Metallica is offline New Member

Need help with sociology presentation!!

hey i have to do a 5 min speech on social change...it can be related to anything...i was thinking about doing it on medicine and how it has become socially acceptable and changed thoughout time...does anyone have any suggestions or topics that i could speak on?? anny help would be appreciated...thanks..

trimunex is offline Senior Member
    How about divorce? And how it has become more socially acceptable today, than it was say .. 50 years ago. Just a thought. Or the change of the womens role in today's work environment? Of course, much stronger and accepted. More women working now than ever before. Also, there is a huge correlation between both topics that I've mentioned here.

divorce

king idea...i think ill give it a shot...thanks a lot

trimunex is offline Senior Member
    your welcome!

decided to do it on health and fitness...here is what i have so far..

please add any points that could help...thanks...

There are really two driving forces at play here. On the one hand, we have those who sit in front of televisions drinking beer and getting fat. On the other, we have an educated group of society (a subculture) that is interested in developing their bodies and maintaining a healthy lifestyle. Some men and women take this to an unhealthy extreme, which results in juicing bodybuilders and anorexic/bulimic women. So we have three groups. Fat-fucks, health-conscious people, and extremists. The two ends of the spectrum are unhealthy, but the people in the middle are the product of 10,000 years of human development and a phenomenon unheard of since the ancient Greeks over two thousand years ago (you know, the original Olympics).

What brought about this social change? Surely, public health advocates and governmental health related campaigns. Additionally, there is the influence of magazines that portray an image of youth, beauty, and symmetry seen almost exclusively through unhealthy activities (our beloved steroids , and for young women - anorexia/bulimia). What direction is this taking us in? I'm not really sure, but we are right in the middle of a perfect example of social change. In 2002, people have access to more information, drugs, technology and knowledge than ever before. In a sense, we are in the golden age of medicine competing with the forces of marketing (Seventeen magazine, male models, what Calvin Klein says you should look like).

p.s- im not saying steroids are bad, but i dont wont to have to defend them in my speech...

BullDogg20 is offline Member
    sounds good so far

Butch is offline Anabolic Member
    Hey bro I was sociology major in college...I once did a paper on how spanking your child in public is looked so down on these days comapred to the ways it was some 20 to 30 years ago.

If you think about it...parents these days are all into time outs and shit like that. It works...but most of us heree know that when pops smacked you or mom hit you with the "wooden" spoon....you never did what got you in trouble again. It's something to tthink about.

The divorce subjuect is good as well!

Cali is offline Female Member
    Butch, that is a good topic. A friend of mine was talking to a Dr's wife the other day and found out the wife had DHS knocking on her door because someone overheard her yelling at her sons in a store and called to have her checked out. Not only do people freak if you spank your child, some freak if you discipline your child at all. She said her kids were totally out of hand (and she has a loud voice anyway) so she raised her voice to get their attention and they stopped acting up. The next afternoon she had a knock on her door because someone turned her in for child abuse.

Thread Information