ptbyjason Guest

McGwire is retiring

MCGWIRE STRONGLY HINTED of retiring several times this year, when he batted just .187 with 29 home runs as he was slowed by a bum right knee.

McGwire had agreed to a $30 million, two-year contract extension in spring training but never signed the deal.
    “After considerable discussion with those closest to me, I have decided not to sign the extension, as I am unable to perform at a level equal to the salary the organization would be paying me,” McGwire said in a statement which was first released to ESPN. “I believe I owe it to the Cardinals and the fans of St. Louis to step aside, so a talented free agent can be brought in as the final piece of what I expect can be a World Championship-caliber team.”
    The timing of the announcement took the Cardinals by surprise. Manager Tony La Russa he and McGwire have spoken often since the end of the season and the slugger hadn’t told him about the decision.
    “I would believe he would have told the Cardinals first,” La Russa said. “The guy is a first-class guy. I find it hard to believe he wouldn’t call the owners or (general manager Walt) Jocketty first.”
    By announcing his retirement before the free agent season begins instead of closer to opening day, McGwire allows the Cardinals to pursue a replacement.
    Jason Giambi, McGwire’s protege from Oakland, is the top slugger on the market and will likely be targeted by the Cardinals to replace Big Mac.
    McGwire captured the nation’s imagination in 1998 while hitting 70 homers to break Roger Maris’ 37-year-old record. It was a short-lived mark as Barry Bonds hit 73 homers this season.
    McGwire has 583 career home runs, fifth on the career list, and finished his career 17 shy of becoming the fourth player to hit 600 homers.
    McGwire, who began his career with Oakland in 1986, won the World Series with the A’s in 1989 and reached the postseason six times. He was traded to St. Louis midway through the 1997 season.
    “For years I have said my motivation for playing wasn’t for fame and fortune, but rather the love of competing,” McGwire said in the statement. “Baseball is a team sport and I have been lucky enough to contribute to the success of some great teams.”
    McGwire labored through the 2000 season with a bad right knee, missing virtually all of the second half. He had surgery to correct patella tendinitis but again struggled with the knee this season.

partyboynyc is offline Anabolic Member

i like Mcgwire the man but

he's always injured and they were just paying him to strike out the last two years anyway.i think he struck out like (approx.)160 times out of 230 at bats this yr.i mean his sole role is to just pay first base(i say just because i think he only won one Gold Glove) and swing for HRs.he's better off.so oh well.i love the work he does for abused children though.he's big on helping kids so he gets props from me.

RON
    RON is offline Anabolic Member
    I think it was one of the classier things I've seen in sports. He could have stayed and collected a huge salary for at least another year if he wanted. He could have played DH for a few years, like some of these old farts who should have retired years ago. Giambi already said he would like to play there. Now they can afford him.

partyboynyc is offline Anabolic Member

i'm w/ you ron

he would have been another jose canseco, DHing to collect a check and probably getting left off post seasons rosters if he stayed injured.

EXCESS is offline Retired Moderator
    Good decision by McGwire. He had an excellent career!

RON
    God I'm so sick of Canseco. They need to get rid of DH's. It's ruining the game. All these 80yo men need to retire

EXCESS is offline Retired Moderator
    I hate Canseco too. Remember the homerun that bounced off his head when he played outfield?

RON
    Back in the day he was like Sosa now. Horriable fielding but people respect the bat. Now hes just a joke.

dane26 is offline Retired Moderator
    it's too bad. if he wasn't always hurt he could have had a shot at Aarons HR record.

primodonna is offline Female Member
    a classy move by a professional athlete? normally just an oxymoron

maybe if he had just taken some more andro he wouldn't have been hurt so often these past few years
    What happens here, stays here

Pete235 is offline Retired Moderator
    Originally posted by RON
    I think it was one of the classier things I've seen in sports. He could have stayed and collected a huge salary for at least another year if he wanted.
    Very respectable decision by McGwire....it reminds me of when another future Hall of Famer retired several years ago....Ryne Sandberg

PaPaPumP is offline Retired Moderator
    Originally posted by EXCESS
    I hate Canseco too. Remember the homerun that bounced off his head when he played outfield?

What a cack f*ck! He's just a juiced up baseball player who can't run for more than 10 seconds without falling over....wait, that's me.... lol jk

baby mac is offline Associate Member
    Big Mac was my favorite player on and off the field. He was one of the good guys in the game. Its a shame that he and Ripken are both retired now, two great guys. I think its good that he realizes his body can't take the long season any more. I have a lot respect for Mark making this decision.

Thread Information