Pheedno is offline Respected Member

Do any of you give to charities?

I'm doing that this year and was wondering if any of you do. If so, what charties did you contribute to and were you happy with them.
    I've been on give.org for a long time this morning checking financial expendetures for diff. ones and have some picked out to research futhur. I want to make sure the administrative expenses are low and most income goes to programs and fund raising.
    Just wanted to know if any of you have some to recommend. Preferably in Cancer and Childrens cancer research but I'm open to any non-shady charity.

-Pheedno

My employer offers weekly deductions on our pay check to local charities.

A few bucks a week really ads up to help your chosen charity, plus you get a tax deduction receipt at the end of the year.

I give to the my neigbourhoods shelter for battered women. Last year I gave to "Dans la rue" (local charity for homeless kids that does a LOT of 1 on 1 work in the streets). Personally will ONLY give to a local, small and easy to check out charity. I believe strongly in helping out your neigbour before trying to help some faceless charity across the planet. (but thats only my opinon of course!)

Red

Pheedno is offline Respected Member
    Originally posted by Red Ketchup
    My employer offers weekly deductions on our pay check to local charities.

A few bucks a week really ads up to help your chosen charity, plus you get a tax deduction receipt at the end of the year.

I give to the my neigbourhoods shelter for battered women. Last year I gave to "Dans la rue" (local charity for homeless kids that does a LOT of 1 on 1 work in the streets). Personally will ONLY give to a local, small and easy to check out charity. I believe strongly in helping out your neigbour before trying to help some faceless charity across the planet. (but thats only my opinon of course!)

Red
    Thats pretty neat that your employer does that. I was also thinking about donating to a battered womens charity. I don't know, I'm going to do some research on a few I dug up, request their annual finance report and get a copy of their form990 from the IRS.
    I'll probably end up spending a little bit more and give to a couple.

Thread Information