Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    scibble is offline "A Dukkit In The Making"

the Unofficial "Ask the Jew" thread...

I thought about this, and considered that I should do it. I decided NOT in any way to start a thread as a response to the 'ask a muslim thread' per se. That's not at all what this is about.

But it has become obvious that there is so much lack of knowledge and so much misunderstandings about Jewish people that it's needed some help for people.

So, I am fairly knowledgeable in this area, and welcome any questions, whether they be "insightful", "stupid" (j/k) or whatever. Just try not to flame the Jew...

bodybuilder1107 is offline Senior Member
    your asking for it you know that right?

bodybuilder1107 is offline Senior Member
    Who is your official god

do you believe in mary and the scenario that comes with it

if everyone is equal then how come only 144,00(or whatever it is) are chosen and get to go to heaven?

Whats the difference between this and christianity

Quote Originally Posted by bodybuilder1107 View Post
    Who is your official god
    He is just called "G-d", though religious people often refer to as "Ha-Shem" which literally means 'the name' since you're not supposed to say the name.

Absolutely not.

if everyone is equal then how come only 144,00(or whatever it is) are chosen and get to go to heaven?
    Religious Jews believe that G-d actually offered all the nations to give up evil deeds and follow the laws but that they all refused except the Jews and in a paradox of freewill and heavenly omniscience were thus 'chosen'.

Jews are not saying that only Jews will go to heaven (as i believe some other religions may believe). There is the concept of the Righteous Gentile, meaning non-Jewish good-deed do-er will go to heaven as well.

I want to first state that I am only quoting from my knowledge after delving deeply into the Jewish faith for eight years ,and i am not necessarily saying that all Jews are faithful to very religious/biblical beliefs or that I myself buy into all of these things...

Also it's important that i stick to 'what judaism is' and avoid comparative religious commentary since i am not so knowledgeable about other major religions and do not want to make ignorant comments which may offend someone of another religion.

I can however say that the main substantial difference between Ch, and J, is that Judaism entails the Old Testament and prophetic writings but has no belief whatsoever in Jesus or any of the aspects of the New Testament.
    Last edited by scibble; 01-07-2009 at 02:32 PM.

BuffedGuy is offline Senior Member
    Hey Scibble, shalom!

I think it's great you created this thread. I have tons of questions myself.

My first question (just because I want to know what my source is for future questions) is: are you a Reform, Conservative, or Orthodox Jew?

Thanks!

Peace be unto you, Scribble.

Quote Originally Posted by scibble View Post
    Jews are not saying that only Jews will go to heaven (as i believe some other religions may believe).
    I have heard that Jews don't believe in Heaven, i.e. that there is nothing in Jewish canonical texts that explicitly mentions this. Can you please clarify this?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by BuffedGuy View Post
    Hey Scibble, shalom!

I think it's great you created this thread. I have tons of questions myself.

My first question (just because I want to know what my source is for future questions) is: are you a Reform, Conservative, or Orthodox Jew?

Thanks!
    Thanks bro! I am a complicated man in all senses of life.

I was raised as a small child will a jewish mother who was reform, and a protestant not-very-religious father. we had chanuka and we had christmas with a christmas tree also, and as a kid, that was fun.

My mother died when i was young. I was raised by reform Jewish relatives. Then for eight years i lived with my father and his wife. I was occasionally forced to attend a christian church and have no problems with that.

when i grew up i was again in a reform Jewish mode, always having identified myself as a Jew. I looked into the Jewish religion deeply including living in Israel for four years and briefly attending a very right-wing religious "school/compound" (called a Yeshiva). When I returned to the States I moved into an orthodox Jewish community and lived a completely observant orthodox lifestyle for eight years: reading, learning, attending prayer services, staying with other families, the whole nine yards. This affected my clothing, my diet, everything. Basically, I was almost brainwashed. I am currently slacking in observance for more complicated reasons...

Shalom, Scribble.

Thanks bro! I am a complicated man in all senses of life.

I was raised as a small child will a jewish mother who was reform, and a protestant not-very-religious father. we had chanuka and we had christmas with a christmas tree also, and as a kid, that was fun.

My mother died when i was young. I was raised by reform Jewish relatives. Then for eight years i lived with my father and his wife. I was occasionally forced to attend a christian church and have no problems with that.

when i grew up i was again in a reform Jewish mode, always having identified myself as a Jew. I looked into the Jewish religion deeply including living in Israel for four years and briefly attending a very right-wing religious "school/compound" (called a Yeshiva). When I returned to the States I moved into an orthodox Jewish community and lived a completely observant orthodox lifestyle for eight years: reading, learning, attending prayer services, staying with other families, the whole nine yards. This affected my clothing, my diet, everything. Basically, I was almost brainwashed. I am currently slacking in observance for more complicated reasons...
    So what would you consider yourself now? Orthodox or moving away from that?

The reason I ask is that I always find it more logical to be an orthodox Jew/Christian/Muslim as opposed to a liberal/reform one, but of course, that's my own understanding/preference. I just think that if you're going to follow something, might as well follow it for what it is, not what you make it. But anyways, I ramble...so can you tell me, would you consider yourself Orthodox or moving away from that or what? Or undecided based on your life experiences?

Thanks!

Peace be unto you, Scribble.
    I have heard that Jews don't believe in Heaven, i.e. that there is nothing in Jewish canonical texts that explicitly mentions this. Can you please clarify this?
    Thanks!
    This is complicated. Firstly, there is no law which states that if you dont find it in 'canonical' texts that it is not part of the religion right? Secondly, this depends upon how you define 'canonical'. The Old testament, (and i do not consider myself by any means a biblical scholar) does not mention heaven i do not believe. only is mentioned when an important patriarch such as isaac or moses died, that 'he expired and was taken in to join his ancestors'.

However, there are allusions in prophetic writings to utopian future. also, many non-jews do not consider that the oral law, known as Talmud, is completely a major part of the canon. and the concept is heavily mentioned throughout.

the concept is called "ha-olam ha-ba-ah", or 'the world to come'. in the end of days everyone will be resurrected and will join the Almighty at his throne and bask in his never-ending glory. The better person you were in this life the better seats you get at the show, so to speak.

So what would you consider yourself now? Orthodox or moving away from that?

The reason I ask is that I always find it more logical to be an orthodox Jew/Christian/Muslim as opposed to a liberal/reform one, but of course, that's my own understanding/preference. I just think that if you're going to follow something, might as well follow it for what it is, not what you make it. But anyways, I ramble...so can you tell me, would you consider yourself Orthodox or moving away from that or what? Or undecided based on your life experiences?

Thanks!
    That is another difficult question. On one hand, i totally see your point. I didnt make such a journey without long hard thought about exactly the idea you speak of. It seems like you either believe it or you don't. If you believe in G-d and his laws then why would someone think "oh, i can choose this or that." and this is what i thought for a long time.

the problem is in orthodox judaism, it never ends. there is a constant one-upsmanship of self-righteousness. you crap you say a prayer. you sneeze you say a prayer. your hear thunder you say a prayer. you dont touch this. you eat this but not this but only if it's this and this and didn't touch that but not on this day or this time or before eating that....

and people climb this ladder of orthodoxy until they are completely robotic automatons with no redeems social value. or go crazy.

so in the end, while it's ideal that you go "all or nothing", it not practical for most people. you can say "it's G-d's law, it doesnt have to be practical" but as a human being I have limited capacity for that.

what makes me orthodox or not? do i have to believe everything and do everything i'm supposed to? or do everything but not have total faith? Honestly to answer you best I can, I would say I am a lax modern orthodox. I am not totally faithful and not totally observant, but that is where my heart lies for whatever that's worth.

Thanks for your answer.

Is it true that the Talmud is considered more authoritative in Judaism than the Old Testament?

Also, who exactly wrote the Talmud? I have read that it is Jewish Rabbis throughout the ages, namely the Pharisees, who wrote it. If so, based on what authority did they write it? I mean to say, do you guys believe they were divinely inspired, etc?

Shalom!
    Last edited by BuffedGuy; 01-06-2009 at 03:16 PM.

That is another difficult question. On one hand, i totally see your point. I didnt make such a journey without long hard thought about exactly the idea you speak of. It seems like you either believe it or you don't. If you believe in G-d and his laws then why would someone think "oh, i can choose this or that." and this is what i thought for a long time.

the problem is in orthodox judaism, it never ends. there is a constant one-upsmanship of self-righteousness. you crap you say a prayer. you sneeze you say a prayer. your hear thunder you say a prayer. you dont touch this. you eat this but not this but only if it's this and this and didn't touch that but not on this day or this time or before eating that....

and people climb this ladder of orthodoxy until they are completely robotic automatons with no redeems social value. or go crazy.

so in the end, while it's ideal that you go "all or nothing", it not practical for most people. you can say "it's G-d's law, it doesnt have to be practical" but as a human being I have limited capacity for that.

what makes me orthodox or not? do i have to believe everything and do everything i'm supposed to? or do everything but not have total faith? Honestly to answer you best I can, I would say I am a lax modern orthodox. I am not totally faithful and not totally observant, but that is where my heart lies for whatever that's worth.
    Thanks for a very clear answer. I appreciate it.

run_n_fool is offline Associate Member
    Explain the details behind keeping Kosher. Do you keep Kosher?

Kingweb50 is offline Member
    I was thinking about taking the birthright trip and wondered if it worth going on or be better just to pay for it? I am not jewish at all in the religious way my great grandmother was and her blood was passed down from mom to mom to mom.

Thanks for your answer.

Is it true that the Talmud is considered more authoritative in Judaism than the Old Testament?

Also, who exactly wrote the Talmud? I have read that it is Jewish Rabbis throughout the ages, namely the Pharisees, who wrote it. If so, based on what authority did they write it? I mean to say, do you guys believe they were divinely inspired, etc?

Shalom!
    No, it is not true. They are just as authoritative. But one cannot easily apply the Old testament to actual daily practice. OK obviously its clear enough to understand "thou shalt not kill", but many many practices of daily life have to be interpreted in all the detail. for instance, if you were chopping a tree with an axe, and the axe head came loose and flew through the air and killed your buddy, did you "kill" him? it's very complicated.

but no, the old testament is learned word for word by many jews, and by all considered the word of G-D.

The oral law was given to Moses by G-d, in addition to the written (Old Testament, Torah). The oral law was taught purely by word of mouth and forbidden to be written down. Finally, centuries ago, it was decided that due to all the killings and exiles and authorities trying to snuff out the Jewish practices, the only way to save this oral law was to try to write it down. So very high level rabbis who knew the law starting writing it, but had to be extremely concise such that what was written and saved appears somewhat cryptic. So, later rabbis with great knowledge came and interpreted the meaning of this first component, and wrote down disputations about it's meaning on the page with the original. so you get the original cryptic oral law followed by an elucidation. this often goes like: [old testament] says Blah, rabbi A. says this means Blah Blah, while rabbi B. disagrees and says this means Blah Blah Blah. the arguments are very intricate and difficult to follow, so people who can read it and interpret the arguments are sharp dudes indeed. later rabbis wanted to clarify the elucidated text and added their own explanations of the explanations which are written in the margin on the page again. so you see on a single page, the comments from centuries of rabbis (the brightest) answering and interpreting the earlier ones.

then there are large numbers of books that go on to explain the explanations of the explanations of the explanations. this is not an exaggeration, if anything an understatement of how complicated it is.

to some extent, yes, the great rabbinic authorities were considered geniuses and also divinely inspired.

Quote Originally Posted by run_n_fool View Post
    Explain the details behind keeping Kosher. Do you keep Kosher?
    I'm happy to try but that's like asking to 'explain the details of microbiology'

What i mean is, it's very involved and complicated. A simplified response is:

NO eating any mammal which does not BOTH chew its cud (ruminant) AND have a split hoof. (pig does not chew its cud, camel has no split hoof)
    NO eating seafood creatures unless they have BOTH fins AND scales on them
    (catfish have no scales, cant eat)
    NO eating dairy product and meat product together. Also, after eating a meat product, do NOT eat a dairy product until six hours later.

even if you can eat a cow, the cow has to have been slaughtered in a ritual manner, by a trained rabbi called a Shochet who also has inspected the animal to make sure it has no disease. How do you know? You can only buy food with a reliable symbol printed on the package to indicate that this was done.

further more, on the sabbath (Friday sundown to Saturday sundown) there is to be NO cooking whatsoever. then you have complicated rules as to what is considered 'cooking'.

These are the more important things to know without getting into crazy detail.

oh, and i have been keeping kosher,

but lately i've become lax in that i have been eating some Doritos - not marked with the kosher symbol.

and i ate icecream after meat, so i guess it's partial now, but i wont eat pork or shrimps...

Quote Originally Posted by Kingweb50 View Post
    I was thinking about taking the birthright trip and wondered if it worth going on or be better just to pay for it? I am not jewish at all in the religious way my great grandmother was and her blood was passed down from mom to mom to mom.
    the advantage of the birthright trip is all the coordinated exposure to many places in Israel and possibly access to some religious institutions, not sure on that last point. dont know all the details on that program.

i do think it's a good idea to learn about your heritage, so going there is highly recommended.

also about keeping kosher: you cannot use dishes pots or other utensils for both meat things and dairy things. so you're expected to have AT LEAST two sets of dishes, pots, and silver. some families have two separate sinks, and two separate ovens.

run_n_fool is offline Associate Member
    Thanks for the replies. My assigned roommate in college kept Kosher so I understand the mechanics of it, my question was more about the why's behind the meat and dairy, the scale and fin, and the cud and hoof.

Quote Originally Posted by run_n_fool View Post
    Thanks for the replies. My assigned roommate in college kept Kosher so I understand the mechanics of it, my question was more about the why's behind the meat and dairy, the scale and fin, and the cud and hoof.
    bottom line is that we are taught that because it is in the old testament, Torah that way. G-d said to obey that and any rationale for WHY? is not relevant.

the milk and meat comes from the biblical admonition not to "cook a kid in its mother's milk". this is interpreted heavily in the talmud and related texts, leading to the prohibition.

i hope that answers your Q. if i've been dense and missed it please let me know.

Deltasaurus is offline The Over Analyzing Nattabolic
    In this day in age i say to someone "You're so gay" it means in that context not that there homosexual but kinda like your so lame

is it really offensive when someone say dont be Jewish and you hear it?
    Cuz imo its just like a slang word like when i call my friend Jewish for not giving me some fries or he's being stingy so i say devin being a Jew.

is it as bad to you as when say a black person hears then N word?

Crest is offline Senior Member
    why are jew's circumcised?

for me personally it's nowhere near as bad as the N word. In fact when i've heard the N word i almost physically wince.

But keep in mind, that a black person can use the N word with another black person. In the same way, if a friend of mine told me not to be jewish about it, i would not be offended and would take it like he's busting my balls.

but if a stranger or someone that does not know me would say something like that it would offend me because i would figure there are underlying racial problems with that person.

to me, when someone says "you're so gay" it's not necessarily a put down, but that may just be my personal bias. when someone says youre being jewish, they usually are saying something bad about your character like that you are greedy or cheap

i mean, sometimes i've entertained a non-jewish patient (that i've come to know pretty well enough to be joking and casual with) by cracking a jewish joke. and he thinks it's cool that a jew can tell a joke about jews.

it's all in the context of the situation.

I said, "how was copper wire invented?"
    answer: two Jews were fighting over a penny.

Quote Originally Posted by uk lad View Post
    why are jew's circumcised?
    simply because in the bible it clearly says that all your people will forever circumcise your sons on the eighth day - no other reason

Edgar is offline Associate Member
    are jewish girls the best at sex! ?

hahaha.... no.

warchild is offline Knowledgeable Member
    is it true that the jews wondered the desert for so many years b/c lost a quater?

higherdesire is offline Banned
    He is just called "G-d", though religious people often refer to as "Ha-Shem" which literally means 'the name' since you're not supposed to say the name.

Absolutely not.

Religious Jews believe that G-d actually offered all the nations to give up evil deeds and follow the laws but that they all refused except the Jews and in a paradox of freewill and heavenly omniscience were thus 'chosen'.

Jews are not saying that only Jews will go to heaven (as i believe some other religions may believe). There is the concept of the Righteous Gentile, meaning non-Jewish good-deed do-er will go to heaven as well.
    I want to first state that I am only quoting from my knowledge after delving deeply into the Jewish faith for eight years ,and i am not necessarily saying that all Jews are faithful to very religious/biblical beliefs or that I myself buy into all of these things...

Also it's important that i stick to 'what judaism is' and avoid comparative religious commentary since i am not so knowledgeable about other major religions and do not want to make ignorant comments which may offend someone of another religion.

I can however say that the main substantial difference between Ch, and J, is that Judaism entails the Old Testament and prophetic writings but has no belief whatsoever in Jesus or any of the aspects of the New Testament.[/QUOTE]

When you say WE does that include the Messianic Jews? Or do you mean just the Orthodox Jews? Additionally, sincce the prophetic text contained in the types and shadow writings of the Canonical texts point to a Messiah, do you (Orthodox Jews) then believe that is yet to pass? Why do you hide the middle loaf during the passover feast? THanks.

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    i have jewish business partners. i continually forget when the holidays are, there names and what they are all about. i accidentally called the one on a real holyday and i felt like such a jerk, he was ok with it, but if i knew better it wouldnt have happened. do u mind listing out and explaining briefly the jewish holidays?

JAYROD is offline Senior Member
    is jerry seinfeld the most important jewish celebrity of all time?

i have another question. why is it the jewish religion treated as if it was a nationality? for example, when someone says i am half jewish, to me that make no sense. you either are jewish or you are not. it is like me saying i am half protestant and half russian orthodox. you either are one or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by JAYROD View Post
    is jerry seinfeld the most important jewish celebrity of all time?
    i can answer that. no, it has to be sammy davis junior! he converted

amcon is offline physical pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside... The pain of quiting will lasts forever!!
    Quote Originally Posted by bodybuilder1107 View Post
    Who is your official god

not to step on toes - there are not just going to be 144k people (or better soles) in heaven ... if that is not answered, in this thread let me know, that is either from the johava witnesses or some other satan created version to throw you off the right track...

amcon is offline physical pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside... The pain of quiting will lasts forever!!
    Quote Originally Posted by A2thej2008 View Post
    In this day in age i say to someone "You're so gay" it means in that context not that there homosexual but kinda like your so lame

is it really offensive when someone say dont be Jewish and you hear it?
    Cuz imo its just like a slang word like when i call my friend Jewish for not giving me some fries or he's being stingy so i say devin being a Jew.

is it as bad to you as when say a black person hears then N word?
    good question - he he - not being sarcastic ... that was good

10nispro is offline Productive Member
    I have very close friends that are Jewish and dated a Jewish girl and like learning about Judaism. Why does Judaism seem to attract my belief more than christianity?

just to get your point of refrence are you a practicing jew? or just kinda?

and how close to end times are we - in you op?

and what do you think about what israel is doing to the gaza strip and all the people there?

When you say WE does that include the Messianic Jews? Or do you mean just the Orthodox Jews? Additionally, sincce the prophetic text contained in the types and shadow writings of the Canonical texts point to a Messiah, do you (Orthodox Jews) then believe that is yet to pass? Why do you hide the middle loaf during the passover feast? THanks.
    I didn't realize that I used "WE". I try to avoid that because it implies "all of us."

Anyway, i am referring to orthodox jews. The term messianic jews often refers to jews who believe in jesus, which...dont even ask, the concept is completely ridiculous to myself and most other jews.

but orthodox jews generally believe that the messiah will one day come and initiate the gathering of all jews in israel, then the resurrection of the dead and so on.

here is a cut n paste:" The afikoman (what the part of the middle matza that is hidden is called) custom is explained in various ways. Some say it commemorates the slave mentality of the Israelites in Ancient Egypt. Not knowing where his next meal will come from, a slave will hide away part of his food to eat later. Another interpretation is that the afikoman recalls the poverty of the Jews in Egypt. Like the poor, they always had only a piece of bread, never a whole loaf. According to one explanation, the middle matza is broken into two pieces to symbolize the bread of affliction that the Jews ate in Egypt versus the bread of freedom after the exodus. According to another, splitting the matza recalls the splitting of the Red Sea."

This is typical of Jewish customs. there are often many different interpretations, some of them mystical.

The following explanation is taken from Artscroll, Mesorah Publications, universally considered authoritative by orthodox jews:

"In the Seder [passover ritual] the eating of the afikoman is called Tzafun ["hidden"]. In its plain meaning, this title indicates that the afikoman had been safely hidden away so that it could be eaten at this oint in the meal [Sefer HaToda'ah - an authoritative treatise regarding passover ].

The medieval commentator Rokeach suggests that the custom for the head of the house to place the afikoman under his pillow is alluded to in the verse, How abundant is Your goodness which You have hidden away for those who fear You (Psalms 31:20). This refers to the reward "hidden away" for the God-fearing in the World to Come."
    Last edited by scibble; 01-07-2009 at 02:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc.Sust View Post
    i have jewish business partners. i continually forget when the holidays are, there names and what they are all about. i accidentally called the one on a real holyday and i felt like such a jerk, he was ok with it, but if i knew better it wouldnt have happened. do u mind listing out and explaining briefly the jewish holidays?
    An orthodox Jew would never have answered the phone, so dont feel bad about it. He is obviously "kinda sorta" religious. I'll get back to you on the holidays--that's a biggie.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc.Sust View Post
    i have another question. why is it the jewish religion treated as if it was a nationality? for example, when someone says i am half jewish, to me that make no sense. you either are jewish or you are not. it is like me saying i am half protestant and half russian orthodox. you either are one or the other.
    This is said by people who are not knowledgeable about judaism, including non-religious jews.

I grew up being called "half jewish" by "full jewish" relatives and i resented it. You are correct. You either are or are not. Judaism itself places a national character on its members. You are considered jewish only if your mother was jewish OR alternatively you went through a conversion. So, people who say "half jewish" are FOS. that's just the rule.

Quote Originally Posted by amcon View Post
    not to step on toes - there are not just going to be 144k people (or better soles) in heaven ... if that is not answered, in this thread let me know, that is either from the johava witnesses or some other satan created version to throw you off the right track...
    i just figured the number was a typo. You are right, there's no "number" of people accepted into heaven. Last time i checked there was plenty of room for everyone, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by 10nispro View Post
    I have very close friends that are Jewish and dated a Jewish girl and like learning about Judaism. Why does Judaism seem to attract my belief more than christianity?
    It has that effect on some people but so do other religions have that effect on others. Some jews end up christian. i am certainly too biased to answer that objectively. i do think being close to jews and hearing very rational explanations contribute to attracting your belief.

just to get your point of reference are you a practicing jew? or just kinda?
    I really answered this at great length in an earlier post ^^^. I was fully practicing until very very recently and at the moment am "kinda".

and how close to end times are we - in you op?
    Honestly, I believe my opinion in that matter is irrelevant/meaningless. The general Jewish line on that is any time he wants! Could be later today...could be in a hundred years. Who knows?

and what do you think about what israel is doing to the gaza strip and all the people there?
    i want to be very careful not to turn this into an israel-palestine thread which would get out of hand very quickly. one may just as easily ask "what do you think about what the palestinian terrorists have done and are doing to israeli's?" I dont like war, I disagree with killing. There is no easy answer whenever there is centuries old hatreds involved. also, this should be about judaism and not about my personal opinions so much.

I want to thank all of you for your interest and good questions. some of the jokes are cute, but i want to seriously provide information for people. keep asking.

thanks for single-handedly fukking up my thread kratos

o, and the ash tray quip - classy
    Last edited by scibble; 01-06-2009 at 09:10 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information