Gymgirl is offline Female Member

Anyone good with computers??

I have a problem with my scanner... It's a CanoScanN650U, I've got Windows XP and the damn thing refuses to work!! I've tried updating the driver, reinstalling everything... When I try to scan a picture I get two error messages, first "release the lock switch and close the scanner driver" and the other "can't open (or locate, or whatever) the TWAIN blah blah"... The lock switch IS released and when I look the correct files are indeed in the TWAIN folder... What to do?? I've been trying to get it to work for MONTHS now. I know I should let a pro look at it, but it costs money, and well... I am lazy... Any ideas? XP can be a real pain in the ass sometimes... The only thing I like about it is that it doesn't crash as often as ME and '98...

jarrett is offline Senior Member
    pm majorpecs with all your computer problems

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Is this a flatbed scanner? If so, many have a little screw type ock that you need to turn to allow the lens to move for the scan. Do you see a flat-screw type switch on it?

What program are you using to import? Photoshop?

mekler is offline Associate Member
    if it's a USB scanner, go to the manufacturer's website and look for a USB removal tool, i work for gateway's help desk and the 1 thing i hate most is anything USB

Adonis is offline Associate Member
    I have the exact same scanner and I also had the same problem but with Win 98 and ME.
    1-. remove the entire software
    2-. leave scanner connected and re-boot
    3-. windoze will detect the scanner
    4-. re-install the software

that should do it, if not then it might be USB wire, you get the same message if you unplug the scanner thus you should look into that too.

Hope that helps.

Yes, it is a flatbead scanner. And I have tried to import the pic to several different programs... The switch is in "open" mode so it can't be that, even though the computer says so. I'm almost convinced the USB cable is kaputt... Since it's a combined USB and power cable I think it's going to cost me some cash to replace it. Warranty expired a few months ago I think, the smart thing would of course have been to turn the whole thing in for repair, but since I've got a digital camera now I don't use the scanner much and there was no hurry... Now I really need it, I'm going to show the girls in the womens forum my "before" pics from 1999. Damn!

Oh. And I have tried removing all the software and letting Windows install the scanner again. I have also tried installing it manually. Asked my brother about it, he's very good with computers, but he's just fed up with my **cked up computer (it's been causing a me great deal of dispair for the last two years) and I don't want to bother him anymore. Guess I better have someone test the USB cable for me... The girls will have to wait a few weeks for that pic...

Semper Macintosh! PC clones are CRAP!

symatech is offline Retired Moderator
    on the bottom of your scanner you will see a slide switch with two pictures 'a locked lock' and an 'open lock' slide the switch to open and your scanner will work! if it still does not PM me ill help you out

peace

Adonis is offline Associate Member
    You can always pickup a USB cable at any RadioShack for about $5.

Symatech,

Like I said TWICE before, the scanner is NOT locked.

Adonis,

The USB cable is not the standard cable, it's a combined USB and power cable. But nevertheless I do need to have someone look at it. Downside being I will probably have to wait 4 weeks til I get it back...

jeffylyte is offline Member
    Indiana. My phallus is bigger than Nathan's!
    of course it could me xp. two major problems exist with it that give device drivers problems.

1) upgrading to xp. it always sucks. never works. the only good way to go is to reformat and do a clean install. when you upgrade it doesnt replace all of the previous OS, it tries to shortcut and us some of the old files. this sucks. I know 3 people who have had this problem.

the point is if nothing else works (including cable) you could always do a clean install and it might solve the problem.

YZFR6 is offline Associate Member
    Go for a clean install, remove the scanner completely. Unhook it and remove it in device manager, restart clean. Now plug it back in and hope that windows detects it. If not the scanner might be damaged (assuming you have the correct drivers and already tried adding them)... is it sitll under warranty? Do they have a support number or better yet a webpage you can search for the exact error message?

Warranty expired a few months ago... Can't find anything useful on the website either. Downloaded the latest driver and uninstall file, none made any difference. Windows does detect the scanner, and the scanner photo lens starts to move when I try importing a picture, then it stops and I get the "release the lock switch" message, and after that the message about the TWAIN folder. There might also be something wrong with my version of XP... If all else fails, I will do a clean install, and if XP does not work then I'll go for an earlier version of Windows. Thanks for your input!

GG

YZFR6 is offline Associate Member
    Check windowsupdate and see if there are any noncritical updates that may relate to your scanner. Did the scanner ever work in XP? I took a look at the cannon website and they have an answer search where you should be able to type in your exact error message and see what they have to say about it. Here's the link:
    http://12.129.248.84/techsupport.php...can+N650U&q=kb

Give that a try...

Thread Information