clockworks is offline Anabolic Member

hilarious experience at the gym today...

ok ok, i've read tons of yall's posts about what yall hate in the gym or have you seen this or that type of person in the gym. well i never really experienced it till today...when i finally witnessed a screamer...=)

so i'm in the gym at 1am (damn number theory final took forever) doing my bicep routine (i finally tried high reps, low weight and damn, i was suprised at how hard it was). i'm pretty much alone in the gym doing my thing when i start hearing some grunting. the grunting got progressively louder till i became curious and glipsed at what the hell was going on a few benchs over from me. well there was a rather big (chunky) doode doing flat dumbell press. just looking at him, i'm guessing he weights almost 100 more lbs than i do. well ok, thats funny and all, some guy grunting like he's lifting the world on his shoulders, each rep like its the end of his life. well it gets funnier. he goes to get some water and i look at the weights he's using...20 lbs!!! so he comes back, racks the 20 lbs and grabs the 25 pounders off the rack as if they weighed a ton. the screaming got ridiculous to the point where i thought he was joking or making fun of me or something. when he was done with what sounded like an excruciatingly hard set, he >throws< the weights down with one final yell. you can only imagine the hilarity when he started doing standing dumbell curls with 15 lbs, swinging them like they're golf clubs and screaming as if he's arnold schwarzenegger.

now look, i'm not one to poke fun at people lifting small weights, hell i weigh in at only 155lbs and i'm usually at the bottom end of the barrel when it comes to how much i can lift, but shiiiiit, even at the END of my chest routine i can still rep at 65-70 lbs on flat dumbell press. and again i commend people lifting light weights, heck everyone's gotta start somewhere, at least they're there trying, but its the screaming thats got to go! its sooo pretencious!

weighing over 220 lbs + lifting what my sister can lift + the screaming as if a hardcore bodybuilder = funny to me...=)

-- clocky baby

JP1570 is offline Senior Member
    THat's pretty damn funny. Do you work out at a 24hr. fitness or something??

Cycleon is offline AR-Hall of Famer / Retired
    Darn it Clocky - how did you find me? Those were just my full burn completion sets after I finished my 6 bar curl sets of 12 reps @ 145 - dont be making fun of my primordial grunts, bet youa re just jealous and wish you trained with such ferocious, ear shattering intensity!

Lift Chief is offline Member
    That is really funny bro- everyone does have to start somewhere but you shouldn't scream unless you're a beast.

Carlos_E is offline National Level Bodybuilder/Hall of Famer/RETIRED
    Now you guys got me worried. I make a hell of a grunting noise when I'm doing deadlifts. I'm doing 400 plus so I hope the grunting is appropriate.
    Muscle Asylum Project Athlete

Strut99GT is offline Member
    LMAO

hehe, carlos, if the bar is bending, you have an excuse

Vegas Kid is offline Senior Member
    That is funny but did you ever stop and think why he's working out at 1am? Maybe out of respect to others he waits till late at night.

If a guy can't work out at 1am and do what ever the hell he wants then when can he?

Terinox is offline The One & Only
    Originally posted by Vegas Kid
    That is funny but did you ever stop and think why he's working out at 1am? Maybe out of respect to others he waits till late at night.

If a guy can't work out at 1am and do what ever the hell he wants then when can he?

Good point!!! Maybe it's the only way the poor man can lift!

THE LOUDER YOU ARE . . .

........it seems to make you bigger and tells everyone else "look at me"...atleast thats what they think...i like the silent strength thing.i keep most of it inside and push it out through the arms or legs or whatever im working that day...theres guys that yell and scream with every set so its very cool when i come in the next day and do what they were trying to do and even more with out screaming...and there is gonna be some grunting but over doing it can and does get ridiculous....

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    clocky u a math major? I haven't taken number theory, but thats definitely a crazy class from what i've read and heard about it. Doesn't seem like it would be useful in every day life though, unless u were just trying to impress someone.

clockworks is offline Anabolic Member
    i'm a computer science major. number theory is one of my math sequence electives...=)

about it being crazy...i'm not one for proofs which there is a fair amont of in my class. but the application of the theorems are pretty straightforeward and easy (once you see some examples).

about it being useful in daily life...are you kidding?!?! hehe, i dunno what its like where you go, but the prof went in a very practical direction with it. we spent most of the semester studying congruences and prime number stuff which culminated in a study of how congruences apply to encryption and then public key encryption systems (i.e. RSA public key encryption).

the RSA asymetric encryption stuff is kinda cool. even if you know the algorithm used to encrypt something, its extremely difficult break the encryption. the reason has to do with the fact that even if you know the public key, you can't derive the private key. the reason is shown via all the congruence and prime number stuff we studied and has to do with prime factoring very large numbers.

anyways, i'm rambling now...what do you study? where? do you like it?

-- clocky baby

P.S. in response to the other replies to this thread...hehe, you guys are funny...=P

P.S.S. strut, if you're reading this, its ok if you don't understand. not much creative thought is expected of you EE majors, hahaha...=)

Originally posted by saboudian
    clocky u a math major? I haven't taken number theory, but thats definitely a crazy class from what i've read and heard about it. Doesn't seem like it would be useful in every day life though, unless u were just trying to impress someone.

Strut99GT is offline Member
    Originally posted by clockworks

P.S.S. strut, if you're reading this, its ok if you don't understand. not much creative thought is expected of you EE majors, hahaha...=)

Damn you!!!!!

nuke is offline Member
    I love these stories...
    If you have to grunt like youre lifting planet earth, you might be doing too much weight or you just may need to shut the heck up...And exhale///

LOL !!

fast is offline Associate Member
    LOL

Thread Information