Terinox is offline The One & Only

How The Hell Do You Choose A Career???

I'm so confused...and yet I don't seem to care! Its like i'm just playing everything by ear.

First I finished highschool and got accepted to university thinking that I would simply major in computer science, and after 4 years graduate and become a programmer. But BOY do things change. I realized how much really HATED programming, and decided to switch to something else, and business was an option, but I didn't like the math/economics involved!

So, currently I am majoring in Philosophy (like that will get me anywhere), and also plan on majoring in Sociology. Now, I have NO idea what I want to do as a career. I tried speaking with a counsellor at school, but the one I got was quite a bitch, and since I fucked around first year univ. and my grades were so low, she most likely thinks I won't be around for long (which might be true!).

SO HOW do you go about choosing a career? I mean, policing has always been a favourite, but due to eyesight problems that won't happen. Only other thing I can think of is something like teacher. But...i really don't know.

I see so many students in univ. they all have their programs selected and pretty much know what they are gonna do! Damn this life sucks! Only thing keeping me going is the idea of becoming "huge"

Colibri is offline Banned
    I was all set to be a programmer, went to College on a Computing course. It was aload of bull shit needless to say.

Half way through, decided to join the marines, go to my PRMC course in January. Beats a "normal" job

We did Pascal as part of the course, God that was crap. Easiest language ever.

Terinox is offline The One & Only
    Originally posted by Colibri
    I was all set to be a programmer, went to College on a Computing course. It was aload of bull shit needless to say.

Half way through, decided to join the marines, go to my PRMC course in January. Beats a "normal" job

We did Pascal as part of the course, God that was crap. Easiest language ever.
    So your saying I should become a programmer? HAHAHAHAHAHA...just kiddin.

Well, i'm glad things kinda worked out for u, u kind of know what I'm talking about. But like I said, I don't know. I don't even know what it is that I like doing. I mean...shit!

Wake Chick is offline Female Member
    Maybe you should take a year off and travel or work and find what makes u happy and something you would enjoy and are good at. That's what I'm doing. Back to school next fall though
    Wake chicks- We make your boat look good.

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Philosophy and Sociology should make you competitive but you should find a mentor to help get you get where you want to be. I am sure they have pretty good payrol positions in the cops for that. You wouldn't be a foot patrol but more like an INTEREGATOR!

With the Internet you can run searches and find someone, e-mail them and ask what they did to get where they are... degrees, experience, ... do they like what they do?

Thread Information