Commander_Bash is offline Junior Member

Anyone here on this board work as emt's or paramedics

In january i start the fdny ems academy for 3 months. I hear its real tough the material you have to learn in a short amount of time. I'm just wondering if anyone on this board work as emt's or paramedics, if so how do you like your job?

shorty2big is offline Member
    I'm cert as an EMT, but not practicing. The course was a little fast paced. Just do your work and don't fall behind. You will be fine brother.

I'm a certified firefighter/paramedic, and I absolutely love it. It is without a doubt, THEE BEST JOB IN THE WORLD. There isn't a day that goes by that I regret what I do. I encourage anybody that has any interest in it. Good luck at the academy.

Tapout is offline Senior Member
    i worked as a emt for 5 years and changed careers 4 years ago. sometimes i miss working on the ambulance but for the most part dont.
    ---sleep patterns always fried--i worked 24hr shifts in a busy area
    so it was up all night,the next night off shift sleep 12 hrs,the next night sleep for 5 or 6 cause not tired then up for another 24. it takes a toll on the immune system
    ---saw some crazy shit but also some very bad and sad things that you never forget
    ---pay not very good
    ---always exposed to things. exposed to tb and had to take medication for 6 months also exposed to spinal menigitis 3 times and had to take med for that. needle sticks,out in lighting storms,broken glass and always some 300lb fat person with neck pain in every fender bender that you have to board up and carry out.
    BUT
    ---saw some great things and made a difference in peoples lives. saved people--best 3
    a pregnant lady--saved her life and babys life when bp went to high--she thanked me 2 years later in grocery store
    saved a person who coded(heart stopped) in a church service who again thanked me later
    saved a man, off duty,in grocery store(eat too much always in grocery store)who coded--did cpr and worked the code when truck got there--drs told him and his wife he would have been dead if not for me--my wife and i see them and meet with them when they come into town now they are like family

so see some good stuff,do some good things but after my son was born i was unable to do it any more could not work on kids after that
    good luck bro

Commander_Bash is offline Junior Member
    Thanks man.... its definitly an under paid job and a tough one at that... the only reason im becoming a emt is to become a firefighter.....

Tapout you seen a lot of stuff for only 5 years working...i can imagine the people who retire as emt's....by the way where did you work what state?

Thread Information