when she deserves it. By doing that she'd know not to talk back ever again or get out of line.
    You find that you father is different with you sister as he was with you..because that is what I am going through...I have said to my father many times. If I was to do the stuff my sister is doing now back in the day he would have killed me.

I just don't think he has the time, patience or energy like he used too. Sorry to say bro but you think 14 is bad wait tills she gets to 17...I hope she grows out of this soon.

Originally posted by Shredz

Sorry to say bro but you think 14 is bad wait tills she gets to 17...I hope she grows out of this soon.

Shredz man you and i both! i say the exact same thing every other day. That if i were to do that the shit would hit the fan. But with her they let everything slide. Take this for example. Since grade 4 (yes i can remember that far) i have done work around the house. Now i don't think women should do all the work around the house but fuck they should do some. My sister does none, still to this day. In the summer my bro (1 year younger) and I mow the lawn, do the edges, take out the weeds, rake etc.. We both helped my dad finished the basement every night after school. When ever there is a project going on we help. Sister doesn't. My brother also vacuumes all the floors in the house (3 floors) and i wash all 3 floors. My brother clears the table every night after dinner, i load the dishwasher and he unloads it. We also have to keep our rooms clean. Did you notice my sister isn't involved in any of this! and then she has the nerve to complain that she does all the work if my parents ask her to do something! fuCK FUCK FUCK! And her room, my parents ask her to clean it every day and they're lucky if she does it once a month. She doesn't even pull her drawers out to look for clothes, she takes the whole fucking thing out and puts it on the floor. RIght now there is about 4 dresser drawers on the floor and two weeks worth of laundry! WTF not even in my wildest dreams would i think of doing something like that. and shit it better not get any worse cause it is driving me nuts!

and when i ask my parents why they are not taking charge they say they don't have the energy any more!
    Last edited by Full Intensity; 11-01-2002 at 02:09 PM.

seniormateus is offline Associate Member
    MindBomb hit the nail on the head. Kids try to emulate what they think is cool. Props to all the parents who are role models and teach their children respect. Props to all the people who check other peoples kids when they are disrespectful. All these suburban kids are brainwashed by MTV and rap to the point that they have lost their own identity. I like alot of hip hop music but some of this shit is fourth grade jibberish. I liked Tupac as an artist but look at all these sorry ass wanna be clones that put their weak minded shit on insecure children. Eminem is a brilliant lyracist but he is more juvenile than most kids. Think about the message he sends and how it programs impressionable youths. Society is fucked up as a whole and it really reminds me of the fall of Rome. I grew up near the ghetto and it isn't like a music video. These posers think to disrespect authority is to honor their thug life. Ball till you fall is what I hear around here in south Texas. Well if they want to fall then step up to my plate and they'll get dropped with a broken jaw. I'm a really nice and compassionate guy but I'm sick of this fraud shit!

FI I feel your pain brother. To add to all of that when my sister does do something around this place....she demands money for it. Got to love that one eh???

It makes me sick!

Are you sure our sisters are related?

maybe they are releated, then i could blame it on your side of the family LOL! but if you want i could loan you my sister for a whie (a year or so) and we'll make a trade. You take my sister and i'll give you 6000mg of test! how bout it

Originally posted by Full Intensity
    maybe they are releated, then i could blame it on your side of the family LOL! but if you want i could loan you my sister for a whie (a year or so) and we'll make a trade. You take my sister and i'll give you 6000mg of test! how bout it
    this is one time where any amout of test just isn't worth it...LOL

thanks for offering though but you can take that idea and shove it

this is one time where any amout of test just isn't worth it...LOL

thanks for offering though but you can take that idea and shove it
    BASTARD! i thought i'd had you there for a moment. If only you'd said YES.......

Yung Wun is offline Member
    i think its the media
    i see alot of yunger guyz than me tryin to emulate whats on these music and movies they seeing today. well thats juss in my area i hate goin shopping for anything in the mall when i get there you have all these lil shyt headz runnin around walkin like they superman
    i know sum manz living in sum high classed neighbourhoods but gwan like they from the ghetto, bottom line i think its the media

Farmer is offline Member

Re: What makes kids so bad these days??

I would never tell off someone that is older or show anysort of disrespect. Because if my father ever got wind of it he would kick my ass
    You summed it up their bro, parents let their kids do whatever they want. There is no discipline in kids anymore, if their parents don't tell them what to do then who is? Out of all my friends the ones that have a strong relationship between their parents and their parents disciplined them as they grew up, they turned out the best and are headed down the right track. Personally I don't think drugs are the problem or anything else like that is. I know a ton of people who get drunk on the weekends and smoke weed ocassionally and do the "recreational" drugs that everyone blames these bad kids for. And of those kids, the ones that have discipline coming from their parents have turned out as well as any parent would want their child. A few have full academic scholarships to big universitys and the others are in college.

In my opinon, parents are the #1 reason for children being out of control these days. Take a look around your neighborhood one day and find the children who are causing all the trouble, and then see where they come from. If you have the chance even talk to their parents, you'll find out the only diffrence between the parents and their children is the age, the attitudes are the same.

My 2 cents ya'll

peace

palme is offline Rosie Member
    I doubt it has anything to do with the parents. The whole world has become a harder place to live in and people has stopped respecting other people. As i see it this is just to beginning.

sunshine69 is offline Female Member
    damn the both of you Shredz & Full intinsity, you guys crack me up..... well in my house, i got blamed for everything that went bad/wrong. i have an 2 older sisters. i always had to do everything around the house and he always got the short end of the stick. i got to clean the house and he got rewarded. i guess things are different in todays times!!!! i wasnt even allowed to go out after i had done my chores. Greeniz
    Last edited by sunshine69; 05-14-2008 at 09:02 PM.

manijak is offline Associate Member
    it's all because of Marylin Manson and video games..and them marigiuana cigarettes......

abstrack is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    i tell you what i think , it is these parents who use the tv to entertain their children , instead of spending time with them showing them good old fashion respect and values. what the hell is this time out shit??
    you kid does some shit and you give them a time out?? wtf. now my mother never hit any of us kids in the face but if we got out of line or we started acting like some ungratefull little brats who have no respect for adults or authority then we got a good crack on the ass.
    who came up with this time out shit????
    abstrack@protonmail.com

Originally posted by manijak
    it's all because of Marylin Manson and video games..and them marigiuana cigarettes......
    well i agree with you on marilyn manson he/she is a freak! pot and video games, well it depends on the parents if they let it go that far!

FireFighter is offline Associate Member
    Man I can't stand when people blame it on broken homes and shit. I came from a broken home when I was younger. It was only me, my two sisters, and my mother. My dad hit drugs really hard and me even worse. We all got outta there and by that experience I should have grown up a gang member. Im not saying I was an angel, but I never started any trouble or anything. I did get into fights, but hey Im a boy!!! My point is that using the fact that your childhood wasn't the greatest can only bring you so far. Fuckin grow up and become civilized people.

-FF

Iron horse is offline Anabolic Member
    Im a young guy, and I've also thought of this!

I think certain things, like video games (little bit), being over spoiled, fake love, and not enough parental time lead to a very cocky attitude and a sense of over confidence. Instead of learning from their parents they learn from tv/video games/friends on how to deal with situations.

Im safe though, I only had the original nes, what harm could that have done!?

seriously though, My life wasnt perfect growing up as a kid, divorce, parents never home, some money-less times, and some events that could have definitely changed the impact on my life and views.

I've always been a nice guy, generaly and everyone gets along with me. I dont fake tough and swear at strangers, just have fun and enjoy life!

Terinox is offline The One & Only
    I'm really gonna have to disagree in terms of it being tv/video games/music, etc... I really don't believe that.

Growing up these days...all...ALL has to do with the way your raised and the friends that you hang out with, that's it. Doesn't matter how many damn HORROR, PORN, DEATH, VIOLENT movies you watch, if you're raised properly as a child, with close parental control, etc... Then it's all good.

My parents even separated for like 1.5 years while I was in Junior High, and yes, my parents have gone through a couple "roller coasters" of their own, BUT, still, I'd say compared to todays youth, i'm not doing so bad myself (i'm 20 by the way .)

jarrett is offline Senior Member
    i'll tell you what it is.. its that damn music and violent movies that are projected into there brains!! and when they come home from school they watch the jerry springer show.. I think parents dont invest enough time in there children now a days. ther to worried about the work priorities other than what ther kids are doing at home. i know as i grew up my father worked 2 jobs to help support my moms spending habits. that took alot away from the father son experince. then again i have a waked out dad .. ( he thought if i had G I joe's growing up that i would ultimitly become gay since ther so similar to barbie figures... keeping kids active in sports and work projects is a great way of keeping them out of trouble and also helps build charecter. (i cant spell today) and also keeps them off the streets stealing hub caps and figuring out ways of destroying things!!

hey

Originally posted by FireFighter
    Man I can't stand when people blame it on broken homes and shit. I came from a broken home when I was younger. It was only me, my two sisters, and my mother. My dad hit drugs really hard and me even worse. We all got outta there and by that experience I should have grown up a gang member. Im not saying I was an angel, but I never started any trouble or anything. I did get into fights, but hey Im a boy!!! My point is that using the fact that your childhood wasn't the greatest can only bring you so far. Fuckin grow up and become civilized people.

-FF
    pretty sad FF!! sorry to hear about your broken up home, you turned out like a decent person thou! glad to see that you are not a head banger and shit like that. WTF, everyone has their own problems and blames it on different things! A lot of people do indeed need to grow up and become civilized - i agree with you!!!

Greeniz

Terinox is offline The One & Only
    Originally posted by Padawan
    I teach HS, and I can totally agree with the lack of respect. I cannot believe what these kids get away with these days...and the parents for the most part do not give a shit. They both work, probably commute, and just want to sleep and drive their BMW on the weekend. I had on guy that dropped out to play EverQuest, and his mom said she was ok with it, since at least he wasn't out on the streets.

HAHAHAHAHAHAH...I hear you man!!! A relative of mine really fucked up his life with Ultima Online and Everquest, and other such computer games. Was it the games that fucked him up? HELL NO!!! It's his fucked up parents with the no discipline, i mean their fucken SCARED of him...like he's gonna eat them or something. Their like his slaves. The guys is lazy, never had anything "real" in his life, and is obese...so...go figure.

manijak is offline Associate Member
    I saw a bumper-sticker"Stupid people produce more little stupid people"

Thread Information