Oki-Des is offline Anabolic Member

I need to help a child. Can you help me? (Vote needed; no money)

Hello, as some of you may know I develop medical devices for our wounded soldiers. I recently entered a contest to raise $10K to cover the manufacturing costs to offer a small girl the first body-powered artificial hand in her size.
    I wanted to ask if any of you would be willing to follow the link on this page and please vote for this idea if you feel it is worthwhile. You do not have to sign up for anything. Simply open the link and click the "Like this idea, vote for it now" button. You will change this little girls life!

http://www.ideablob.com/ideas/4194-B...ered_view=true

Thank you everyone! If I win you may see this little girl on the news someday and know you helped her!
    Last edited by Oki-Des; 01-04-2009 at 07:55 PM. Reason: I think people will think I am asking for money and not read my post.

scibble is offline "A Dukkit In The Making"
    voted

Thank you! This really means a lot to me.

Bojangles69 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Oki-Des View Post
    Hello, as some of you may know I develop medical devices for our wounded soldiers. I recently entered a contest to raise $10K to cover the manufacturing costs to offer a small girl the first body-powered artificial hand in her size.
    I wanted to ask if any of you would be willing to follow the link on this page and please vote for this idea if you feel it is worthwhile. You do not have to sign up for anything. Simply open the link and click the "Like this idea, vote for it now" button. You will change this little girls life!

http://www.ideablob.com/ideas/4194-B...ered_view=true

Thank you everyone! If I win you may see this little girl on the news someday and know you helped her!
    So what is this?
    Before you can vote, comment or submit ideas you must first either login or register a new account.

Comeon dude, people out there have much worse problems than a missing hand. No way I'm signing up for anything, especially after I feel like your OP is deceiptful.

it doesn't really require any personal info aside from a valid email to activate the account.

Why would you think it is deceitful? I have developed the only functional artificial fingers for amputees. I pay myself just $3,500 per month although every major insurance carrier including Medicare, United Health and Liberty mutual covers my device. Children are often offered one prosthesis for life and because parents have to choose the best time, they usually wait until the child is grown. I am trying to give a family a free device that I can not afford to make myself.
    If you noticed my post stated "If you feel it is worthwhile"
    I certainly did not ask anyone to do anything they do not want to.
    I did not know you had to register for that site first. This is not a scam though. My devices have been seen in several major museums and was even on Modern Marvels. Look up the word X-Finger and you will see how popular this technology is becoming.
    Of course there are problems worse than missing fingers, but have you solved any of these problems for anyone? Or are you just bashing others that are at least trying to help others?

it's OK bro. whenever you ask someone to lend a hand, there is always someone who will just give you the finger

Ernst is offline Borderline Personality
    voted.

almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Interesting idea, Oki! I'm a machinist and usually keep up with the trade magazines. There have been a few articles about machining as it applies to joint replacement, etc....very high tech stuff.

AG
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

xlxBigSexyxlx is offline CHEMICALLY ENGINEERED
    Blog Entries
    voted

LOL. You are not kidding. For the past 7 years I have worked 80+ hours per week, only giving myself a little free time to work out, eat and sleep; and on occasion read up on whats going on here.
    To make sure you did not need to sign up for anything I copied the link to the page in Firefox and pasted it in an Outlook browser. I did this because I had not saved my password in Outlook. Because the same page opened and I saw the vote button I figured anyone could get there. The fact that I did not know you needed to sign up after that simply shows I did not vote for myself.
    I still do not get the comment, "There are much worse problems than missing fingers."
    There are worse problems than minor cuts as well, but even band aids have found a place in the market.

Thank you all for voting.
    Your awesome!

almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    NP, Oki. I think it's a great contribution.

AG
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

Quote Originally Posted by almostgone View Post
    Interesting idea, Oki! I'm a machinist and usually keep up with the trade magazines. There have been a few articles about machining as it applies to joint replacement, etc....very high tech stuff.

AG
    I was lucky because after filing for patents the Department of Defense asked me to develop a functional artificial thumb. I was invited to Brook Army Medical Center as well as Walter Reed. Every soldier that was missing fingers and saw my devices wanted one for themselves. I have now completed an interchangeable system that can be assembled to accommodate more than 400 configurations of devices.

I just need to do this for children now. Children under the age of 5 actually make up the largest group of finger amputees outside the workplace; typically from closing doors. I am considering a non-profit to help raise funds through donations and I will donate the patents for the pediatric market to give these devices to any child in need. I cant change the health care problems but I can give the best treatment for finger loss to any child that needs it. For now, I am just trying to have one smaller size fabricated. From there we can raise awareness.

Thank you all for your time.

gst528i is offline Senior Member
    NIce work dude.

Thanks!
    Nice Car!

Bojangles69 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Oki-Des View Post
    Why would you think it is deceitful? I have developed the only functional artificial fingers for amputees. I pay myself just $3,500 per month although every major insurance carrier including Medicare, United Health and Liberty mutual covers my device. Children are often offered one prosthesis for life and because parents have to choose the best time, they usually wait until the child is grown. I am trying to give a family a free device that I can not afford to make myself.
    If you noticed my post stated "If you feel it is worthwhile"
    I certainly did not ask anyone to do anything they do not want to.
    I did not know you had to register for that site first. This is not a scam though. My devices have been seen in several major museums and was even on Modern Marvels. Look up the word X-Finger and you will see how popular this technology is becoming.
    Of course there are problems worse than missing fingers, but have you solved any of these problems for anyone? Or are you just bashing others that are at least trying to help others?

Ok - so you didn't know, I just don't trust sending my email out because it seems even the most legit places in the world now result in 10 new random places sending me mail EVEN when they say NO SPAM.

I haven't solved any problems, because I don't care.
    I'm not bashing anyone, thank you for helping the world. Just trying to throw some caution out there, I'm sure she will be happy & good luck.

Thank you for the response. I know what you mean about junk mail and I certainly did not want to have any more thrown your way. Im simply trying to help some child and if anyone was willing to offer a minute, it would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

higherdesire is offline Banned
    Voted

Thanks!

I would like to sincerely thank everyone that took the time to vote! I truly appreciate your time.

PT
    PT is offline DUNAMIS ~ AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    great idea and i love your dedication. voted yes
    source checks- 200 posts and 6 month membership min. entirely within my discretion
    PT is a fictional character and all posts are for entertainment purposes only.

Dobie-BOY is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scibble View Post
    it's OK bro. whenever you ask someone to lend a hand, there is always someone who will just give you the finger

LMFAO!!!!

I thought that was funny too!

Thread Information