saboudian is offline Senior Member

Question Good digital cameras?

Hey guys i wanted to get a digital camera for xmas, that way i can take progress pix as i lean down plus post a few on here to get some criticism. Anyways, i just wanted to know if u guys could tell me some good ones or things to look for or even things to avoid.

thanks guys.

EXCESS is offline Retired Moderator
    I've got a Canon and so does a friend of mine. We have totally different models and they're both great.

Tedmax195 is offline Member
    Stay away from the Kodak DX 3500 it takes shitty pics unless your really close to the subject.

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    If you already have a set of glass and flash the Fuji S2 is an affodable SLR digital (based on Nikon N80) camera body:

Affordable at about 2,400 bucks. Versuses up to 7k for the Kodak, Nikon and Canon bodies.

Fuji Finepix 2600z here and I am MORE than super happy with it... and it doesn't cost $2500... (of course I am not shooting for National Geographic!)

Red

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    yeah i heard as long as its like at least 2 mega pixels, then u're basically set. i don't think santa is gonna spend $2500 on me though, probably $500 at the most

Yeah - the $2500 is just the body. The lenses, flash and other stuff would be another $2500. I have a Nikon F100 kit and would love an S2 for it's competitive price in SLR digital bodies... but not in my budget right now either

I don't know too much on the point and shoot set ups but I can tell you a few things about what to look for.

1. Get one where you can set the aperture which allows you take make the background in focus or blurred. If taking pictures of yourself for progress then you don't want the distracting background.

2. Get one where you can change the shutter speed. So if your trying to get a shot of a buddy falling off a Keg stand you can get him in focus.

3. Get one that goes high in ISO - at least 800. That way you don't get pics with a hard flash when there is low lighting. Again good for progress pics since a hard flash will make you look flat. If you see one that allows you to bounce the flash off the ceiling or walls - that would be ideal... but I don't see that coming for less than $500.

4. MOST IMPORTANT: Get a print without any color correction. Look for color shifts especially in skin tones and magenta high lights. A camera could have a high resolution but not all CCD's are of high quality - ask for a raw print - no corrections made in Photoshop or other software.

All the above should be under $500 for a point-and-shoot camera.

That's my advice. I have never owned or shopped for a point and shoot digital so I can't tell you the good ones. But Nikon and Canon are pioneers in lens and camera quality. If you see one you like post the specs and I can tell ya if it is a good one.

sp9
    sp9 is offline MMA Competition Sentinel
    Cannon A40 Powershot. Very good 2MP camera with great features. Was ranked very high, I think second for 2MP and it is $248-$249 at either Wallmart or BestBuy. I love mine.

Did you ever see ColeD's pics? His camera was really high speed for a point and shoot. A little hot in the highlights but that can probably be avoided. I would like to know what he was using and how much it costs too... you should ask him what kind it was.

His Pics

Thread Information