saboudian is offline Senior Member

What do u guys think about this camera?

Hey guys, i started a thread a while back about digital cameras. And i know some guys like Warrior said just post the one u're thinking about, and we'll tell u the good/bad. While my mom already bought it, and when i told her that all u guys on here could tell me whether its good or bad she just decided to give it to me today. So here it is

http://computer.worldtrade888.com/we...80&Language=EN

I don't know how to post pix yet, so thats the link to it though.
    It should be an RCA SX210M, 2.1 megapixels

Alot of this is gibberish to me, so plz tell me all the good and bad because i can still take it back and get another one. Thanx guys

Hey another thing i wanted to add, i think this camera only has a hard flash. It just seems like a while back when i used a hard flash on a reg camera, all my bodybuilding pix of myself made me look really flat and obese. I think warrior mentioned something about a flash bouncing off walls or something like that, if u could plz tell me more about this and if u know of any models that have different types of flashes lemme know too since i'm gonna be using this for mostly progress pix.

bump

abstrack is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    hey bro, go to ubid.com
    i got a 600$ nikon camera there
    for 300$ it is refurbished but it came with a manufactures warranty as a new cam would and i got the cam at half the price. you can get some mad deals on shit at that site!!

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    ISO is only 100? That seems pretty small for digital. You would have a hard flash (which would fill in any progress pics you take indoors - AKA, you would look flat). I believe most point and shoot digital cameras allow you to use up to 800 - 1200 ISO/ASA.

Originally posted by Warrior
    ISO is only 100? That seems pretty small for digital. You would have a hard flash (which would fill in any progress pics you take indoors - AKA, you would look flat). I believe most point and shoot digital cameras allow you to use up to 800 - 1200 ISO/ASA.
    Hey warrior i'm not familiar with all this crazy lingo. Whats ISA/ASA? I know i got a hard flash, and thats not what i wanted because like u said it makes u look flat. Can u recommend any other cameras that have different types of flashes and are still pretty cheap?

ISO/ASA is how sensitive the CCD (basically, digital film) is too light. The higher the number the more sensitive it is, which would require less flash.

What's your price range?

Originally posted by Warrior
    ISO/ASA is how sensitive the CCD (basically, digital film) is too light. The higher the number the more sensitive it is, which would require less flash.

What's your price range?
    So in other words, for bodybuilding pix u'd want a high ISO/ASA right?

My parents said i could take this camera back and then use that money how ever i want. I'm not quite sure how much it costed but i would definitely be willing to throw some of my money in if i knew it was worth the money and my bodybuilding pix would turn out good. I would definitely say under $500, but closer to probally $400 if i could get one.

Thanx for the help warrior.

I'd say if you're getting the camera (ie: mom already bought it) then at least try it out and see how you like it. Play with it a bit.

You may realize it does what you want it to do. Not everyone needs professional grade or high grade equipment to take snapshots.

I've done photography since I was in high school and am quite a purist, any serious work I do is with my almost fully manual SLRs (Minolta X700 and Nikon FE-2). I do not like point'n'shoot or fully auto PHD camereas (Push Here Dummy).

Having said that, this is only a hobby to me and I am not a professional photographer. I do not do this for a living or even for money.

Thats why when I decided to buy a digital camera, I went for a simple model... A 2.1mp Fuji FinePix 2600 was my choice (good image quality, one of the best battery life out there and pleasant to use). For the price I paid, I am VERY happy with what it does.

Of course it's only a simple point'n'shoot camera with a zoom, but I only use it for snaps and convenience, and it does that job VERY well. When I get real anal about a picture, then out comes the Minolta or Nikon and the Nikkor lenses.

One worthy addition to a point'n'shoot digicam is 1 or 2 small slave flashes to fill in, they make a big difference in the quality of the photos (gets rid of funky shadows).

What the other bros said about better cameras with more options and more control is definetly true... but ask yourself, do you need that much control, are you into photography hard core enough to justify it of will you be happy taking snapshots?

Red

Well, Red Ketchup is being a bit more economical - I think you should get something you will be happy with. Otherwise you spend more money replacing it later. And if you want to get shots of your BB progression - that's a good thing to keep in mind when choosing.

On that note, I am not vey familiar with point and shoot digitals and I obviously can't tell you that you need a Kodak 760...

But I would say for camera gear, you get what you pay for - especially with lenses. Look at the Nikon, Canon (sucks, j/k - inside joke) and other more solid brands.

BHphoto.com has a used Canon G2. It retails at about $700 bucks but BHphoto.com has one used right now for $469. I bought a few lenses from them used and they were in awesome condition... and lenses can be a tricky thing to buy used. But you can look around the BH Web site for others too.

The reason I thought it would be good for you is because it is based on a simply design that makes it easier to use. It has a hot shoe if you choose to get a flash later on - to do a bounceor off camera flash... get creative. It's a 4.0 megapixel CCD with a shit load of image saving options. Comes with Photoshop LE 5.0. ISO 50, 100, 200 or 400 are the options (I am starting to notice that the point and shoot digitals don't have real high ISO/ASAs)... it's a Canon - which even though I am partial to Nikon, those are the industry standards and Nikon and Canon are your best quality buys. Kodak for digital too, but I don't think they make any point and shoot models.

Personally, I shoot wet and scan digital with a film scanner - but I am a professional photographer who is quite anal about photography

(BTW - Red, Nikon here too brah - F100, awesome camera)
    Last edited by Warrior; 12-22-2002 at 07:09 PM.

This is a pic of what it looks like. I tried to paste the link but it doesn't seem to direct. They have two right now - and they move fast...

Here are the specs on it (another good thing is it shoots fast! No waiting... in fact it shoots up to 5 frames per second , that is really good for these types of cameras *Tim Taylor Grrrrr - more power*):

The design of the Canon PowerShot G2 is based on the popular PowerShot G1, with an elegant champagne metallic coverplate and an enlarged handgrip for better ergonomics. The Canon G2 has many features in common with its predecessor, including a superbly sharp high-speed 7-21mm f/2.0-2.5 zoom lens (equivalent to 34-102mm in the 35mm format), a Vari-Angle LCD viewfinder, a conventional camera body design, a high-speed plug-and-play USB interface, compatibility with Canon EX-series Speedlite flash units, and compatibility with Type I and II CompactFlash memory cards, including IBM's series of Microdrives.

Equipped with a 1/1.8-inch, 4.0 megapixel CCD sensor, the Canon PowerShot G2 allows users to produce full-color, high-resolution images up to 2272 x 1704 pixels. The camera also offers three additional resolution settings of 1600 x 1200, 1024 x 768 and 640 x 480. The added resolution helps users to produce sharper enlargements with finer detail than is possible with 3.3 megapixel cameras. For maximum flexibility, the Canon PowerShot G2 provides users with a selection of 13 image quality settings, including 3 JPEG compression modes (Superfine, Fine and Normal) at any resolution. It also features Canon's exclusive RAW mode for maximum control over image attributes, such as white balance, contrast, sharpness, saturation and bit depth, without image-degrading artifacts. By combining the G2's RAW file capabilities with its optional ISO 50 sensitivity setting, users can achieve higher image quality than any competitive model on the market today. The Canon PowerShot G2 uses RGB primary color filters on the CCD chip for maximum color reproduction accuracy. This feature, together with proprietary noise reduction and digital signal processing, works behind the scenes to deliver top-notch image quality that's unique to Canon.

Key Features

•_ 4.0 Megapixel Optical resolution
    •_ Faster Signal Processing and Lower Power Consumption
    •_ 3-Point Autofocus and Manual Focus Settings
    •_ Histogram Display
    •_ Continuous Shooting Modes
    1.5 frames per second for up to 9 frames, or 2.5 frames per second for up to 5 frames in Large/Fine mode.
    •_ 13 Exposure Modes
    Divided into 2 basic categories: the Image Zone and the Creative Zone.
    •_ Three Types of Metering
    Center-Weighted Average, Spot and Evaluative.
    •_ Direct Printing
    With Card Photo Printer CP-10.
    •_ Image Management Software Suite
    Includes Adobe PhotoShop 5.0 LE.
    •_ Available Accessories
    Including Lens adapters, flash units and power options.

Hey Warrior thanks for your help. I don't know too much about cameras but i trust u since u're into photography that u know u're shit. I think i'm gonna follow your suggestion about the cannon g2, i wouldn't mind the camera i have right now like Red said, but since i'm using it for progress pix and i'm gonna post em here i definitely want them to look good. Again Warrior thanks for helpin a bro out.

Hey warrior what do u think about this one

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bh1.sph/...specifications

It looks like the same thing except for the megapixels, which i heard is mainly just for zooming in, i'd really like your feedback. Just wanted to see if i could save a couple bucks if i could.

Originally posted by saboudian
    Hey warrior what do u think about this one

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bh1.sph/...specifications

It looks like the same thing except for the megapixels, which i heard is mainly just for zooming in, i'd really like your feedback. Just wanted to see if i could save a couple bucks if i could.
    The links work on cookies so I got redirect to the homepage. Tell me the brand, model and price and I will look for it...

alright here it is

Canon

PowerShot S200 Digital Elph, 2.0 Megapixel, 2x Optical/2.5x Digital Zoom, Point-and-shoot, Digital Camera

Tell me what u think, to me it looks like same thing except for megapixels, tell me how much of a difference it would make if i don't use the zoom in that much and any other differences.

thanx again warrior

Obviuosly when you go from a powerful camera to one about a thirs the price - you give up some features... here are some differences that I noticed:

You lose about half the image quality...

It weighs less than half the G2

Aperture is only f/2.8-f/4.0 the other goes up to f/8 - which means you will have little control over getting a blury background. Which can be a cool effect in itself - that is unless you were shooting pictures inside and you wanted the whole room in focus to include people that are scattered about...

4 seconds to record each image versus 1 second with the G2

No hot shoe if you wanted to get a different or more effective flash later on...

ISO/ASO is the same.

There are some other things too, like the video capture selections, and the battery type - but the PowerShot S200 is obviously not going to have all the same features and quality as the G2 but still a functional camera - it's you call brah.

If you want something pretty basic for occasions than the PowerShot S200 will do. If you want something with high quality and plenty of good features because you see yourself using it alot - then the G2.

Don't get the PowerShot S230 - the focus length sucks. 2 feet - the S200 will focus with 6 inches.

... I am looking while I type - and SHIT found a good one with an ISO/ASA up to 800, that is sensitive. PowerShot S30, 3.2 Megapixel, 3x Optical/3.2x Digital Zoom, Point-and-shoot, Digital Camera. NEW:$449 Looks like an awesome camera. It focuses in Macro mode so you could take a photo of a Deca vial if you wanted too (I don't even think the G2 has a Macro setting). Aperture f2.8/f4.9 - f8.0 - which is good... plenty of focus distance and at ISO/ASA 800 and f2.8 you could possible shoot progress pics indoors with no flash. 1.5 seconds to process a shot. No hot shoe but the built in flash is pretty powerful - up to 16 feet. Takes type I and type II memory cards. Doesn't come with Photoshop - but I hear you can download 7.0 off Morpheus for free or buy a legit one off E-Bay...

For your purposes I would say the PowerShot S30 is better than the G2. And a shit load better than the PowerShot S200.

I have to agree with Warrior, that S30 looks pretty impressive! ISO up to 800 and f2.4? Wow... not bad, specially for the price!

Red

What is a hot shoe anyways?

I guess the main thing i'm looking at is the ISO/ASA for the s30 is twice that of the s200. And from what i understand thats what really matters when it comes to bodybuilding pix. I just have to figure out if $200 more, is something i can convince my parents thats its worth. Even if i spend some of my money on it, they don't like it unless they really think its worth it. So if u have any non-technical layman terms suggestion i can tell my parents i'll take em.

Oh and if u happen to find another site or place that has them used but still in very good condition or just another site with great deals lemme know. Thanx for the help again.

KeyMastur is offline VET
    haven't read many of these threads yet, but when you are ready to buy your camera, head on over to :

www.pricegrabber.com

where you can find the lowest price from an online retailer.

Originally posted by KeyMastur
    haven't read many of these threads yet, but when you are ready to buy your camera, head on over to :

www.pricegrabber.com

where you can find the lowest price from an online retailer.
    Some of the prices are about the same as on the site that warrior mentioned but the s30 is $449 at bhphotovideo.com vs $368 at pricegrabber, thats a huge difference if i go with the s30. Thanx for throwing out that link, its gonna save me some $.

Right now i'm definitely seriously considering the canon s30 but i'm gonna look at cameras probably all day tommorrow so if i stumble onto any other contenders i'll let ya know and if u find any better ones lemme know too.

Thanx again for the help guys.

abstrack is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    i have a nikkon coolpix880, great camera here are the specs
    nikon coolpix 880 major features
    3.34-megapixel 1/1.8-in. CCD for ultrahigh-definition 2,048 x 1,536-pixel images
    * Newly designed 2.5x Zoom-Nikkor lens with focal range of 8-20mm (equivalent to 38-95mm in 35mm [135] camera format); digital zoom up to 4x magnification (10x when combined with optical zoom)
    * Nikon's new algorithm drastically enhances image quality
    * Advanced total digital image control
    * 256-segment Matrix Metering
    * Matrix Auto White Balance
    * 5-Area Multi AF

* Macro shooting as close as 4cm
    * Best-Shot Selector (BSS)

Versatility Defined

* Scene Modes—choose from 11 different "scenes" (Portrait, Party/Indoor, Night Portrait, Beach/Snow, Landscape, Sunset, Night Landscape, Fireworks Show, Close Up, Copy, Back Light)
    * Versatile exposure control with Programmed Auto [P], Aperture-Priority Auto [A], Manual [M], Exposure Compensation and Auto Bracketing capabilities
    * Advanced five-mode built-in Speedlight

Quick Response

* One-Touch Start (with the Mode dial set to AUTO)
    * Approx. 0.1 sec. shutter release time lag
    * Overall high-speed operation from zooming and autofocus to data processing and transfer
    * Quick Review lets you simultaneously confirm an image you've just taken (1/4 of the LCD) and view a scene; during review, the user can release the shutter; the user can even view the image at full frame and delete it, or view previously captured images frame-by-frame
    * Movie mode enables reproduction of QVGA-size images in QuickTime® file format for up to 40 sec. at approx. 15 fps.
    * Ultra High-speed Continuous mode captures 70 QVGA-size (320 x 240 pixels) images at up to approx. 30 fps.
    * USB interface for data transfer at 2.5 sec. per full-size frame in Normal mode

Increased Operability

* Compact body design with fully retractable zoom lens
    * Superb operability with ergonomic design for easy handling, intelligent button layout and directional Multi Selector
    * Easy-to-view, 1.8-in., 110,000-dot, low-temperature polysilicon TFT LCD monitor
    * Extended battery life of approx. 110 min. with a 2CR5 (DL245) lithium battery or approx. 90 min. with an optional rechargeable Lithium-ion Battery (EN-EL1)
    * Compatible with Telephoto, Wideangle and Fisheye Converters (optional; Step Down Ring Lens Adapter UR-E2 is required)
    * Slide Copying Adapter (via UR-E2) and multi-functional Remote Cord optionally available

Nikon COOLPIX 880 Specifications
    Type of camera Digital camera
    CCD 1/1.8-in. high-density CCD; total number of pixels: 3.34 million
    Image size 2,048 x 1,536 pixels; XGA-size (1,024 x 768), VGA-size (640 x 480) selectable
    Lens 2.5x Zoom-Nikkor; f = 8~20mm [35mm (135) format equivalent to 38~95mm]/F2.8~4.2 with macro; 9 elements in 7 groups; all elements are made of environmentally friendly glass; Nikon Super Integrated Coating (SIC) applied
    Digital zoom Up to 4x in 0.2x steps; operable using zoom buttons
    Autofocus Contrast-detect TTL AF; 5-Area Multi AF or Spot AF selectable
    Focus modes 1) Continuous AF mode (when using LCD monitor), 2) Single AF mode (when not using LCD monitor and/or selectable from shooting menu), 3) Manual (48 steps from 4cm to infinity () with Focus Confirmation indication)
    Shooting distance 40cm to infinity (); 4cm to infinity () in Macro mode
    Optical viewfinder Real-image zoom viewfinder; magnification: 0.4~1.0x; frame coverage: approx. 80%; LED indication
    LCD monitor 1.8-in., 110,000-dot, low-temp. polysilicon TFT LCD; brightness/hue adjustment; frame coverage: approx. 97% (through/freeze image)
    Auto OFF mode 30 sec.; can also be set manually (1/5/30 min.)
    Storage File format: Uncompressed TIFF or compressed JPEG, or QuickTime® movie
    Media: CompactFlash™ (CF) Card
    No. of frames with 8/16/64/96MB CF Card (approx.)
    Image size FULL XGA VGA
    Image quality
    HI 0/1/6/10 - -
    FINE 5/10/40/61 19/39/159/238 48/97/390/585
    NORMAL 10/20/81/121 38/76/309/459 88/177/725/1,064
    BASIC 19/39/159/238 71/144/588/867 161/324/1,300/1,951

Shooting modes Fully automatic mode; 11 scene modes (Portrait, Party/Indoor, Night Portrait, Beach/Snow, Landscape, Sunset, Night Landscape, Fireworks Show, Close Up, Copy, Back Light); custom modes (P, A, M and full custom)
    Shooting menu 1) White balance, 2) Metering, 3) Continuous, 4) Best-Shot Selector (BSS), 5) Lens, 6) Image Adjustment (Auto/Normal/ More Contrast/Less Contrast/Lighten/Darken/Black & White), 7) Image Sharpening, 8) Image size/quality, 9) Sensitivity, 10) Exposure, 11) Focus, 12) Folder setting, 13) Card format
    Capture modes 1) Single, 2) Continuous, 3) Multi-Shot 16 (16 frames in 1/16 size), 4) VGA Sequence, 5) Ultra High-speed Continuous (approx. 30 fps for 70 QVGA-size images), 6) Movie (up to 40 sec. for QVGA-size movie at 15 fps)
    Exposure metering 4-mode TTL metering; 1) 256-segment Matrix, 2) Centre-Weighted, 3) Spot and 4) AF Spot
    Shutter Mechanical and charge-coupled electronic shutter; 8 to 1/1,000 sec. and Bulb (up to 60 sec.; picture noise may appear)
    Aperture Electromagnetically controlled preset aperture; Range: Two stops (f/2.8 and f/7.8 [W], f/4.2 and f/11.3 [T])
    Exposure control 1) Programmed, 2) Aperture-Priority Auto, 3) Manual; Exposure Compensation (±2 EV in 1/3 EV steps); Auto Exposure Bracketing (5 steps within ±2/3 EV)
    Exposure range EV 0~16 (W), EV 1.2~17.2 (T) (ISO 100 equivalent)
    Sensitivity (approx.) ISO 100 equivalent; 100, 200, 400, Auto; can be controlled in any exposure mode
    White balance 1) Matrix Auto White Balance with TTL control, 2) 5-mode Manual with fine tuning [Fine (Sunny)/Incandescent/Fluorescent/Cloudy/Speedlight], 3) Preset
    Self-timer 10 sec. or 3 sec. duration
    Built-in Speedlight Shooting range: 0.4~2.5m (T), approx. 0.4~3.7m (W), approx. 0.2~2.5m (Macro at T)
    Flash control: Sensor flash system
    Flash modes: 1) Auto Flash, 2) Flash Cancel, 3) Anytime Flash, 4) Slow Sync, 5) Red-Eye Reduction
    Playback function 1) Quick Review, 2) 1 frame, 3) Movie, 4) Thumbnail (4/9 segments), 5) Slide show, 6) Zoom playback (up to 4x); Histogram indication/highlight point display; Focus confirmation indication; Hide and protect attributes can be set to each image
    Delete function Deletes all frames or selected frames
    Interface USB interface or Serial interface (Windows®: 115kbps, Macintosh®: 230kbps)
    Platform Windows® Macintosh®
    USB OS: Windows® 98/98SE, Windows® 2000 or later pre-installed model
    CPU: MMX® Pentium#174; or later OS: Mac® OS 8.6 or later (Only built-in USB ports are supported)
    Models: iMac™, iBook™, Power Macintosh® G3 (Blue/White), Power Mac™ G4 or later, PowerBook® G3 (USB built-in model) or later
    Serial OS: Windows® 95/98/98SE, NT4.0, Windows® 2000 or later OS: Mac® OS 8.1 or later (Only built-in Serial ports are supported)

Note: Serial Cables (SC-EW3 for Windows® and SC-EM3 for Macintosh®) are optional.

Video output NTSC or PAL (selectable)
    I/O terminal Power input; Video output; Digital output (USB/Serial)
    Power requirements Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL1 (optional), 6V 2CR5 (DL245) lithium battery; AC Adapter/Battery Charger EH-21 (optional)
    Battery life Approx. 110 min. when using LCD monitor and 2CR5 (DL245) lithium battery at normal temperature (20°C)
    Approx. 90 min. with rechargeable Li-ion battery
    Dimensions (W x H x D) Approx. 99.5 x 75 x 53.2mm
    Weight (without battery) Approx. 275g
    Accessories included* Lens cap, Wrist strap, Video cable, CompactFlash™ Card, USB cable, 6V 2CR5 (DL245) lithium battery, NikonView Ver. 3 CD-ROM
    Optional accessories Soft Case CS-E880, Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL1, AC Adapter/Battery Charger EH-21, CompactFlash™ Cards, PC Card Adapter EC-AD1, Serial Cables (SC-EW3 for Windows® and SC-EM3 for Macintosh®), Remote Cord MC-EU1, Telephoto Converters TC-E2 (2x)/TC-E3ED (3x), Wideangle Converters WC-E24/WC-E63, Fisheye Converter FC-E8, Slide Copying Adapter ES-E28, Step Down Ring Lens Adapter UR-E2
    abstrack@protonmail.com

Alright guys, looks like i'm going with the canon s30. I tried yahoo shopping and i got a price even $35 lower for the s30 then the price i got at pricegrabber.com. I think it was $333 without S&H. I'll probably order it in a day or two. Thanx again for all the help guys.

Thread Information