Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Has anybody broken their ankle before??

were you able to squat like normal again?

Mulciber is offline Scammer
    yep..dislocated and broke.. and compound fracture of fibula..all in one fall. 2 surgeries.. bunch of pins.. happened about 10 years ago..
    lost a little range of motion.. no biggie.
    sucker aches now and then.. since i broke the joint arthritis is certainly in my future...
    able to do squats just fine. knock on wood..

i fractured the inner ankle bone, i forgot what its called, had surgery, they put pins in. i just started walking today but i still have the boot cast on

i asked my doctor when i can start squatting and he said in 4 weeks but he said not to use any weight

how long until you were able to squat with weight?

Jfew44 is offline Senior Member
    I broke mine years back and all I can tell you is not to rush it. Dont risk re-injuring it because its not worth it.

inky-e is offline AR's ORIGINAL ANABOLIC OUTLAW~ [RIP-8/20/11]
    I broke mine last time in an MC accident...I didn't lift back then''6 yrs ago...but it gave me problems for a couple years after.

after i got the cast off they had me in rehab pushing weight.. nothing heavy tho and walking on the treadmill..it was terrible.. went through all that then had surgery again to remove the screws.. it was a year or so before i was comfortable using any kind of weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Mulciber View Post
    after i got the cast off they had me in rehab pushing weight.. nothing heavy tho and walking on the treadmill..it was terrible.. went through all that then had surgery again to remove the screws.. it was a year or so before i was comfortable using any kind of weight.
    they never told me anything about having surgery again to take the screws out

do they always take the screws out?

not always.. he said at my age, was 26 at the time, it would be better if the screws came out..

im 22

wonder if i can scan my xrays and post them..its nasty.. when they got me to the hospital, was on a job site and an ambulance came to pick my ass up.. foot was sideways and twisted under my leg if that makes sence.. and the bone was sticking through my skin and stretching my sock out about an inch and a half.. gave me gas in the ambulance.. in the ER they gave me 100mg demerol and something else , said so i wouldnt know whats going on..hell the demerol covered that..lol.. i had no bloodflow to my foot.. this doc has my foot in what appeared to be a headlock and he was twisting it around trying to straighten it out and get the blood flowing so i didnt lose my foot..
    ended up staying in the hospital 80 miles from home for a week.. i was running a fever and they were worried about blood clots due to the compound fracture i suppose..

you might ask him about removing the pins.. see what he says

wonder if i can scan my xrays and post them..its nasty.. when they got me to the hospital, was on a job site and an ambulance came to pick my ass up.. foot was sideways and twisted under my leg if that makes sence.. and the bone was sticking through my skin and stretching my sock out about an inch and a half.. gave me gas in the ambulance.. in the ER they gave me 100mg demerol and something else , said so i wouldnt know whats going on..hell the demerol covered that..lol.. i had no bloodflow to my foot.. this doc has my foot in what appeared to be a headlock and he was twisting it around trying to straighten it out and get the blood flowing so i didnt lose my foot..
    ended up staying in the hospital 80 miles from home for a week.. i was running a fever and they were worried about blood clots due to the compound fracture i suppose..
    yours sounds worse than mine

Rugger02 is offline Anabolic Member
    I broke mine about 6 years ago.
    I was lifting light weights about 6 months afterwards, back up to normal within a year.
    It still pops just about every time I take a step because a tendon or something scrapes across some scartissue or something, aches sometimes but not too bad.
    Like Mulciber said, arthritis is definately in my future...

Quote Originally Posted by Jfew44 View Post
    I broke mine years back and all I can tell you is not to rush it. Dont risk re-injuring it because its not worth it.
    what part of the ankle did you break?

Quote Originally Posted by inky-e View Post
    I broke mine last time in an MC accident...I didn't lift back then''6 yrs ago...but it gave me problems for a couple years after.
    what part of the ankle did you break?

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    Nasty is fun, post them.

godkilla is offline Senior Member
    broke my ankle, foot twice, buncha toes and tore a ligament in my ankle and aside from some stiffness i dont notice a diff.

Voice of Reason is offline Senior Member
    I broke my ankle jumping of the top bunk bed when I was 5, but it has not effected my squats.

how long did it take for you guys to squat like normal again with weight??

Quote Originally Posted by bossman_1986 View Post
    how long did it take for you guys to squat like normal again with weight??

AnimalGear is offline Little Monster in the making
    yea i've messed up my stuff

And...there's a third incision line on the side by the big toe that you can't see in that pic

drive safe, kids
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Has anybody broken their ankle before??-exfix1.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by AnimalGear View Post
    yea i've messed up my stuff

And...there's a third incision line on the side by the big toe that you can't see in that pic

drive safe, kids
    when'd that happen???

AnimalGear is offline Little Monster in the making
    Oct 3 of last year

how long until you were able to squat again?

AUb27 is offline Associate Member

Arrow

iv broken my ankle's growth plate (soccer) with a full recovery. my physiotherapist is awesome. i was practicing basketball doing layups while I was still in my cast after a few weeks. the best thing that i think he did for me was stabilizer muscle excercises. try balancing on one foot for 30 seconds without using ur arms for balance. once uv mastered that try doing it with your eyes closed. aim for 30 seconds on one foot with eyes closed. once u can do that im betting your able to start squatting again. (of course your rehabilitating along with other excercises during this)

IronReload04 is offline "Rancid Protein Powder Mastermind Technician"
    how long until you were able to squat again?
    bump for the poor fellow....he wants to know how long until you guys were squatting full go

Quote Originally Posted by IronReload04 View Post
    bump for the poor fellow....he wants to know how long until you guys were squatting full go
    haha thanks

KatsMeow is offline Stupid
    I haven't broken my ankle but I just had a bad sprain in August and I still can't workout right, it still hurts with just everyday stuff, I think some people recover better than others

Dinosaur is offline Member
    i did break my left ankle from playing rugby. i heard it when it poped twice i got up and felt pain tried to walk to see if its kind light damag but it was bad. it took me about 3 months to walk normal. 8 months to recover fully about 1yr to start squating light. the worse fracture u want to have is the anckle.

Quote Originally Posted by KatsMeow View Post
    I haven't broken my ankle but I just had a bad sprain in August and I still can't workout right, it still hurts with just everyday stuff, I think some people recover better than others
    it depends exactly what you injured. various tissues have poor blood supply, not much pain, recovery very slow....other tissues have more pain sensations but heal quicker. some injuries wont heal without surgery.....might want to see a doc.

lol buddy....you got one response the guy right above you....one year.

Quote Originally Posted by IronReload04 View Post
    lol buddy....you got one response the guy right above you....one year.
    haha i just want somebody to say they recovered and started squatting in like 4 months just so i feel betterr

i have another question,

when starting to squat after you're done physio and everything, would it be better to start squatting by putting a 5 pound plate under your heels so it takes some pressure off your ankle??

i have another question,

when starting to squat after you're done physio and everything, would it be better to start squatting by putting a 5 pound plate under your heels so it takes some pressure off your ankle??

i have another question,

bump

i have another question,

bump

Bojangles69 is offline Banned
    shattered my growth plate (connects all bones in ankle together) into a bunch of pieces.

Went into surgery and got a screw and 6 inch pin in the bones.
    Took me about a good 9 months just to walk again some what normal.

Now when I hurt my ankle its actually my other one (good ankle), the doctor said when a break heels it will weld itself and actually build a kind of bone calus making that bone stronger than it was before it even broke.

Over the years I notice any problems are in my other ankle, so no, breaking my ankle prob made that foot stronger than the other one, as weird it may sound.

Bojangles69 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by KatsMeow View Post
    I think thats true but what I think is truer is some people don't give a shit about recovering.

I sprained my ankle 2 months ago, today it still makes cracking noises and hurts like hell when I run over 2 miles.
    I have no idea what the cracking is from now if it wasn't broke, really weird.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information