Pooks is offline Anabolic Member

APA citing, a famous quote.

"It's not hard to make decisions when you know what your values are." ~Roy Disney

If I want to cite that into my essay, do I have to go cite some quote website off the internet?

Or because its a famous quote made by some famous guy, is all i need is just his name..

Like if I say that he said it once a long time ago.. proof enough.. or do I have to go find another source or something that i guess verified it that he said, or some bullshit like that.. Cant we all just get along????!!!???

rockinred is offline Knowledgeable Member
    you will need to find a source that your quoting.... You can quote a verbal conversation that you where a part of, but if you weren't there when that was said, you need to cite a source. Also, if it was written you need to quote it from the source. In formal writing you have to lend credibility by showing where you got that source from. Some teachers that are not picky will let you cite it like you did in the essay, but you still have to show where you got it from in your references at the end of paper and the way you have it written above will not be an APA reference format.

Jakspro is offline Member
    Do you have an APA manual?

bigt10 is offline Member
    whats the essay on

CSAR is offline AR's Cunning Linguist
    Quote Originally Posted by rockinred View Post
    you will need to find a source that your quoting.... You can quote a verbal conversation that you where a part of, but if you weren't there when that was said, you need to cite a source. Also, if it was written you need to quote it from the source. In formal writing you have to lend credibility by showing where you got that source from. Some teachers that are not picky will let you cite it like you did in the essay, but you still have to show where you got it from in your references at the end of paper and the way you have it written above will not be an APA reference format.
    Good stuff. I always tell my students to reference quotes using APA style, regardless of whether they were firsthand, secondhand, etc. These days with the Internet, you can access just about anything.

My advice:
    1. Find the quote on the net.
    2. Use APA style to quote a stand-alone document, with no author identified, and no date given.

For example;

Roy Disney quotes. (n.d.). Retrieved August 17, 2008, from http://www.quotesandpoem.com/quotes/...y-disney/81725

vlaho is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CSAR View Post
    Good stuff. I always tell my students to reference quotes using APA style, regardless of whether they were firsthand, secondhand, etc. These days with the Internet, you can access just about anything.

My advice:
    1. Find the quote on the net.
    2. Use APA style to quote a stand-alone document, with no author identified, and no date given.

For example;

Roy Disney quotes. (n.d.). Retrieved August 17, 2008, from http://www.quotesandpoem.com/quotes/...y-disney/81725
    What is APA style?

stack_it is offline Nothing to it, but to do it
    Three year old thread...........

Ernst is offline Borderline Personality
    APA- American Psychological Association. They have their own standardized format for written works and citations.

Next time please keep an eye on the date of the thread...

Matt is offline AR's Hot British Pimp Daddy ~HOF~
    Blog Entries
    Man walking through air terminal sideways is going to Bangcock......
    Do not ask me for a source check.

Thread Information