Most significant world event of your lifetime...

Along the lines of the "Whats your favorite album of all times" thread let me start this one:

What world event within your lifetime marked you the most or sticks out the most in your mind as the most significant.

Being in my mid 30's and having grown up at the height of the cold war insanity, to me the most significant event remains the decline of communism and culminates with the fall of the Berlin Wall. To this day I get chills watching the news scenes of people partying on top of the wall and crowds crossing at the brandenburg gate for the first time since WW2.

Red

EXCESS is offline Retired Moderator
    I think we're all going to have the same answer on this one.

9/11

tt333 is offline Senior Member
    9/11

King Samson is offline Associate Member
    Ditto

Rickson is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Yeah the fall of communism and the berlin wall were big deals but nothing compared to the impact of 9/11 on my life.

You know, I thought about 9/11, but as terrible, shocking and insane as the event was it didn't rock my world and whole system of beliefs as much as the fall of the wall/commie.

Cynical as I am, I have to admit that I was expecting something on the scale of 9/11 to happen in the US sooner or later. With the middle eastern maniacs spreading terror all over the world it was only a question of time before it hit home.

On the other hand the fall of the wall really sideswiped me, I never really saw it coming and it changed my whole view of the world.

Red

Cycleon is offline AR-Hall of Famer / Retired
    Well, many people here are a bit young to really have much memories of the origional Evil Empire. If Regan and Gorby had not done their thing, 9/11 would not have occurred. the fall of communism and the constant threat of total destruction (tho remote) has now given way to the threat of small scale destruction (but far more probable occurence).

Tapout is offline Senior Member
    good point cycleon
    9/11 had the biggest impact to me also

Shredz is offline Respected Member
    9/11 hands down.

silverfox is offline Retired Moderator
    DUe to my age probably go w/ RC on this one, but 9/11 makes you think differently and sorry to say has affected my attitude towards, the far east

palme is offline Rosie Member
    Well i guess when i lost my virginity, but thats not a world event is it? Or...?

9/11

Butch is offline Anabolic Member
    9/11

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    I can't remember this guy's name but he's a big time economist and even bigger now, and will probably win a noble prize.

He claimed that the enron scandal will be much bigger then 9/11. PPL thought he was crazy, but right now we're finding out that he is actually right, which is a scary thought.

I'm kinda surprised no one said anything about some sort of religous event, i don't beleive in god, but hell u always see those black rappers thanking god.

Here's another thought to think about, my physics teacher beleives that the nanotechnology revolution will be as big as or even bigger then the industrial revolution.

Anyways here's my big event, the day that someone figured how the hell to put those ships in those bottles, of course it still amazes me that every time i squeeze the tooth paste it comes out with a perfect stripe every single time. The other thing that amazes me is 24-hour government channels and the fact that there is two of them, i'd like to see the face on the founding fathers' faces about 24 hour coverage. You can see that i only bothered with the big events

Thread Information