TheDfromGC is offline Anabolic Member

whats best way to get over public speaking fear

i cannot stand talking to groups of people. anytime i try i get all choked up and studder and its a mess. any1 got any good ways to help get over this lil problem?

Totenkopf is offline Associate Member
    Practice what your goin to say try it infront of a few people.
    once the initial shock is gone you will settle down and the words will flow evenly. its not easy to get up infront of alot of people but im sure you will be up for the task :}
    Whats the subject ??

KeyMastur is offline VET
    I got the best solution - don't speak in public. How easy is that ??

They say to try to picture everyone naked. Tried that once, got a boner and they laughed.

Everytime I get in front of a large group, I sometimes mumble, and my face turns bright red, palms start sweating........not fun.

Anyways, I don't have any good advice, but good luck.

key im the same way.......but got projects in school and we either talk in front of the class or get an E on a project which wouldnt be good so kind of have to do presentations

KeyMastur is offline VET
    ooh ooh......i do have some advice. when you're in front of them, DO NOT look into their eyes. if you do, you're screwed - you lose all of your concentration, you have no idea what the hell you're talkin about, you start thinkin, you start wonderin if you could kick that guy's ass or bone that chick....

Totenkopf is offline Associate Member
    Try to keep in mind there your fellow students not your supieriors.
    over half of them will probably have the same problem as you

so key u sayin i should just stare at the celing the whole time?

KeyMastur is offline VET
    haha.....not the ceiling....don't look all the way up, don't look at your feet either.

is your class the stadium seating type ? or smaller where the desks are all on the same level ? either way, pick a spot on the back wall and go left to right on it.

kreper69 is offline Associate Member
    Originally posted by Totenkopf
    Try to keep in mind there your fellow students not your supieriors.
    over half of them will probably have the same problem as you
    exactly, and like said before don't look into there eyes. if you start to feel a little bit nervous look down at your paper when you're speaking.
    shit, even if you just look up at the ceiling the whole time you still stood in front of class with presentation, and will get a good grade for the effort.

yea its flat classroom, no drops or rises in elevation....i think next time im just going to accept the fact im gonna go up there and get all red and start mumbling and look really stupid no matter what i do. maybe that will work

trimunex is offline Senior Member
    I used to have probs speaking in front of groups especially my 1st semester in college. Then, not too long after that I had a huge presentation to give in a large class of older students. Honestly, I spent more time thinking about how I would be able to handle myself speaking in front of the students, than I did on preparing my material. But the day before I was to speak, I just told myself to quit being a fucking pansy. Those students were no different or better than me. I had to trust my material. I knew it was good and correct, and all I had to do was just deliver it the way I planned. So as long as you are confident and believe in what you are saying/presenting, then you have no worries. Also, its good (if possible) to start off with a joke or something funny .. It relaxes the atmosphere, therefore, relaxing you.

AnabolLecter75 is offline Junior Member
    I have to speak in front of groups a lot, and here's a trick I use to fake eye contact. Don't look at their eyes, but look at their hair, the tip of someone's nose, their neck, etc. I have been doing that since I was a freshman in high school and I'm now a senior in college. To everyone in the audience, it appears you are looking directly at them. If you combine that with knowing the material very well, it makes for a great presentation.

Try having a few drinks beforehand.......just kidding. No, I know public speaking is tough. I've had to do it several times and its not fun. What I did was to go over my material where it was almost memorized. I also practiced the advice above where you don't look directly at people. Look off to the side or just above them. Take a few deep breaths beforehand to relax yourself. If its informal, you may want to throw a few jokes in to help relax yourself and your audience. The people are there to listen to what YOU have to say. Have confidence in yourself!! Good luck with your presentation. Let us know how it goes.

Wimmpy is offline Associate Member
    I used to have a lot of problems with it. I actually enjoy it now. The best way to get over it is get the crowd involved. I teach a couple times a semester at a college and found that when people participated it really takes a lot of the pressure off!

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Brah! I'll give you some personal experiences that helped me become confident in public speaking...

Know your material and believe in yourself. Understand that you are in control and your audience is your "people" - so to speak. Don't think about them as superior. If someone asks a question, repeat it back to them - those who ask the most questions, dominate the conversation... period. If they say that is what they were asking, then answer it - then ask if that answered their question. You can also tell them before hand that you will answer questions after you are finished if you choose to... or if during your speach you start to get too many questions.

Practice speaking loudly from the diaphram. You can put a pencil horizontally in your mouth and shout to get used to it. This keeps you from sounding to... ummm... gutterly? If you speak loud - people listen. If you are meak - they pick up on it and it can be a disapointment.

Begin your classroom with a good joke. This gets attention and the tention in the group - as well as eases the speaker.

Try not to figit. Playing with your watch or other things can be distractin to you and your audience. If you feel restless you can pace a bit back and forth.

All these tips are from personal experience from teaching and addressing audiences ranging from a few people - to near 200. I have also been interviewed for television. All these helped me.

Most of all - YOU ARE AN AUTHORITY... know your material and don't let anyone take control.

Hopefully I was clear enough and this helps - GOOD LUCK.

m16a2 is offline Senior Member
    Just pretend like your talking to one of your good friends. Remember not to be vulgar and just have a conversation with the audience. If you treat them like one common entity and address them in a casual manner, it will make it much easier for you, and make your speech much more impacting.

If that doesn't work, drink some scotch/whisky before the speech. It'll loosen you up and help to dismiss some anxiety. Don't do more than 2 ounces per hour and max of 4 ounces before the speech.

You will sweat a little, but the words will just flow

rick1979 is offline New Member
    TAKE VALIUM, IT WORKS GREAT.

Originally posted by rick1979
    TAKE VALIUM, IT WORKS GREAT.
    Yeah, don't really do this.

That works great for airplane anxiety, or trouble falling asleep, or general anxiety (dentists), tattoos and stuff like that; but if you have to GIVE a speech, you don't wanna be drooling or loosing your train of thought.

Butch is offline Anabolic Member
    JUST GET DRUNK!

Originally posted by Butch
    JUST GET DRUNK!

HAHAHA, get drunk go up to the podium and start slurring your words. Grab the finest woman outta the crowd and get your mack on. When the audience is baffled, just yell something incoherently, and bail with the girl.

Sounds like a good idea to me, you can't go wrong!

Gear101 is offline Member
    do your speak in front of your family.. the best and only way.. truest me in talk infront of peop,le all the time..

Jdawg50 is offline Anabolic Member
    Have fun with it, try to inteject some humor, when you get a good reaction from the crowd it always helps

usualsuspect is offline Anabolic Member
    To relieve pressure for a oral presentation, I always remind myself of the presentations given by my classmates. Most of them look like their going to piss their pants when their up there talking and no one else ever really has any idea what the person is talking about. Also I think of it as a bunch of manikens staring at me...which is probably not far from reality. But remember most of the people don't want to be there either. Just approach it as if your given an opportunty that you cannot miss since some of the other presentations by your classmates were disasters (at least you thought so). Hopefully this helps.
    Usualsuspect

NO prob for me, I'm in Speech and Debate, official member of the NFL (National Forensics League)

Cali is offline Female Member
    I feel for ya...I kind of panic in front of crowds of people, too. Warrior gave you some great info though. Good luck!

sp9
    sp9 is offline MMA Competition Sentinel
    It gets better over time..I have had to do 4 presentations so far this year. The worst think is being under prepared.

rick1979 is offline New Member
    Originally posted by rampage76

Yeah, don't really do this.

That works great for airplane anxiety, or trouble falling asleep, or general anxiety (dentists), tattoos and stuff like that; but if you have to GIVE a speech, you don't wanna be drooling or loosing your train of thoug ht.
    Have you ever taken valium when public speaking,i doubt you have . so keep your uneducated rambleings to your self ,so you dont look anymore like a fool than you allready do! I have had to do public speaches several times and 10mg. of valium works wonders.it calms you down so you can maintain your trane of thought, and if you have a problem drooling "rampage" maybe you should invest in a babies bib.

Southern Cross is offline Associate Member
    I generally look at a person's ears, like someone else said it kinda like fake eye contact. Also make sure you continually move your head from one spot to another. I generally pick three differnt spots left, center, and right. I look to the left, complete a thought/deliver your message, then move your eyes to the center and complete another thought.

Another thing, get there early, prepare, and if you get nervous go back to your notes, if notes are not permitted, try to find an individual in the audience who will act as what I like to call a "comfort" person. A comfort person is exactly that, an individual who you can make eye contact with and it does not make you nervous, generally these people are easy to spot, they sit there and smile and nod their heads. Good luck!

Originally posted by rick1979
    Have you ever taken valium when public speaking,i doubt you have . so keep your uneducated rambleings to your self ,so you dont look anymore like a fool than you allready do! I have had to do public speaches several times and 10mg. of valium works wonders.it calms you down so you can maintain your trane of thought, and if you have a problem drooling "rampage" maybe you should invest in a babies bib.
    Damn bro, those sound like some fighting words to be.

Here's my reasoning right here... Valium's generic name is Diazepam

[taken for psyweb, dup info on rxlist]

Diazepam ( Symptoms or Effects )

Common: Clumsiness / Sleepiness.

Rare: Abdominal cramps, blurred vision, dry mouth, racing heartbeat / palpitations, shaking / slurred speech, urination problems, convulsions, hallucinations, memory loss, trouble breathing, staggering / trembling, headache or confusion.

See physician always: Abdominal cramps, blurred vision, dry mouth, racing heartbeat / palpitations, shaking / slurred speech, urination problems, convulsions, hallucinations, memory loss, trouble breathing, staggering / trembling, headache or confusion.

See physician if severe: Clumsiness / Sleepiness.

Yeah, smart ass, I don't think this would be a good idea before a public speech. You feel free to do whatever you want with your life, but don't give out bad advice to others.

Thread Information