chinups Guest

Journals by Kurt Cobain

I just finished reading this and would like to see if anyone has opinions on this book.

Chin

Big Rush is offline The Juice Man
    I think Kurt Cobain is way over-rated as far as talent goes...although I do like most of his music

chinups Guest
    Best perfromer of the 90's. Hands down. He actually cared about his fans.....

BossDJ02 is offline Junior Member
    i agreee with big rush. i like nirvana's music but i do agree that cobain is way overrated. but brad nowell from sublime was very talented and a great singer and a wonderful personality.

chinups Guest
    Dude Brad Nowell was the man. But after every song the Kurt sang it looked like he maxed out at the squat rack. He gave everything he had all the time. Fucking Heroin!
    Last edited by chinups; 11-22-2002 at 03:59 PM.

tt333 is offline Senior Member
    Nirvana is one of the best rock and roll band of all time. Will never see another band like Nirvana.

partyboynyc is offline Anabolic Member

i think i should keep a journal

i'm sure it would be much more entertaining.Nirvana is liek my alltimke favorite group.i'm nto into much music besides house, trance, and some classical stuff, but i love nirvana.i still remember the day he died, i was a freshman in college.sad day.he was great

Big Rush is offline The Juice Man

Re: i think i should keep a journal

Originally posted by partyboynyc
    but i love nirvana.i still remember the day he died, i was a freshman in college.sad day.he was great
    damn bro, i remeber that day too...i was in 6th grade

EXCESS is offline Retired Moderator
    I heard that the first thing he wrote in his journal was "Don't read this after I'm gone". If thats the case I'll respect his wishes. Courtney Love is a total disgrace for allowing his private journals to be published. She will always be living on his name.

mekler is offline Associate Member
    bah i still think courtney love had something to do with it. she's just an evil wench in my opinion. RIP kurt cobain, lane staley, srv, 2pac, jimi, etc etc.. and the list goes on and on

tt333 is offline Senior Member

Re: Re: i think i should keep a journal

Originally posted by Big Rush

damn bro, i remeber that day too...i was in 6th grade
    I was in 8th.

Nevermind is offline New Member
    Nirvana is/was The best band of all time, we will never see that lvl of uniqness ever again...nirvanas music was totally new no one had ever heard anything like it thats why they still are so huge even today.

kurt cobain is a legend.

dont bash Nirvana.

sicilian40 is offline Banned
    Kurt's talent may be overated guys but it had less to do with talent. Kurt was the voice for a generation. Now that we are at a threat of war with Iraq and our economy is down just like it was with Bush Sr. people are turning to grunge music. They turned to Kurt. His voice spoke, it represented sadness and the voice of all the teenagers who were sick of the swing of the world. It wasnt about a great guitarist like Hendrix or a Lyrisist like Morrison. It was about a image, a chance to speak out and show the face of a new generation of kids who werent like the old long haired twisted sister lovers, kids who had problems, whos feelings went beyond the drugs and sex, kids whos feelings were overlooked, underated, and never understood. R.I.P. Kurt. The world will never see another.

chinups Guest
    Hey Excess I agree totally. Courtney Love is a piece of shit, hopefully the loot goes to his daughter. I wasn't going to read it but I told my girl that I wanted it and she sprung it on me. However now that I have finished it I am really glad I read it. I have learned alot and now can appreciate him more. He hated the media and tells how he wasn't really addicted to heroin as much as the media says.

Strut99GT is offline Member
    Ah nirvana...Nevermind was the 2nd CD I ever bought (as in, the 2nd non-tape ) Their music really is timeless, just like sicilian said.

Nevermind is offline New Member
    This poem seemed to be about someone similar to Kurt Cobain. Thinking it was cool, I've decided to put it up here.

Richard Cory
    Whenever Richard Cory went downtown,
    We people on the pavement looked at him:
    He was a gentleman from sole to crown,
    Clean favored, and imperially slim.

And he was always quietly arrayed,
    And he was always human when he talked;
    But still he fluttered pulses when he said,
    "Good-morning," and he glittered when he walked.

And he was rich -- yes, richer than a king --
    And admirably schooled in every grace:
    In fine, we thought that he was everything
    To make us wish that we were in his place.

So on we worked, and waited for the light,
    And went without the meat, and cursed the bread;
    And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,
    Went home and put a bullet through his head.

- Edwin Arlington Robinson, 1897

Interesting poem. Forshadows a lot of present society's rich and miserable people. I guess it just goes to show that money isn't everything.

sicilian40 is offline Banned
    Edwin Arlington Robinson is by far my favorite poet, and that is a amazing poem. Very powerful and it shows just how unhappy people may be even when they have everything....

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    Originally posted by Nevermind
    Nirvana is/was The best band of all time, we will never see that lvl of uniqness ever again...nirvanas music was totally new no one had ever heard anything like it thats why they still are so huge even today.

kurt cobain is a legend.

dont bash Nirvana.
    Hey guys i love nirvana and they are a great band, but u are putting them in a league of their own which isn't necessarily deserving.

You guys ever hear of the beatles? They did a lot more then even Nirvana can have ever have hoped to. The uniqueness of the beatles will never be matched is a better statement.

Remember that decade called the 60's? race riots, jfk dead, martin luther king dead, midst of a cold war and threat of complete nuclear annihilation. The beatles came along and really opened up, things were down for america as a whole, nothing was really going our way. The beatles came at the right time. More then anything, they encouraged ppl to write, just write anything. Look at music today, i honestly haven't seen a whole lot of talent the last few years, nothing really coming out, not a whole lot of new faces, especially compared to the 60s and 70s when music was coming from everywhere out of no where.
    The beatles were a beam of light for everyone.

You ever hear that song " Imagine " ? Listen to the words, then ask yourself how big are john lennon's balls for actually writing and producing it at the time he did.
    When the US is actually in a raised sense of alertness ( i.e war, directly after 9/11), there are tons of songs banned from radio play during that time and i guarantee one u will not hear is "imagine" because of how idealistic it is. Of course u'll never hear drowning pool's "Bodies" either but i think u know why that one is banned.

Hey i know the early 90's may not be the best part of life for some americans with the Gulf War and all, but hey things could be a TON worse .

Of course i would still rather listen to nirvana then the beatles, but the beatles made an impact none other can match.

Just for the record, I don't think anyone was trying to assert the revolutionary quality of Nirvana's music, but the symbolic voice for a generation it represented. Since the Beatles were really the first people to truly 'revolutionize' music, they will never be topped in terms of innovativeness.

chinups Guest
    Only prob. saboudian is that I didn't grow up in the sixties I grew up in the 90's so I can relate more toward my era rather then past era's.

ripsid is offline Senior Member
    Music is made up of so many types and each 5 years it changes...Beatles were great for there time and even now. I mean Nirvana was the Beatles of the late 90's. Kurt Cobain spoke to so many people, just like John Lennon did and Paul McCartney did. I remember the day he died like it was yesterday, it was so depressing for me, just like when lennon was shot for others. I was huge Nirvana fan. I saw them 3 months before in San Diego and they were awesome.
    I get angry when it comes to this because my 2 favorites are gone Bradley Nowell Kurt Cobain, rest there souls. Brad was unreal, and the world never really got to hear what he had to offer because he died so early. I have all of Sublime's stuff and a bunch of rare stuff and it's just F'N awesome! I mean hell, Nevermind and 40oz to Freedom, also could thrown in a few others from other bands like ...London Calling, Nevermind the Bullocks, Black album my Black Flag, Holiday in Cambodia, and any Hendrix., they're just un-F'N-real CD's. They're my White Album or Sargeant Peppers! Just as they were for other people. Not dissing the Beatles either! Nothing personal!

EXCESS is offline Retired Moderator
    Rate your bands all you want. I know what I like and I know what I don't like. Where it all falls on a big list of revolutionary bands or voices of a generation is pointless to me. People are so concerned with categorizing music, whether it be genres or music history. What is alternative music anyway? Last I checked, bands like Creed and Nickelback were mainstream artists, but that dickhead that runs the music store still puts them in the alternative section. Like music? Listen to it. Like talking about music? Sorry, my music is too loud.

ripsid is offline Senior Member
    Excess, I totally agree! I'm not gonna rank any music because it's up to who's listening to it! I'm may think Fugazi is the best and someone may think that Creed is. Everyone's inspired by something different.
    Play it Loud! LOUD LOUD!!!!!!!!!!! All for cranking it up!

fast is offline Associate Member
    Nirvana was/is good, but Cobain was really little too overrated

chinups Guest
    Someone explain what you mean by overated. Peopl say he was way overated, well then explain it to me.

Thread Information